Why is mustard seed oil useful in cosmetology, what valuable substances are included in its composition? Contraindications, restrictions and possible harm. Ways to use mustard oil for face, body and hair, real reviews.
Mustard oil is a natural remedy with unique cosmetic properties and a rich composition of biologically active substances, which is deservedly appreciated among cosmetics manufacturers as one of the most useful. Also, the beautiful half of humanity has an excellent opportunity to use the product at home in order to monitor their appearance without the use of industrial cosmetics containing harmful compounds and expensive cosmetic procedures.
Description and composition of mustard oil
In the photo mustard oil
Mustard oil, known to history for more than a thousand years, is becoming a discovery for many only now. Meanwhile, it has numerous useful properties, for which it has been valued since ancient times. The famous spice was popular in the folk medicine of Ancient Greece and Rome, Eastern China, from which it migrated to India and then spread throughout the world, including Europe.
The industrial production of mustard oil in Russia was established thanks to Empress Catherine II and her gourmand addictions. In 1765, by her decree, a colony-settlement of German settlers Sarepta was founded in the south of Saratov province for the intensive development of the Volga steppes, including the cultivation of mustard. Here, one of the residents, Konrad Neitz, bred a special plant variety with excellent taste, which later received the name "Sarepta mustard", which became the raw material for obtaining mustard oil in 1801.
Mustard oil is produced from plant seeds by several methods - cold pressing, heat treatment, extraction. For buttermaking, varieties with a low content of erucic acid are of interest: its amount should not exceed 5%. Most often it is Sarepta mustard.
The most useful product is unrefined cold-pressed mustard oil, for the production of which the grains are passed through a prepress, but practically not subjected to heat treatment. It is an oily liquid with a light tart aroma and containing numerous biologically active substances in large quantities. Since the color of the seeds can vary from yellow to dark brown, the color of the final product is also different.
However, the cold-pressed technology has one drawback: it is impossible to extract more than 70% of the oil from the seeds. That is why the cake that remains after this stage is passed through a hot press or subjected to extraction using various solvents, filtered and refined, resulting in a purified refined mustard oil that has a pale yellow color, odorless and tasteless. But it also practically does not contain useful substances and is devoid of vitamins, therefore, it is the first version of the product that is used in cosmetology.
The secret of the significant popularity of mustard oil in cosmetology lies in its composition and a set of valuable substances, which include retinol, tocopherol, vitamin D, A, K, group B - the leading natural antioxidants, anti-aging and nutrients. The oil contains a lot of phytosterols, chlorophyll, phytoncides, therefore it does not need to be enriched with preservatives for long-term storage, in its natural form for a long time it is beneficial for humans.
In terms of the composition of monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fatty acids, mustard oil has no equal, except for camelina:
- Linolenic Omega-3 - from 8-13%;
- Linoleic Omega-6 - 14-20%;
- Oleic Omega-9 - 22-30%;
- Eicosanic - 7-14%;
- Erukovaya - 5-53%.
When choosing mustard oil, special attention should be paid to the content of erucic acid. The substance has a detrimental effect on the body, in particular the cardiovascular system, so buy a product with a minimum content of 5%. Sarepta mustard initially contains a little erucic acid, in addition, recently work is underway to develop new varieties of the plant in order to reduce the concentration of the harmful nutrient to 2%.
If you are interested in this remedy, it is quite logical that the question arises of how to make mustard oil at home. However, in fact, this work is painstaking, and very little will be obtained at the output of the product. On the net you can find a recipe that involves the infusion of olive oil on mustard powder, but this will have nothing to do with this product, as it will not contain the active substances of the plant's grains.
The easiest way to buy mustard oil is from large chain grocery stores and various internet sites. When buying, be sure to choose an unrefined product of the first pressing, it is many times more useful than a refined one. Also check the erucic acid content: the allowable rate is 5%. The price of mustard oil starts at 200 rubles.
Useful properties of mustard oil in cosmetology
The natural product is light, it has high penetrating properties, so the benefits of mustard oil for the face are invaluable. It is perfectly absorbed into the deep layers of the skin, actively saturates it with nutrients, while on the surface of the skin there is no greasy film and greasy shine, and the pores are not clogged. Thus, the product is suitable for all skin types.
