Let's consider how to choose the right juicer - the types of such devices, their features, important purchase criteria, popular manufacturers and the best models.
A juicer is more than just a fresh juicer. With its help, you can make fruit and vegetable purees, various cocktails, as well as prepare delicious juice for the winter. In today's review, we will find out how to choose a juicer for your home. We will analyze the types of devices, determine the most important criteria to be guided by when buying, find out the best manufacturers and give examples of popular models.
How to choose a fruit and vegetable juicer: varieties
Such devices are divided according to different criteria. The following classification is often applied:
- citrus models;
- centrifugal devices;
- screw juicers.
The device of a specific type is selected based on the purpose for which you will use it in the future. To make it easier for you to understand this issue, we will analyze the named types separately.
Citrus juicer: key features
With this category, everything is clear by the name. With the help of these devices, people get delicious fresh citrus fruits. There are electric and manual juicers of this kind on the market. The considered type of device has a simple design, including:
- Cone of a certain diameter - half of a citrus fruit is planted on it. This structural element has a ribbed surface. By rotating the cone (in electric models) or the fruit itself (in hand-held devices), the juice is squeezed out.
- Sieve or separator - a bowl with holes located under the cone. The squeezed juice flows through it, while the pulp remains on the surface and does not fall into the compartment with the drink.
- Juice tank - the lowest compartment into which the resulting fresh flows down. Often, its volume is 0.5 liters (more than enough for a serving for 1-2 people). After the end of cooking, the top of the juicer is removed and the juice is poured into glasses.
Electric models also have a box with technical components. It is even lower. In this area, the power supply is located, as well as the motor for rotating the cone.
Citrus juicers have some pros and cons that are common to all models of this kind:
|Very simple design and clear principle of use.||Limited scope. You will not get juice from vegetables, apples or berries.|
|Easy to care for. These juicers are quickly washed both by hand and in the dishwasher.|
|Economical in terms of energy consumption. Manual models do not consume electricity at all; mains powered devices consume about 25-30 W (peak).||Making a rather large amount of juice (more than 2 servings) takes a long time.|
|Quite low price.|
|Convenient storage: these models do not take up much space in the kitchen cabinet.|
This category of juicers includes both budget models (PHILIPS Daily Collection HR2738 / 00, ARIETE 0408) and more expensive ones (REDMOND RJ-913, PETRA CP 10.00).
Centrifugal Fruit Juicer
This is a more versatile device option. Centrifugal models are suitable for almost any fruit; there are even juicers that allow you to get drinks from seeds with seeds. The main difference between centrifugal devices and citrus models is the principle of operation. Here everything happens like this:
- Fruits are crushed on a special grater.
- After that, they enter a separator, which has a conical or cylindrical shape.
- This separator separates the juice from the pulp.
- The pulp (or cake) is accumulated in one compartment, and the juice in the other. Often, a separate container is not provided for the juice at all. It immediately comes out through a special tube, under which you need to substitute a glass or a separate bowl.
It is extremely important to remember that the shape of the separator plays a key role in centrifugal juicers. The differences between the two options are as follows:
- Conical cages, as a rule, have the function of automatic cake removal. The separated pulp enters a special compartment, as we mentioned above in passing. Often, to activate this function, you need to press a special button on the juicer control panel. It seems to be convenient (especially when you need to process a large number of fruits). But there is also another side of the coin. Conical separators produce less juice. In terms of efficiency, models with such separators are inferior even to old manual juicers. When picking up the pulp, you will notice that it is moist enough. This suggests that there is a decent amount of juice left in it, which you will no longer squeeze out.
- Cylindrical separators much more productive. After processing, the cake turns out to be dry, and the amount of juice comes out quite large. Therefore, if efficiency is in the first place for you, it is better to choose centrifugal juicers with cylindrical separators.
There are a few more points due to which centrifugal models are inferior to manual and auger devices. The separators get quite hot during operation. Such heat treatment of juice leads to the loss of some vitamins and useful elements. In addition, the finished fresh is often foamed.
Summing up for this category of devices, we can highlight the following advantages and disadvantages:
|Multitasking. Centrifugal juicers can handle almost any fruit (both vegetable and fruit).||The finished juice is often frothy.|
|Good working speed. This type of juicer is ideal for processing a large number of fruits (for example, when harvesting juice for the winter).||The noise level that juicers emit during operation is quite high. You can find a relatively quiet model, but this is problematic.|
|Hassle-free care. The cake container is washed in just a few seconds. It also takes a minimum of time to clean the separator. True, in models with a cylindrical separator, flushing must be done often, but it passes quickly, so this fact cannot be considered a problem.||During processing, the separator heats up, and with it the juice. This leads to the loss of many of the beneficial properties of the drink.|
|Not very high prices. Of course, centrifugal devices are more expensive than models for citrus fruits, but their purchase does not deal a strong blow to the wallet either.||Centrifugal juicers consume a lot of electricity. Among all the other varieties, they are the most disadvantageous in this regard.|
The following models are quite popular with this type of juicers: PHILIPS Avance Collection HR1918 / 82, ARDESTO JEG-1000, VITEK VT-3653 ST, PHILIPS Viva Compact HR1832 / 02).
