Features of rowan jam, composition, calorie content. How is dessert useful, to whom can it be harmful?
Rowan jam is a dessert that consists of berries cooked in sweet syrup. Such jam is not a frequent guest on our tables: housewives are afraid to cook it, since the berries are very hard, have a tart taste, and the red mountain ash also has pronounced bitter notes. However, with proper preparation, these fears are in vain: when boiled in sugar, rowan softens, and the taste becomes completely different - sweet, with light sour notes - if chokeberry jam, if the dessert is made of red, there is also a pleasant piquant bitterness in the taste … Eating rowan jam, even just in a bite with tea, is already very tasty, but you can still add it to various dishes - pies, cookies, cakes, etc. However, it is important to know that rowan jam is not only a dessert, but also a healthy product, which saves from vitamin deficiency in winter and has a beneficial effect on health in general, of course, with moderate use.
Features of rowan jam
The features of the preparation of the dessert depend on which berry is taken as a basis. Although the cooking method may be the same, the process for preparing the fruit for heat treatment will be different. So, if black berries are harvested, washed, and after they can already be boiled, then the red ones must also be previously placed in the freezer for several days so that the bitterness goes away. If you plan to cook a lot of berries and your freezer has a limited space, soaking in salt water will work well as an alternative to remove the bitterness.
It is possible, however, to avoid these procedures altogether, but in this case it will be necessary to collect the berries for the red rowan jam not when they are ripe, but only when the first frosts hit. In this case, the work of the freezer or salted water will be done by nature itself.
There are many ways how to cook rowan jam, but this is considered a classic one: the berries are covered with sugar, the mixture is left overnight, then put on fire and boiled until thickened. There are also many ways to thicken the jam, you can just cook a dessert for about 40-50 minutes, or you can cook it several times for 5-10 minutes, completely cooling it before each subsequent cooking. Both methods will allow you to get a thick syrup, but they are very time consuming. A quick way to get delicious thick mountain ash jam is to boil it for 5-10 minutes, but at the time of boiling add a thickener - gelatin, pectin, agar.
An important feature of the preparation of the dessert is that whatever the recipe for mountain ash jam, if you see that the berry has given very little juice, you can safely add water. Still, mountain ash is a dense berry, and even a long "aging" in sugar may not give the desired result in the form of a large amount of juice.
If you are a lover of rich jam without adding water, adding other softer berries that will give more juice can save the situation - mountain ash goes well with sea buckthorn, viburnum. Also, rowan jam is often prepared with apples; black fruits sound especially harmonious with this fruit.
Separately, it is worth noting the "live" jam, which does not involve heat treatment. In this case, the berries and fruits are simply whipped in a blender together, sugar is added to taste, and the resulting mixture is frozen. This is not only a faster way to prepare fruits for the winter, but also a more useful - a "live" product better retains useful components.
Composition and calorie content of rowan jam
In the photo, rowan jam
The energy value of a dessert is determined by the type of berry used as the basis, as well as the amount of sugar added during cooking.
On average, the calorie content of mountain ash jam with a ratio of 1: 1 with sugar is 300 kcal per 100 g. At the same time, the black mountain ash dessert turns out to be more satisfying - 390 kcal per 100 g, and from the red one - lighter - 190 kcal per 100 g.
The proportions of BJU on average are as follows
- Proteins - 0.4-0.8 g;
- Fat - 0.1 g;
- Carbohydrates - 64-75 g.
It can be noted that no matter what kind of berry, mainly jam is a source of carbohydrates, it also contains a negligible amount of proteins and practically no fats. It is noteworthy that if you add less sugar to it, it will be less nutritious and contain fewer carbohydrates.
Rowan, in addition to proteins, fats and carbohydrates, contains other important nutrients - primarily vitamins and minerals. It is important that there are fundamental differences in the composition of rowan jam, depending on what kind of berry it is. So, chokeberry is rich in vitamin K and selenium, and red - vitamin A, C, beta-carotene and magnesium.
Composition of red rowan per 100 g
- Vitamin A, RE - 1500 mcg;
- Beta carotene - 9 mg;
- Vitamin B1, thiamine - 0.05 mg
- Vitamin B2, riboflavin - 0.02 mg;
- Vitamin C, ascorbic acid - 70 mg;
- Vitamin E, alpha-tocopherol - 1.4 mg;
- Vitamin PP, NE - 0.7 mg;
- Niacin - 0.5 mg;
- Potassium - 230 mg;
- Calcium - 42 mg;
- Magnesium - 331 mg;
- Phosphorus - 17 mg;
- Iron - 2 mg;
The composition of chokeberry per 100 g
- Vitamin A, RE - 200 mcg;
- Beta carotene - 1.2 mg;
- Vitamin B1, thiamine - 0.01 mg
- Vitamin B2, riboflavin - 0.02 mg;
- Vitamin B4, choline - 36 mg;
- Vitamin B5, pantothenic acid - 0.5 mg;
- Vitamin B6, pyridoxine - 0.06 mg;
- Vitamin B9, folate - 1.7 mcg;
- Vitamin C, ascorbic acid - 15 mg;
- Vitamin E, alpha-tocopherol - 1.5 mg;
- Vitamin H, biotin - 2.5 mcg;
- Vitamin K, phylloquinone - 80 mcg;
- Vitamin PP, NE - 0.6 mg;
- Niacin - 0.3 mg;
- Potassium - 158 mg;
- Calcium - 28 mg;
- Silicon - 10 mg;
- Magnesium - 14 mg;
- Sodium - 4 mg;
- Sulfur - 6 mg;
- Phosphorus - 55 mg;
- Chlorine - 8 mg;
- Iron - 2 mg;
- Aluminum - 20 mcg;
- Boron - 4, 8 mcg;
- Vanadium - 9 mcg;
- Iron - 1.1 mcg;
- Iodine - 5 mcg;
- Cobalt - 15 mcg;
- Lithium - 0.9 mcg;
- Manganese - 0.5 mcg;
- Copper - 58 mcg;
- Molybdenum - 8, 7 mcg;
- Nickel - 11 mcg;
- Rubidium - 3.4 mcg;
- Selenium - 22.9 mcg;
- Strontium - 6 mcg;
- Fluorine - 13 mcg;
- Chromium - 2 mcg;
- Zinc - 0.01 mcg;
- Zirconium - 2 mcg.
Also, both berries are rich in natural organic acids, fiber, pectin, tannins, essential oils, flavonoids, specific antioxidant and anti-inflammatory components - terpenoids, anthocyanins, rutin, etc.
Useful properties of rowan jam
The rich chemical composition determines the huge benefits of rowan jam. At the same time, depending on which berry you close in the jars, you will get a slightly different effect. And although in general any jam will have a comprehensive positive effect on the body, black fruits will be extremely beneficial for the health of the thyroid gland and circulatory system, and red ones will be an excellent prevention of skin diseases, ophthalmological diseases and strengthen the cardiovascular system.
Useful properties of rowan jam:
- Strengthening immunity… Jam from any kind of berries will be very useful for stimulating the body's defenses. That is why it is so important to close the jars with it for the winter: a tasty medicine will not only prevent ARVI or help fight them, but can also save you from vitamin deficiency.
- Normalization of the cardiovascular system… Berries help to improve the functioning of the heart and blood vessels: they stabilize pressure and rhythm, strengthen blood vessels, and make them more elastic. Vitamin K in black mountain ash has an important effect on the condition of the blood, prevents it from thickening, which means it protects against thrombosis, which in turn can lead to an acute heart condition.
- Beneficial effect on the digestive system… The berries contain a large amount of fiber, which plays an important role in normal intestinal motility, helps to immediately remove toxins and toxins from the body. In addition, the delicious dessert has a positive effect on metabolism and, when consumed in moderation, even promotes slimness.