Due to its strong anti-inflammatory, antibacterial and regenerating properties, mustard oil can be successfully used to care for oily skin, namely to combat acne, pimples, various rashes and acne, eliminate streptoderma and dermatitis. The product provides the skin with a beautiful matte tone, removes oily sheen, normalizes the sebaceous glands and sebum production.
Mustard oil also has a tonic effect, which allows it to be used by owners of tired and aging skin, as it restores turgor and returns strength to it, evens out microrelief and smoothes wrinkles, and protects against premature aging.
Another useful property of mustard oil is to moisturize and soften the skin, therefore it is recommended for dry type of dermis. The beneficial substances contained in it eliminate peeling and irritation, soften the skin. The product is also recommended for the care of the skin of the neck and the delicate area around the eyes.
Note! Mustard oil is non-comedogenic, meaning it does not clog pores.
As a result of the constant use of the natural product, the disturbed metabolic processes occurring in the skin cells are restored. Therefore, the question does not arise, what is the use of mustard oil: it is successfully used to eliminate the "orange peel" and restore elasticity to the body. And due to the slight "irritating" effect and the ability to have a warming effect on the skin, the product is added to the composition of oil mixtures intended for massage and removal of edema.
But the medium of application of mustard oil is not limited to this. It is known to be an excellent protective agent against aggressive UV radiation. Also, the product is used to soften rough skin on the elbows and knees, from cracks on the hands and heels, against fungal infections of the feet. On its basis, baths are prepared, aimed at eliminating delamination and brittle nails.In addition, it is good to use mustard oil in the manufacture of lip balm, as it gently cares for delicate skin and is able to heal small wounds and cracks.
They explain the unique properties of mustard oil and the use of the product for hair care. In terms of its ability to activate hair growth, it is comparable to the famous burdock oil, which everyone has heard. The remedy as a whole heals the curls, restores their vitality, and has a powerful strengthening effect.
Mustard oil is versatile and suitable for all hair types. The tool solves a whole range of problems, ranging from minor hair loss and dandruff to more serious diseases of the scalp, as it has an anti-fungal and antibacterial effect. It is also able to prevent the appearance of premature gray hair, preserves the deep and rich color of the hair.
When using mustard oil for hair, you don't have to worry about the look of your hair. The tool does not make the hair heavier, but at the same time it acquires additional volume, the curls become obedient. And thanks to the presence of fatty acids in the composition of the product, the lipid volume is established in the scalp, the hairs acquire a natural shine.
When using mustard masks, it is important to be careful not to get the product in the eyes or on the mucous membranes. If this happens, rinse the area with plenty of water, if the discomfort persists or even intensifies, you should immediately consult a doctor.
Note! The extract from the seeds of the plant, in contrast to mustard powder, has a milder effect and does not cause a burning sensation.
Contraindications and harm of mustard oil
Before using mustard oil and starting experiments, it is important to exclude contraindications to the use of the product.
First of all, this concerns the individual intolerance of the drug. To do this, you need to conduct a test: apply a drop of oil to the skin of the wrist, the inner fold of the elbow or behind the ear and leave it on for 20 minutes. If after this time there is no negative reaction, no irritation, inflammation, rash, itching, or other unpleasant sensations, you can start using the product.
It should also be remembered that there are direct contraindications to mustard oil. The product is less aggressive than dry spice powder, but it also has a fairly strong effect. Therefore, it should not be used for heart disease, cancer and hypertension. The remedy is also prohibited during pregnancy.
In addition, mustard oil can be harmful when applied to sensitive skin, in which case local irritation is possible. Be sure to postpone its use if there are injuries, wounds, erosion and other damage to the integument on the body.
Note! When using mustard oil in cosmetology, a slight tingling is the norm, but if an unbearable burning sensation occurs, then the procedure should be interrupted immediately, and the place of exposure should be rinsed with plenty of water.