Auger juicer: what is it
This type of household appliances under consideration differs from the previous category in that the juice is squeezed out not due to centrifugal force, but due to the effect on the fruit of the auger - a rod with a solid helical surface along the longitudinal axis. The principle of operation of such models of juicers is quite simple:
- The auger screws press on fruits and vegetables, helping to separate the juice from the pulp.
- The liquid seeps through a special sieve into a separate reservoir.
- The remaining cake is retained by the sieve surface and does not fall into the juice compartment.
The auger does not heat up during operation. Thus, the liquid does not lend itself to heat treatment and retains all its useful properties.The auger juice extraction technique is more gentle and effective. This type of juicer is used by fans of healthy eating. Of course, a certain percentage of vitamins is still lost, but it is very small, so the benefits of such juices are most of all.
By the degree of versatility, screw models are considered champions at all. You can use these juicers on vegetables, any kind of fruit, soaked seeds, herbs and even pine needles.
Despite all the positive qualities outlined above, screw devices also have weaknesses. You can find the pros and cons of these devices below:
|Maximum preservation of vitamins and nutrients. Juice from a screw-type juicer does not heat up, therefore it does not lose its original qualities.||The production of the beverage takes longer (compared to centrifugal models).|
|The finished drink is homogeneous and without foam.|
|The screw models produce a very large amount of juice.||Auger juicers are quite expensive.|
|The devices do not make a lot of noise during operation.|
Among the models of the screw type, Hotpoint Ariston SJ 15XL UP0, BOSCH MESM731M, MOCCO SL001 can be distinguished.
Choosing a fruit and vegetable juicer: what to look for
When you have decided on the purpose of the application and the type of device, we can say that you managed to complete half of the work. But in order for the purchased device to meet your needs as much as possible, several more factors must be taken into account. First of all, you need to look at such moments:
- Power… This parameter affects not only the duration of continuous operation, but also the purity of the finished drink. Perhaps for some it will be a surprise, but with a very fast rotation of the separator (in powerful devices), the juice contains quite a lot of pulp, although it is not extracted for a very long time, and after work there is less cake left. The purest juice is obtained at a low rotation speed, although in this case a lot of cake remains, which must be washed off. Thus, if you are a connoisseur of pulp juice, you need to spend on more powerful models. For lovers of clean drinks, medium-power devices are suitable. Energy consumption directly depends on the type of juicer. On average, they are as follows: up to 100 W in citrus models, 200-500 W in screw-type devices and 500-2000 W in centrifugal juicers.
- Number of speeds… If you are thinking about how to choose a juicer for fruits and vegetables, be sure to pay attention to the speed parameters. Firstly, different operating modes are suitable for different fruits. Also, the number of processed products plays a significant role. Centrifugal models are real speed record holders. In them, this figure can reach 30,000 rpm. Centrifugal juicers are ideal for processing large yields of vegetables and fruits. However, you need to consider the type of juice you want to get. If the presence of pulp will not be a problem for you, feel free to set the highest speed mode. This way you can process a lot of fruits with a minimum of time. For a cleaner juice, it is better to use low speeds. It is also recommended to process small berries at low speeds. If you do not deal with a large harvest and do not like juices with pulp, then feel free to give preference to auger models. In them, the speed of work reaches 100 rpm. The drink turns out clean, although it will take more time to prepare it. For the preparation of large stocks for the winter, such options are not suitable, but for the daily cooking of fresh - they are just right. In addition, auger juicers are more energy efficient and produce less noise during operation.
- Body material… First of all, this aspect affects the strength and durability of the device. Plastic appliances look nice and are easy to clean.However, such juicers are easily damaged by physical impact (impact, falling on the floor). Anodized aluminum fixtures look even more stylish, and on top of that, they are much stronger. To show signs of damage (for example, dents), much more serious physical impact is needed. Well, the leaders in strength are stainless steel devices. These juicers take longer to wear out and take impacts better. Moreover, they look expensive and presentable. The main disadvantage of metal models is their price (it is always higher than that of plastic devices). In principle, you can save on material, although you will have to treat the technique more carefully.
