The reasons for the appearance of edema of the eyelids and how to solve the problem. Folk recipes, pharmacy and cosmetics, home cryotherapy. Ways to prevent puffiness under the eyes.
Swelling of the eyelids is a problem that neither a young age, nor excellent health, nor a correct lifestyle can insure against. Of course, if you are young, watch your diet and get enough sleep, the risk of seeing swollen eyes-slits in the mirror in the morning tends to zero, but does not disappear completely. Let's figure out why the eyelids swell, and what can be done about it.
Why do eyelids swell?
Any edema, including in the area of the eyes, appears due to the accumulation of fluid in the intercellular space. Sometimes the reasons for this are obvious:
- you worked hard at the computer and overexerted your eyes;
- you cried for a long time the day before;
- you have a banal lack of sleep.
In this case, it is not difficult to cope with edema. All you need is to get a good night's sleep, normalize the work and rest schedule, try to calm down the nervous system and, in general, take care of yourself properly.
However, sometimes, in order to find out the true cause of the swollen eyelids, you have to learn to listen to your body more attentively, correctly interpret the signals that it gives, and take response actions.
The appearance of puffiness under the eyes can be triggered by:
- Love for tanning… Protecting delicate skin from ultraviolet radiation, the body begins to accumulate moisture in the most vulnerable areas, forming edema. To avoid this, use Sanskrina and do not forget about such simple things as dark glasses and a wide-brimmed summer hat.
- Lack of collagen… With age, the skin loses its elasticity, and swelling in the morning appears more and more often. It is impossible to stop this process, but you are quite capable of slowing it down as much as possible. Cream with retinol and hyaluric acid, ice with herbal decoctions, massage, gymnastics, salon procedures will come to the rescue - there are many options, but they work best in a complex.
- Improper nutrition… If most often the eyelids are swollen in the morning, this may be due to excess salt and hot spices in the diet, drinking plenty of fluids in the afternoon, and often drinking alcoholic beverages or coffee. All this interferes with the normal elimination of fluid from the body, which is not the best way to affect the appearance. As they say, draw your own conclusions.
- Frequent stress… Nerve shocks flood our blood with cortisol, which contributes not only to increased fat deposition on the abdomen and upper back, but also to swelling. Be less nervous and relax more often.
- Hormonal surges… Even ordinary menstruation can affect a woman's appearance, not to mention a more serious restructuring of the body during, say, pregnancy. In this case, you will either have to wait out the difficult stage, or seek help from cosmetologists and doctors to find the right eyelid remedy.
- Heredity… If your skin is too thin and sensitive from birth, swelling may become normal. You will have to flee from them constantly, carefully caring for the problem area.
- Health status… Often, the cause of eyelid edema lies in a disease that does not yet reveal itself with more serious symptoms. Malfunctions of the cardiovascular and nervous system, kidneys, thyroid gland, blepharitis, conjunctivitis, an allergic reaction and even a banal injury or microscopic scratch are equally capable of causing fluid accumulation in the eye area. If bags under your eyes have been a part of your life for a long time, see your doctor.
Sometimes we mistake fatty hernias for edema, against which sleep and a healthy lifestyle are powerless.They can be removed only with the help of a specialist, and in some cases the most effective, although not the only method, is surgical excision. So, if the unpleasant bags under the eyes do not lend themselves to any home remedies, it makes sense to contact the surgeon and find out if the eyelids are really swollen and what to do if you are faced with the accumulation of adipose tissue.
How to remove swelling from the eyelids?
Only a specialist can cope with edema caused by any disease, we will not talk about them here. But with those that appear due to lack of sleep, fatigue, stress and other reasons not associated with pathology, there is every chance to cope at home.
Home cryotherapy for eyelid edema
Nothing helps to remove swelling of the eyelids as effectively and quickly as cold, or even better - the alternation of low and moderately high temperatures. Capillaries under their influence narrow and expand, blood and lymph accelerate their run, tissues get rid of excess fluid more actively, and the skin becomes more elastic and fresh.
How to get rid of eyelid edema with cryotherapy:
- For 2-3 minutes, gently massage the problem area, and then the entire face with ice cubes. It's good if you are not too lazy to cook it from decoctions of chamomile, sage, birch buds, or add parsley or cucumber juice to the water before freezing. Remember that you should not allow prolonged contact of the skin with ice - the cubes must be in motion all the time.
- Wipe the area under the eyes with two cucumber circles, after placing them in the freezer for a couple of minutes.
- Fill a clean bowl with cold water, take a deep breath, and dip your face into it. Hold for a few seconds. Repeat the procedure 2-3 times.
- Dip 4 tablespoons into a glass of ice water. Take 2 of them and apply to the puffy eyelids, and when you feel that the metal has heated up from body heat, repeat the same steps with the remaining pair of spoons.