Ways to use mustard oil
Extract from mustard seeds is an undeservedly forgotten remedy in cosmetology, which has recently begun to gain popularity again due to its numerous useful properties and the valuable composition of biologically active substances. The following are the most effective ways to use the product at home.
Mustard oil for face
The easiest way to apply mustard oil for your face is to add a few drops of the product to a store-bought cream. Enrich the product immediately before use, apply for a maximum of half an hour, and then rinse with warm water. Also for this purpose, you can use milk or herbal decoction.The procedure is recommended to be carried out 1 time in 7 days, the course consists of 10 sessions, as a result of which it is possible to prevent the first age-related changes, smooth out fine wrinkles, and even out the skin microrelief.
Effective recipes for masks with mustard oil for the face:
- For problem skin… Saturate wipes with the product, combining it with other cosmetic oils (it is useful to use jojoba, avocado, wheat germ oil), which should be applied to problem areas for 15-20 minutes 2 times a day.
- For combination skin… In this case, the product is used in its pure form, but you can combine it with peach in an equal amount, or another option is to add 2 drops of peppermint, ylang-ylang, neroli oils per 1 tablespoon. main ingredient. Then they act according to the above scheme: they are impregnated with napkins and applied to the face.
- To prevent aging… For an anti-aging mask, add 10 drops of mustard essential oil to 1/4 cup of sesame oil. Spread the liquid over the skin in a circular massage. Next, you need to moisten a towel with hot water, wring it out and lay it on top of your face. After half an hour, remove excess oil with a cotton pad.
- To improve complexion… In this case, you will need two types of vegetable oils - mustard and coconut. Mix the ingredients in a 1 to 1 ratio and spread over the skin. Massage gently until the composition is absorbed into the skin.
- For skin lightening… To prepare the mask, pour in 2 tablespoons. chickpea flour 1/2 tsp mustard oil and add a little rose water for a creamy consistency. Stir well to remove any lumps. The mask is kept on the face for 20-25 minutes.
- From age spots… Make a mustard oil paste by mixing 2 tablespoons of it. with 1 tbsp. chickpea flour, add 2 tbsp. cottage cheese and pour in 1 tsp. freshly made lemon juice. Rub the composition thoroughly to remove lumps and spread over problem areas of the skin. The exposure time of the mask is 15 minutes. Then the product is washed off with cold water.
- For acne… To prepare the mask, mix 1 tbsp. mustard oil with clove and lavender ethers - they need to be dripped literally 2 drops each. Soak napkins in the resulting mixture and apply to the affected areas of the face for 20 minutes.
Mustard body oil
Use mustard oil to make a moisturizer for your daily skincare routine that is useful after a shower or bath. To do this, mix the main ingredient with equal amounts of peach or almond oil. The second moisturizer option is to enrich 1 tbsp. mustard oil 1-2 drops of lavender ether.
For the care of dry, flaky and chapped skin of the hands, it is useful to do baths once a week using warm mustard oil. If there is also a problem of brittle nails, add 3-5 drops of iodine tincture to the product.
To eliminate cellulite, mustard wraps are performed. Mix 6 tablespoons. base ingredient with 4 tbsp. honey previously melted in a water bath, and then drip 3 drops of citrus ether of your choice into the product. Treat the problem areas with the mixture, and then wrap the body with cling film and cover with a blanket. You need to sweat properly for half an hour.
If there are inflamed areas, acne, fungal lesions on the body, mustard seed oil will also come to the rescue, which must be enriched with lavender and clove ether - 1 drop each. The course of using such a remedy is 10 days.
Mustard oil for hair
The easiest way to use mustard oil for hair is to add the product to your favorite shampoo or conditioner. So you can increase the useful properties of the product and heal the hair. If you are worried about premature gray hair, rub mustard oil into the roots, performing massage movements, 20 minutes before washing your hair.But most of the benefits can be obtained with the regular use of masks with this natural product.
Useful mustard oil recipes for hair:
- To strengthen the roots… To prepare the product, mix 1 tbsp. ground red pepper with 1 tbsp. mustard oil and add 4 tbsp. honey, previously melted in a water bath. Rub the mixture into the scalp and leave for half an hour. This mask is recommended to be done daily.