- Tank volume for juice and cake… The container in which the squeezed juice is accumulated can have a volume of 0.2 to 2 liters. The choice of a model with a particular capacity directly depends on the amount of drink that you plan to receive. For the daily preparation of fresh juice for a family, you can get by with devices for 0, 5–0, 7 liters. But for processing the crop, it is better to buy the most capacious option. The pulp reservoir greatly affects the speed of work. There are models in which there is no separate container for cake at all. When using these devices, you need to periodically stop work to manually clean the separator from cake. It is inconvenient, but such devices are cheap. If you need to process your crops or just don't want to struggle with constantly cleaning your juicer, go for models with separate pulp containers. Their volume can reach 3,000 ml.
- Inlet width… This parameter does not affect the price in any way, so it is better to immediately focus on devices with the widest input. If you need a juicer for apples, tomatoes or other large fruits, buy models with an inlet width of about 9 cm or more. You can also process small fruits or berries, but if you take a model with a narrow entrance, you can forget about apple juices.
It is also worth noting a few auxiliary chips that modern juicer models have:
- safety device against accidental starting of the motor when the juicer is disassembled or semi-disassembled (especially useful for families with small children);
- start fuse in case of motor overheating (until it cools down);
- pulse mode of operation - the juicer operates intermittently, preventing overheating of the engine;
- engine cooling system;
- soft start option - the motor starts to work slowly and gradually increases power (this prolongs the life of the device).
You also need to look at the controls. In cheap models, they are presented to a minimum. As a rule, engineers supply juicers with power buttons and speed controls. In high-quality auger models there are buttons that activate the reverse (it is needed to clean a clogged auger). The most modern and expensive devices provide touch control via the LCD display. As a rule, such juicers have a wide functionality that simplifies the work with different types of fruits.
Which juicer is better to choose: popular manufacturers
When buying a juicer, you need to look not only at what it can, but also at who released it. The quality of workmanship directly depends on the manufacturer, and therefore the service life of the device. Your best bet is to target devices from these brands:
- Philips is a famous Dutch manufacturer that equips its juicers with modern electronic filling. Philips models are renowned for their powerful motors and feature that allows you to adjust the consistency of the resulting drink.
- Panasonic - under this Japanese brand, models are entering the market that have a wide range of functions, capacious containers for juice and cake, as well as voluminous inlets for large fruits.
- Redmond - is famous for the so-called social models.The set of functions in them is limited, but such juicers work for a very long time.
- Moulinex - this company is focused on the production of highly productive devices. Juicers are released under this brand, ideal for processing large quantities of fruits. You can also find simpler appliances for daily juicing for a family.
- Bosch is a famous German brand that produces safe multifunctional juicers. True, and the price of such high-tech devices is appropriate.
The best juicers of 2019: TOP-5
We've covered all the key aspects to look out for when purchasing such devices. But if you still find it difficult to decide which juicer to choose, we recommend that you familiarize yourself with our TOP for 2019:
- Redmond RJ-M920 - high-quality screw-type juicer. The model is suitable for a small family of 2-3 people. The device processes both vegetables and fruits. The device is equipped with a reservoir for juice and a separate container for cake (both 0.5 l each). The power is 350 watts. The juicer works quite quickly and quietly. Price in Ukraine - from 2 900 hryvnia.
- PHILIPS Avance Collection HR1918 / 82 - efficient centrifugal juicer. Its power is 1,000 watts. The body of the model is made of aluminum and plastic. The assembly was done with high quality. The device has a 1 liter juice tank and a 2.1 liter cake container. The model allows you to get juice from vegetables and fruits of different density. In addition, the set includes a nozzle for squeezing juice from citrus fruits. Price in Ukraine - 5 300 hryvnia
- Panasonic MJ-L500 - very convenient screw-type juicer. The model has a small power (only 150 W), but thanks to this, it works quite quietly. The body is made of food grade plastic. The auger is made of food grade stainless steel. The model has one main speed for operation. There is also an option for reversing in case of clogging of the auger. The set includes a special attachment for processing frozen foods. The juice is squeezed out into a special jug; there is a container for the cake. The price of the model in Russia is 16,290 rubles. Price in Ukraine - from 5,000 hryvnia.
- PHILIPS Daily Collection HR2738 / 00 - a very cheap model, perfect for citrus juice lovers. The device has a low power of 25 watts. The body is made of polypropylene. The volume of the juice container is 0.5 liters. The device weighs a little more than 0.5 kg. The price of a juicer in Russia is about 1,370 rubles. Price in Ukraine - 600 hryvnia.
- Bosch MES25A0 / 25C0 / 25G0 - centrifugal model. Suitable for large diameter fruits and vegetables. Despite its high performance, it is more of a device for obtaining a small amount of fresh juice per family. There is no separate container for juice (it immediately flows down the groove). In addition, the machine does not handle hard vegetables very well. But for its price, it is quite functional and reliable. The price in Russia is 5 650 rubles. The price in Ukraine is UAH 3,900.
Well, so we figured out how to choose a juicer. We hope that the information provided will be enough for you to make a successful purchase and get a device that will meet all your wishes.