- Wash your face alternately with cool and warm water.
Note! Do not abuse the cold so as not to get inflammation of the facial nerve.
Folk remedies for edema of the eyelids
Our mothers, grandmothers and great-grandmothers had their own ways of putting in order their swollen eyelids, which worked great. Do not neglect them today.
How to remove swelling from the eyelids with folk remedies:
- Parsley… Chop 2-3 sprigs of fresh parsley to make 1 tsp. green gruel, mix with 2 tsp. cold sour cream and add a few drops of your favorite fatty oil. Lubricate the skin around the eyes with the mixture, leave for 20 minutes, rinse with warm water and treat the eyelids with cream. In addition to swelling, parsley helps to deal with fine wrinkles, age spots and general skin laxity. Fresh parsley juice, if you can get it in the right amount, can be applied to the eyelids in its pure form, and after a while, rinse it off with cool water. The same should be done with the leaves of fresh lemon balm.
- Potato… Finely grated potatoes quickly relieve swelling and swelling, strengthen the thin skin of the eyelids, and rejuvenate. Apply it on cotton pads, cover the eyelids with the resulting masks and hold for about 15 minutes, then rinse with lukewarm water and use the cream. And this vegetable also works great in a company with a fresh cucumber in a 1: 1 ratio.
- Carrot… Able to efficiently erase swelling from the face, especially in cases where the eyelids are swollen in the morning. To make a mask from carrots, you will need the same thing as in the previous paragraph: a fine grater, cotton pads so that the orange gruel juice does not spread all over your face, and 15 minutes of free time. However, be careful, if you have very light skin, it may take on a yellowish tinge.
- Lemon… Pieces of gauze or cotton wool soaked in freshly squeezed lemon juice are placed under the eyes so that it cannot flow onto the mucous membrane, and left for 10-12 minutes. If your skin is sensitive, mix lemon juice in half with cucumber juice.
- Milk… Option for rushing: soak cotton compresses in chilled milk, hold for 15 minutes for eyelids and wash with clean water.
- Tea… Use black, green, or herbal tea bags (linden, lemon balm, mint, chamomile, sage). The tannin contained in them, tannin, strengthens and tightens the skin, while healing substances nourish, moisturize and rejuvenate. Brew a bag with boiling water, cool or even chill in the refrigerator and hold it in front of your eyes for 5-15 minutes. You can use the bags left over from your morning tea.
- Coffee… Caffeine is harmful when taken internally, but healing when its action is directed to our body from the outside. If you can’t give up the habit of drinking a cup of coffee in the morning, take this opportunity: soak cotton pads in the rest of the coffee and place them on your eyelids. Action time - up to 20 minutes. If you have time, you can make a more difficult mixture by combining 1 tbsp. l. coffee grounds with 1 tsp. honey and half a spoonful of flaxseed or olive oil. The mask is kept on the face for about a quarter of an hour.
- Linen… You can take care of how to remove the puffiness of the eyelids in the morning already in the evening by brewing 1 tbsp. l. flax seeds with half a glass of boiling water and leave to infuse overnight. After waking up in a viscous broth, moisten pieces of gauze or cotton wool and apply on the eye area, and after 10 minutes wash with plain water.
Note! Herbs, fruits and vegetables are common causes of allergies. If you intend to use a recipe with any new ingredient in the composition, be sure to first test the prepared mask on the wrist or inner bend of the elbow.
Cosmetic products for eyelid edema
In the photo, the concentrate Ultimune Power Infusing Eye Concentrate from Shiseido at a price of 2500-4200 rubles.
Who knows exactly what to do with eyelid edema is the specialists employed in beauty laboratories of cosmetic companies. They regularly supply the beauty market with a variety of new products to care for this capricious area, and we just have to choose the best samples.
Effective cosmetic decongestants:
- Alginate eye contour mask with damask rose from Sefite (USA)… Contains moisture-saving maltodextrin, creating a thermal effect of calcium sulfate, brightening tetrasodium pyrophosphate, cleansing and restoring the skin diatomite, and ascorbic acid salt. The mask smells of roses perceptibly, is easy to apply and easy to remove, suitable for all skin types. It costs about 180 rubles. One sachet is enough for 3-4 uses.
- Mask for the eye area Parsley-Cucumber from Greenmade (Russia)… Declared by the manufacturer as exclusively natural, the product based on white clay includes a whole set of fatty oils - avocado, wheat germ, cocoa, pine nut, sesame, almond, camelina, as well as herbal decoctions, algae extracts and vegetable puree, reinforced with colloidal silver … The mask whitens, moisturizes, promotes skin regeneration, fights dark circles and puffiness. It costs about 350 rubles for 70 g.