- Hair loss… First, you need to roast 100 ml of mustard oil in a water bath, and then add 50 g of dry nettle rhizomes to the main ingredient. Leave the product in a dark place for 2 weeks, then filter after this time, and can be used for hair care 1-2 times a week. The exposure time of the mask is 30 minutes.
- For hair growth… To grow the desired length, prepare a product based on mustard oil and burdock oil, taken in equal amounts. You need to rub the resulting mixture into the roots 1-2 times a week, wrapping your head with plastic wrap and a towel.
- To restore hair structure… To make an Emergency Refill, mix 1 tbsp. mustard oil with the same amount of olive oil, and then add 3 tbsp. mayonnaise. Apply the mask to your hair and soak for 1 hour, so the greasy product is better absorbed and easier to rinse off.
- For damaged hair… A lightweight version of the mask to restore the structure of the hairs involves a combination of 1 tbsp. mustard oil and the yolk of one chicken egg, after which the mixture must be diluted with warmed kefir. The mass is rubbed into the roots, and then distributed over the entire volume of the hair. The exposure time of the product is 30 minutes.
- For shine hair… This mask will help restore vitality to the hair after relaxing at the sea, swimming pool, the harmful effects of the sun and solarium. To prepare the product, mix 2 tablespoons. mustard oil with the same amount of strong green tea brew without aromatic fragrances. Rub the composition into the roots with massage movements, distribute over the entire length of the hair, carefully process the ends. Then it is recommended to wrap your head with plastic wrap and a terry towel on top. The exposure time of the mask is 1 hour.
- For soft hair… To make the product, mix 50 ml of mustard oil with 15 drops of lavender oil. The mass is applied to the entire head of hair, and then the head is covered with polyethylene and insulated with a towel. The exposure time does not exceed half an hour.
- For hair revitalization… Prepare a mask using as a base 30 g of store-bought conditioner, which is enriched with 15 g of mustard oil and the same amount of alcoholic tincture of red pepper. The mixture is applied to the roots, then the head is insulated. The exposure time of the product is 30 minutes.
Note! Wrapping the head with a terry towel enhances the effect of masks with mustard oil, the process of absorption of the product and, accordingly, accelerates the results.
It is useful to wash off oil masks from hair with an organic shampoo. At home, you can prepare a natural remedy without preservatives and parabens based on rye, chickpea or oat flour, which must be diluted with water and kept for a while. Also, to enhance the beneficial properties of homemade shampoo, you can add yolk to its composition.
Real reviews of mustard oil
Reviews of mustard oil are mostly positive, the product copes with various skin problems, eliminates acne, acne, normalizes the sebaceous glands, nourishes the body with valuable substances, has a positive effect on the appearance and structure of hair, stimulates hair growth and prevents hair loss. However, a noticeable result can be achieved only with the correct use of the product, otherwise there are possible negative reactions, which actually explains the few negative reviews about the tool that come across the network.
Irina, 23 years old
For some reason, mustard oil is less popular in home care than, for example, coconut oil. But, on the advice of my grandmother, I drew attention to him and was satisfied. The first thing I want to note is that it does not cause the formation of comedones, which is very important for enlarged pores.The second - perfectly normalizes the work of the sebaceous glands, the skin becomes dull, the oily sheen leaves. There is no need to use expensive store-bought creams, which, by the way, are completely stuffed with chemistry. But the beneficial effect can only be assessed when the product is used on an ongoing basis.
Oksana, 32 years old
I heard about the benefits of mustard hair masks and their ability to stimulate the growth of new hairs, but this tool did not work for me, as it causes too much burning. Now I have found information that you can try to use mustard oil for this purpose, it has a less aggressive effect, and the results are outstanding. Well, I hope this is true.
Olga, 30 years old
I use mustard oil to combat dry heels and small cracks. I grease the skin liberally, put on a plastic bag, and on top - terry socks. And I go to watch the series for 1, 5 hours. The sensations are the most pleasant, the skin is smooth and soft. But you need to do such applications constantly, otherwise the heels will become dry again.
How to use mustard oil in cosmetology - watch the video: