Basic principles and rules of a low-carb diet. List of permitted and prohibited products, menus for every day, recipes. Real reviews of those who are losing weight.
A low carbohydrate diet is a diet based on reducing the amount of carbohydrate foods in the diet. This is a balanced and rational diet, the main product of which is meat - a source of animal protein. Among nutritionists, a low-carb diet is considered one of the best for effective weight loss.
Features and rules of a low-carb diet
Among those who lose weight, there has long been a myth that excess weight appears due to fat. However, this is not quite true. Fats do have a fairly high calorie content, but they will never surpass carbohydrates - that's who the real winner is. It is hundreds of calories of carbohydrate food that are converted in our body into fat deposits.
This is why the low-carb diet for weight loss was developed. Useful vegetable and animal fats and proteins become the predominant nutrients on it. They have an important feature - they form ketones, substances that can keep you feeling full for a long time.
While a person usually consumes about 100 g of carbohydrates per day, on a low-carb diet this amount is reduced to about 40. After a month of such a diet, you can get rid of the fat surrounding the internal organs. It is the most difficult to remove.
The optimal nutrient ratio on a low-carb diet looks like this:
- Protein - 30%;
- Fat - 40%;
- Carbohydrates - 30%
For a low-carb diet to be effective, you need to follow these guidelines:
- Take vitamins… If you feel weak on the diet, then you need to purchase a vitamin and mineral complex in order to provide the body with all the necessary substances.
- Normalize water-salt balance… Keep track of the amount of water you drink and the amount of salt in the food you cook. Lack of water and too much salt causes ugly swelling, which can look like fat deposits even on a thin body. If you like salty food, you can add a few drops of lemon instead of salt. As for water, make sure to drink at least 1.5-2 liters of clean water per day. It is water, not tea or other drinks.
- Cook right… On diets, it is forbidden to eat food fried in oil. Instead, it's best to bake or grill them. You can fry food in a non-stick skillet with just a little oil on it, or better not at all. The oil is very high in calories.
- Have a snack… There is nothing good about being too hungry. It will only bring severe discomfort, especially on a long-term diet. Between meals, you can eat a piece of fruit, some low-fat cottage cheese, or a handful of nuts.
- Do not eat at night… And this has nothing to do with fat deposits. It's just that the body will receive a portion of energy, and it will be more difficult to fall asleep. And proper sleep is a very important factor in losing weight.
- Don't neglect physical activity… Great if you play sports. If not, it doesn't hurt to add some movement to your life. You can take an extra stop, walk more and do gymnastics. This will not only contribute to weight loss, but also improve the well-being and quality of the skin.
Interesting to know! For a month on a low-carb diet, you can easily get rid of 10-22 kg of excess weight. The exact amount depends on the intensity of the diet and the individual characteristics of the person losing weight.
Due to the reduced amount of starch and sugar, the body begins to take energy from the already stored fat. By the way, this low-carb diet is good for diabetes: it excludes sharp jumps in blood sugar. But for other diseases, it is better not to carry out it at all.
A low-carb diet will not work for:
- people with kidney and liver problems;
- patients who are recovering from long-term illnesses;
- people with high cholesterol;
- pregnant and lactating women.
Read also about the blood type diet.
Allowed and prohibited foods on a low-carb diet
Before you start using a low-carb diet, you should carefully study the list of foods that can and cannot be consumed on it. Let's consider it in more detail.
List of Allowed Foods on a Low Carb Diet:
- Lean meats… The product will be the main source of animal protein. You need to select meat with a low amount of fat. We have already found out that he is also quite high in calories.
- Lean fish… It is completely carbohydrate-free, making it great for a low-carb diet. As with meat, fish should be selected with a small amount of fat.
- Eggs… Another source of protein. You can eat chicken eggs or quail, the main thing is not to overdo it with the yolk. If enough fatty dishes have already been eaten during the day, then it is better not to eat eggs. But you can make a protein omelet with one yolk.
- Low-fat dairy products… Another source of protein. As with fish and meat, preference should be given to low-fat dairy products.
- Non-starchy vegetables and fruits… Starch is a carbohydrate that should be avoided on this diet. Preference is given to fruits with a non-starchy structure - citrus fruits, apples, etc.
- Nuts… A source of essential vegetable fats. You can add them to meals or use them as a snack.
- Some cereals… They will be the amount of carbohydrates you need to eat. You can cook porridge from buckwheat, oatmeal and brown rice. In moderation.
List of prohibited foods on a low-carb diet:
- Sugar… Winner for high carbohydrate content that absolutely does not saturate in any way. We'll have to give up absolutely any sweets. Even very sweet fruits. In this case, you can prepare meals using a sweetener.
- Flour… All baked goods and pasta are prohibited on a low-carb diet. These are fast carbohydrates that give sharp spikes in blood sugar and are quickly stored in fat. They will ruin the figure, but will not benefit the body and will not saturate.
- Starchy vegetables… You will have to give up or limit your diet to potatoes, corn, legumes and some other vegetables. Too many carbs.
- Starchy fruits… You will have to give up your favorite bananas and grapes. Of course, sometimes you can eat them, but then you will have to carefully monitor the amount of other carbohydrates in the daily diet.
- Alcohol… Any alcohol is an energy drink. And any energy is calories. In addition, alcohol awakens an exorbitant appetite, so after drinking, you can easily break into unhealthy and high-calorie foods.
- Mayonnaise and sauces… Mayonnaise and various sauces on a low-carb diet are prohibited. If you want to season a dish, then it is better to cook homemade sauces. For example, you can use yogurt with mustard and garlic as a substitute for mayonnaise, and make tomato sauce instead of ketchup.
- Butter… A very useful, but very high-calorie product. If you decide to add it to the dish, you will have to carefully calculate the calories and fats.
- Fast food… Naturally, no eateries with juicy burgers and shawarma. Fast food is designed to instantly satisfy hunger and is not famous for its benefits, and also spoils the figure with excess fat deposits.
- High-calorie drinks… On a diet, you will have to give up many drinks: juices, soda, cocktails, and more.Occasionally, you can drink soda with aspartame. It is better to cook cocktails on your own so that they come out low in calories, and you can add sweeteners to coffee and tea.
Good to know! Since a low-carb diet is high in protein, muscles will remain firm and firm.
Low Carb Diet Menu
In a low-carb diet for women, it is important to consider the protein and carbohydrate rate that is right for you. To calculate the daily rate of BJU (proteins, fats, carbohydrates), you can use these formulas:
- 1 g of protein * weight in kg;
- 1 g fat * per weight in kg;
- 1 g of carbohydrates * per weight in kg.
Given the figures obtained, you can make up a diet within the desired daily calorie content. If you are unsure of the best foods to choose from, we suggest you familiarize yourself with several low-carb diet menu options for every day.
7 Day Low Carb Diet Menu
A weekly low-carb diet is ideal for beginners. During this time, you can get used to healthy eating and it is easy to keep track of mistakes.
An example of a 7-day low-carb diet menu:
|First||Omelet with boiled chicken and tomatoes, a portion of coffee with sweetener and an apple||Light vegetable salad||Any lean boiled meat, cucumber-tomato salad||Grilled fish with lemon and spices|
|Second||Cottage cheese 0% fat, apple, a portion of tea with sweetener||Light vegetable salad||Greek Chicken Salad Dressed with Lemon Juice||Vegetable soup with a little low-fat cheese|
|Third||2 boiled eggs, a serving of tea with sweetener||Celery and seafood salad||Vegetable soup and lean pork cutlet||Turkey meat, broccoli and 2 slices of low-fat cheese|
|Fourth||Baked zucchini with cottage cheese, any citrus||A handful of any nuts||Boiled chicken, cucumber, a portion of coffee with sweetener||Baked mackerel and apple|
|Fifth||Poached egg||Some pumpkin seeds||Boiled chicken breast, vegetable salad with low-fat cheese||Vegetable and squid salad|
|Sixth||Sweet pepper omelet, portion of coffee with sweetener||Non-starchy fruit salad||Chicken Vegetable Soup||Any grilled mushrooms and apple|
|Seventh||A cup of cottage cheese 0% fat with herbs, citrus to taste, a portion of tea with sweetener||A handful of any nuts||Vegetable stew, 2 slices of low-fat cheese||Baked fish and cucumber-tomato salad|
This low-carb diet menu for a week can be used no more than once a month. Carbohydrates are also essential for the body, and after an extreme low-carb regimen, it needs time to recover.
2 Week Low Carb Diet Menu
The diet may consist of a menu for a week with a repetition. For the second week, you can use the same option or take the previous one.
Example of a 2 week low carb diet menu:
|First||Boiled chicken omelet||Vegetable salad and some nuts||Boiled chicken breast garnished with green peas||Boiled egg||Steamed fish and a slice of low-fat cheese|
|Second||A glass of low-fat yogurt or kefir, a handful of any nuts||Any fruit||Light soup with chicken and vegetables||Cucumber-tomato salad||Seafood salad with boiled egg whites|
|Third||Serving of oatmeal with nuts||A little pomelo||Buckwheat with boiled chicken breast||A glass of low fat yogurt or kefir and an apple||Steamed fish|
|Fourth||Boiled chicken omelet||A glass of low fat yogurt or kefir and an apple||Vegetable stew with fish||Portion of cottage cheese 0% fat with herbs or fruits||Boiled chicken meat|
|Fifth||Serving of oatmeal with nuts or fruit||Any fruit||Lean lamb and vegetables||2 boiled eggs and vegetable salad||Baked beef and vegetable salad|
|Sixth||Buckwheat with skim milk||2 apples or any citrus||Beef stew with vegetables||Boiled egg and vegetable salad||Portion of cottage cheese 0% fat with herbs or fruits|
|Seventh||Serving of oatmeal with nuts or fruit||A glass of low fat yogurt or kefir and an apple||Boiled chicken and vegetable salad||A portion of cottage cheese 0% fat and any citrus||Salad with seafood and vegetables|
Low-carb diet menu for a month
For those who are already accustomed to a new diet, a low-carb diet for a month is suitable. Its correct use will help you quickly lose weight.
An example of a 30-day low-carb diet menu:
|Day 1||A portion of cottage cheese 0% fat and any citrus and tea with sweetener||Vegetable soup and boiled beef||Baked salmon with vegetables and a glass of freshly squeezed orange juice|
|Day 2||Low-fat cheese omelet and sweetener tea||Salad with seafood and vegetables, boiled chicken meat||Vegetable salad and apple|
|Day 3||2 boiled eggs and a glass of low fat kefir / yogurt||Mushroom soup and vegetable salad||Stewed fish with vegetables|
|Day 4||Low-fat cottage cheese casserole and tea with sweetener||Vegetable stew with beef and seaweed salad||Greek salad and boiled chicken breast|
|Day 5||A portion of cottage cheese 0% fat and any citrus and tea with sweetener||Vegetable salad and steamed lean fish||Boiled chicken with broccoli|
|Day 6||A serving of oatmeal with nuts or fruit and coffee with sweetener||Vegetable salad and steamed turkey cutlets||Baked beef, vegetable salad and a glass of freshly squeezed orange juice|
|Day 7||Cheesecakes made from low-fat cottage cheese and coffee with sweetener||Boiled chicken with buckwheat, vegetable salad||Egg and seafood salad, apple|
|Day 8||Low-fat cottage cheese casserole and tea with sweetener||Brown rice, vegetable salad||Lean steamed fish, vegetable salad|
|Day 9||Chicken omelet and sweetener tea||Mushroom soup and some boiled chicken||Boiled beef and vegetable salad|
|Day 10||Vegetable stew with low-fat cheese||Soup with chicken and vegetables||Lean stewed cabbage|
|Day 11||A serving of oatmeal with nuts or fruit and coffee with sweetener||Buckwheat porridge with chicken and vegetable salad||Meat stew and vegetable salad|
|Day 12||Low-fat cheese omelet and sweetener tea||Brown rice, seafood and vegetable salad||Baked beef steak, vegetable salad, a glass of freshly squeezed orange juice|
|Day 13||Cheesecakes made from low-fat cottage cheese and coffee with sweetener||Baked turkey, vegetable salad||Stewed vegetables and boiled lean fish|
|Day 14||Buckwheat porridge with milk||Baked lean fish, vegetable salad||Vegetable salad with boiled chicken, 2 slices of low-fat cheese|
The table below provides a 2 week low carb diet menu that will need to be repeated or mixed to your liking. In between meals, you need to have snacks. Apples, citrus fruits, nuts, kefir or yogurt are perfect for them.