- Biogel Lumiere Eye Bio Gel + HA from Christina (Israel)… The gel saturates the tissues with moisture thanks to squalane and hyaluronic acid, but at the same time helps to eliminate its excess. In addition, it inhibits the aging process with vitamins A, E, C and hazelnut extract, and, thanks to chamomile extract, relieves inflammation and soothes. It costs 1200-1500 rubles for a 30 ml tube.
- Donkey Milky Patches by Elizavecca (South Korea)… Miniature biocellulose compresses are impregnated with a mixture, the main active ingredients of which are donkey milk proteins, hyaluronic acid, vitamin B3, glycerin and castor oil. Patches nourish, whiten, moisturize, rejuvenate, restore skin elasticity and even color, erase swelling and fine wrinkles. Suitable for all skin types. They cost from 1200 to 2200 rubles for a set of 30 pairs.
- Concentrate for the skin around the eyes Ultimune Power Infusing Eye Concentrate from Shiseido (Japan)… To remove puffy eyelids, as if erasing them with an eraser, and get smooth, toned and refreshed in return, the Japanese suggest relying on the miraculous power of the Smoothing Defense complex, the formula of which enhances the skin's natural protection and promotes its rejuvenation, as well as on the ImuCalm aramocomplex, whose subtle notes of lotus and roses help relaxation and relaxation. The concentrate moisturizes, restores, evens out, removes circles under the eyes and puffiness. True, for a miniature vial with a volume of 5 ml you will have to pay more than 2500 rubles, for 15 ml - more than 4200, but the product is spent sparingly.
Of course, all of the above is just a small part of a variety of creams, gels and masks to combat eyelid edema, and no one will tell you in advance which one will work best in your case. Feel free to experiment in search of "your" means, and one day you will find exactly what you need.
It's good if the ingredients of the selected cream or serum include:
- collagen and elastin;
- hyaluronic acid;
- C-glycoside proxylan;
- vitamins C and E;
- aloe vera;
- caring oils;
- plant extracts, especially blueberries.
Note! Be sure to get a good sunscreen with an SPF of 30. If everything is in order with your health, sleep and nutrition, there is a great chance that after such an acquisition you will no longer have to wonder how to remove swelling from your eyelids - they will simply stop bothering you.
Pharmacy remedies for edema of the eyelids
In the photo, Solcoseryl ointment from eyelid edema at a price of 600 rubles for 20 g.
Pharmaceuticals, even if they are commercially available, must be selected with care. Often they are designed to solve a very narrow range of problems, for example, they only relieve edema caused by trauma or inflammation. And only a very few stretch ointments can be called universal.
What to look for in a pharmacy:
- Blepharogel… Relieves itching, heaviness of eyelids, fatigue, normalizes water balance, resists blepharitis, moisturizes tissues with hyaluric acid and glycerin, soothes and softens the skin with aloe vera, has a beneficial effect on its condition thanks to sulfur. Costs from 200 rubles for 15 ml.
- Solcoseryl… Stimulates cellular metabolism, and with it tissue renewal. Improves blood circulation, transport of oxygen and healing substances, utilization of cellular waste. When used on the face, it reduces swelling and improves the quality of the skin. It costs from 600 rubles for 20 g.
- Afulim cream… Has a wide range of applications from bags under the eyes to spider veins on the legs. Contains a rich collection of essential and fatty oils, beeswax. Strengthens blood vessels, tidies up cellular metabolism, increases tone. It costs from 1800 rubles for 169 g.
Many propose to fight edema with the help of Indovazin, Tetracycline, Troxevasin, Heparin and Zinc ointment, Relief, Proctonis and other drugs intended for other purposes. In some cases, they can work, but it is better not to experiment on your skin, but to consult a doctor and find out why the eyelids are swollen and what to do about it.
General recommendations against eyelid edema
Unpretentious, but extremely important for health and beauty actions help to keep the eyelids "in shape". Make them into your habits, and it will definitely benefit your eyes.
Effective methods of edema prevention:
- A deep 8-hour sleep in a well-ventilated room;
- A high pillow that prevents fluid stagnation, but moderately high so that folds do not form on the neck;
- Avoiding alcohol;
- Control of the amount of salt and hot spices in the menu;
- Thoughtful drinking regimen;
- Regular light massage of the upper part of the face, consisting in gentle tapping of the problem area with the fingertips;
- Drinking diuretic herbal teas.
How to get rid of eyelid edema - watch the video:
You can cope with the problem of the appearance of eyelid edema if you approach the task seriously, and not limit yourself to temporary measures from case to case. If your efforts do not give results within 1-2 months, contact a specialist and, together with him, develop a program to put your face in order. It will not be difficult to find a solution together with an experienced beautician or doctor.