Composition, calorie content, features of making jam from viburnum. How is the product useful and to whom can it be harmful?
Viburnum jam is a tasty and healthy dessert made by boiling berries in sweet syrup. The classic recipe for cooking is as follows: the viburnum is covered with sugar in equal proportions, left overnight, during this time the berries are given juice, the next day the resulting mass is put on fire and boiled until thick. In addition to the classic, there are many other ways to make jam from viburnum - five minutes, jelly, honey, with the addition of spices, other berries and fruits. However, whatever the recipe, the dessert remains extremely useful and even healing. Be sure to stock up on viburnum jam for the winter if you want your tea drinking to be not only tasty, but also to strengthen your health.
Features of making jam from viburnum
Despite the numerous useful properties, viburnum jam is not prepared in our homes so often, but all because the berry has a pronounced bitterness in its taste. This circumstance confuses housewives, but only inexperienced ones, because the bitterness in taste is easily removed if the berry is first frozen. Of course, a slight bitterness will remain, but taking into account the fact that the jam is prepared in a large amount of sugar, it will not interfere, but, on the contrary, make the taste more interesting and multifaceted.
If you are thinking about the best way to cook viburnum jam, then it is worth noting that a very beautiful jam is obtained from this berry. To prepare it, the berry is first simmered until soft on the fire, and then ground through a sieve and boiled with sugar or honey. The result is a beautiful ruby-colored thick syrup, if you add gelatin to it, the syrup turns into jelly.
In the same case, if you are worried about how to make the healthiest viburnum jam, use the "live" recipe - put the berries in a blender with sugar and beat them together. Divide the finished puree into containers and freeze. Such a dessert will retain more valuable ingredients. If you want the jam to become even healthier, replace sugar with honey in this recipe, add spices, lemon, etc.
Composition and calorie content of viburnum jam
In the photo, viburnum jam
In many ways, the energy value of a healthy treat is determined by how much sugar is added during the cooking process: the more sugar is added, the higher it is. Here are the values for the classic 1: 1 ratio.
The calorie content of viburnum jam is 212 kcal per 100 g, of which
- Proteins - 0 g;
- Fat - 0 g;
- Carbohydrates - 53 kcal.
As you can see, in general, even in a 1: 1 ratio, the calorie content is low, and jam can easily be added to any diet, even a dietary one. However, one should not forget that 50% of such a product still consists of sugar, and therefore, one way or another, its amount in the diet is important to sensibly limit.
The composition of the berries makes the viburnum jam valuable for health: it is especially rich in vitamins C and K, it also contains a large amount of vitamin A, beta-carotene, calcium, magnesium, iron, iodine, manganese. Let's consider the vitamin and mineral composition in more detail.
Vitamins per 100 g
- Vitamin A, RE - 151 mcg;
- Beta carotene - 0.9 mg;
- Vitamin B1, thiamine - 0.012 mg
- Vitamin B2, riboflavin - 0.022 mg;
- Vitamin B5, pantothenic acid - 0.31 mg;
- Vitamin B6, pyridoxine - 0.013 mg;
- Vitamin B9, folate - 30 mcg;
- Vitamin C, ascorbic acid - 150 mg;
- Vitamin E, alpha-tocopherol - 2 mg;
- Vitamin K, phylloquinone - 117.5 mcg;
- Vitamin PP, NE - 0.9 mg.
Macronutrients per 100 g
- Potassium - 109 mg;
- Calcium - 171 mg;
- Silicon - 50 mg;
- Magnesium - 57 mg;
- Sodium - 60 mg;
- Sulfur - 12 mg;
- Phosphorus - 98.5 mg;
- Chlorine - 21 mg.
Microelements per 100 g
- Aluminum - 28 mcg;
- Boron - 320 mcg;
- Vanadium - 7, 5mkg;
- Iron - 5, 95 mg;
- Iodine - 89.7 mcg;
- Cobalt - 28.5 mcg;
- Lithium - 3 mcg;
- Manganese - 0.52 mg;
- Copper - 62 mcg;
- Molybdenum - 248 mcg;
- Nickel - 16.5 mcg;
- Rubidium - 3.4 mcg;
- Selenium - 10.5 mcg;
- Strontium - 0.06 mcg;
- Fluorine - 0.03 mcg;
- Chromium - 60 mcg;
- Zinc - 0.5 mg.
In addition to vitamins and minerals, viburnum is also rich in dietary fiber, organic acids, natural antioxidant and antibacterial components - essential oils, tannins, phytosterols, flavonoids, etc.
Useful properties of viburnum jam
Of course, it is important to understand that there are more useful components in a fresh berry than in jam, and many of them are lost during cooking and storage, but a significant part of the valuable substances still remains in the finished “dish”.
Why is viburnum jam useful:
- Strengthening immunity… This is a unique product for our immunity, it contains almost double the daily dose of vitamin C, and this alone helps to stimulate the body's defenses. If you make jam with honey, you will get not so much a dessert as a delicious medicine, a couple of spoons of which you must definitely eat after a long winter walk or after falling under an autumn downpour. Viburnum jam not only prevents colds, but is also able to actively treat it - it has diaphoretic, antipyretic, expectorant properties.
- Normalization of the digestive system… Viburnum jam is of great benefit to the intestines, it contains mild dietary fibers in the form of pectin, which effectively, but not aggressively, stimulate peristalsis, which leads to normalization of the stool, elimination of flatulence, bloating, and helps to remove toxins and toxins. They also note the help of jam in getting rid of heartburn.
- Antioxidant effect… Also, viburnum jam is able to have an antioxidant effect due to the presence of special plant components, as well as antioxidant vitamins A and C in large quantities. Antioxidants control the level of free radicals, the excess of which contributes to early aging, the development of tumor diseases.
- Anti-inflammatory effect… It is important to note that the effect of viburnum jam on immunity is not limited to saving you from colds, its unique natural components have antibacterial and antiviral effects, which makes the dessert an assistant in the treatment of various diseases.
- Prevention of iron deficiency anemia… Kalina contains a large amount of iron, which, with regular use of berries in any form, prevents the development of anemia - a disease that is very often recorded in women today. It is noteworthy that the berry also contains a large amount of vitamin C - an important cofactor for the absorption of iron, which means that the mineral from the viburnum will be absorbed very efficiently.
- Prevention of thyroid diseases… Also viburnum is one of the few berries that contains a lot of iodine. A deficiency of this element is now recorded at least as often as iron, which leads to the development of thyroid diseases. Regularly eating jam from viburnum, you can protect yourself from them.
- Normalization of hormonal levels… The berry contains special substances that are similar in structure to female sex hormones - phytohormones. They have a particularly important effect during the climatic period, as part of hormone replacement therapy. Also phytohormones can have a beneficial effect on menstrual irregularities.
- Increasing tone and potency… You might get the impression that viburnum is a more “female” berry, perhaps this is true, but it is also useful for men. Viburnum jam tones up well, restores strength, which is important for the stronger sex, whose work is often associated with physical labor. In addition, there is information about the positive effect of viburnum on potency.
The useful properties of red viburnum jam are very extensive, and we, it should be noted, have cited only the main ones, in folk medicine you can find recipes on how to treat almost any disease with the help of this dessert.