Good to know! You can drink a glass of water just before a meal to help you eat less.
Diversifying your diet is not an easy task, and failure to do so can lead to boredom, stress, and then breakdown. In order not to waste your efforts, it is important to experiment with food, find interesting dishes.
Here are some recipes for a low-carb diet that will help you brighten up your meals.
- Omelette… A dish familiar to everyone can be made much tastier and healthier. To do this, you need to take 4 eggs, 50 g of low-fat cheese, 100 g of broccoli. Cook broccoli, chop finely. Whisk the whites with a little salt. Add two yolks and beat again. Add broccoli to the mixture and pour into a hot skillet (use minimum oil). Sprinkle with grated cheese at the end of cooking.
- Meatballs… Instead of your regular vegetable soup, try meatball soup for a much better lunch. For cooking, you need 100 g of minced chicken, 50 g of low-fat cheese, onions.Mix the minced meat with the cheese, add salt and pepper to taste, and roll the meatballs. They can be fried without oil and served separately with vegetables, with salads, or cooked with soup.
- Zucchini with vegetable filling… This interesting salad will not get bored with eternal tomatoes and cucumbers. For cooking, you will need 2 medium-sized zucchini, lettuce, green onions, half a glass of walnuts, garlic. Prepare the filling: finely chop the salad and onion, chop the garlic, mix the ingredients with a little olive oil. Cut the courgettes in half, remove the seeds and bake in the oven. Grind the walnuts in a blender and fry in a dry frying pan. Sprinkle the zucchini with the nuts and lay in the vegetable filling. You can eat them stuffed as a main course or serve as a snack.
These low carb recipes can be used on any day's menu. They will definitely save you from an unwanted breakdown.
Important! If you notice that the state of health on the diet has worsened, then you need to find out what vitamins or nutrients are lacking in the diet. Don't forget about your health.
Mistakes of losing weight on a low-carb diet
Common mistakes on a low-carb diet cannot be ignored. By doing them, losing weight turns weight loss into torture and breaks down, and can also harm health.
Let's consider the typical mistakes:
- Complete rejection of carbohydrates… Carbohydrates do exist for a reason, they are really important for the body, so long-term rejection of them provokes problems and, in principle, limits the variety of the diet.
- Excess protein… Trying to replace carbohydrate foods with something else, we provoke unwanted problems. The increased amount of protein puts unnecessary strain on the liver and kidneys, which can lead to problems.
- Ignoring calories… Without counting calories, it is difficult to determine how much we actually ate, so at least for the first time it is better to do it.
- Monotony… Don't forget to add color to your diet, even if it's some kind of evil carbohydrate. The more boring the diet, the more likely it is to break down.
Real Low Carb Diet Reviews
The results of a low-carb diet are reported by many who are losing weight, and they are always indicative. Only the right approach is important, and then the efforts will not be in vain. We suggest that you familiarize yourself with real reviews and results of those who lost weight on a low-carb diet.
Vera, 33 years old
I want to share my experience of losing weight on this diet. In general, I love all kinds of sweets, but it is in them that evil lies, and they are deposited by this ugly fat. Therefore, a low-carb diet worked very well for me, even though it was difficult at first. I gradually reduced carbohydrates in the diet, replaced sugar with sweeteners. My result is 10 kilograms in 3 weeks. I think this is far from the top.
Christina, 26 years old
This is the only diet on which I did not feel hungry. Probably because there are many other types of foods in the diet - protein, with fats. If before I constantly wanted to eat something, now it is somehow calmer. I was able to lose 6 kilograms in a week, that's enough for me.
Albina, 41 years old
I heard a lot of reviews about a low-carb diet, I decided to give it a try. I've only been doing it for a week now, it's hard … Probably, while I'm doing something wrong, but the result is - 5 kg per week. I'll take a break for now, but the diet is definitely worth considering. The result is just superb.
What is a low-carb diet - watch the video:
A low-carb diet is a balanced diet that allows you to lose weight quickly and without harm to your health. With the right approach, it can be carried out quite often, practically without limiting yourself.