- Anti-inflammatory and antioxidant effect… Due to the content of the most useful plant components, rowan jam has an anti-inflammatory effect and is able to prevent many diseases, and even treat some at an early stage. Due to the presence in the composition of a large amount of antioxidants, the product helps to fight excess levels of free radicals, which in turn prevents cell mutations, early aging, and the development of cancer.
- Prevention of anemia and thyroid diseases… Jam-mix of black and red rowan is a real find for a modern woman. The fact is that the diagnosis of anemia (anemia) and hypothyroidism (insufficient synthesis of thyroid hormones) is made very often today, and the reason for their development is often a banal deficiency of certain minerals, in the first case iron plays a huge role (there is a lot of it in red, and in black fruits), in the second - selenium (chokeberry is extremely rich in them).
- Improving vision… It is worth mentioning the red rowan jam here, because it contains a huge amount of vitamin A and beta-carotene (more than in carrots!) - components that are so important for the health of our eyes. Therefore, this dessert is especially recommended for the elderly. However, it will not be superfluous for young people, because the constant freezing in gadgets, definitely, affects vision.
- Beneficial effect on the nervous system… A healthy dessert has a positive effect on the functioning of the nervous system. It tones, improves mood, relieves fatigue, irritability, nervousness, stabilizes the emotional state, and with constant use it can even help fight insomnia.
In general, as you can see, rowan jam is not just a delicious delicacy, but a real medicine. Of course, you need to understand that fresh berries contain more vitamins, minerals and other components important for the body than jam, but, nevertheless, even after cooking, they remain in significant quantities.
Read more about the benefits of blackberry jam
Contraindications and harm of rowan jam
However, despite the numerous useful properties, you should not immediately run and find out how to make mountain ash jam, because, like any other product, it has contraindications, and you need to familiarize yourself with them first.
The first thing to discuss is how much dessert can even a healthy person eat? In this sense, there is a fine line between the benefits and harms of rowan jam, nevertheless, despite the fact that berries are very useful, sugar is not the most desirable guest in our body. That's why 2-4 tsp. jam a day will be enough to get the benefits of berries, but not suffer the harm of sugar.
It is worth noting that this is the norm for a healthy person, if you have diabetes, obesity and other metabolic diseases, be sure to check if you can eat this delicacy. It is important to note that rowan jam can bring harm to everyone who adheres to medical nutrition and has not previously consulted with a doctor regarding the introduction of the product into the diet.
Rowan jam is definitely prohibited for people with high acidity, gastritis, coronary heart disease who have suffered a heart attack and / or stroke.
Rowan is considered a rather strong allergen, and therefore, pregnant, lactating and young children should be introduced to the diet with great care. You can start with half a teaspoon, then gradually increase the amount if there were no negative symptoms within 24 hours after the test.
Please also note that homemade rowan jam is always better than store jam, since various harmful components are often added to the latter - flavors, stabilizers, etc.
Note! The combination of natural organic acids and added sugar in the jam is detrimental to the enamel, and therefore, after eating the treat, be sure to rinse your mouth well with water.
Interesting facts about rowan jam
The degree of sweetness of mountain ash depends on the place of growth, so the garden contains up to 8% of sugars, and in the wild there are no more than 5%. This means that when making jam from homemade berries, you can add less sugar than wild ones.
To save the jam from spoilage at the end of its preparation, be sure to add a little citric acid, it will save not only from the spread of mold, but also from sugaring.
Try to eat blanks of rowan jam in late autumn or early winter, because storage destroys useful components, and therefore the more the jar costs, the less valuable it becomes.
Watch a video about rowan jam:
Rowan jam is an extremely healthy dessert. It not only improves mood, but also comprehensively helps our body to work smoothly and reliably. Although, of course, it is important to observe reasonable measures of its use. A few spoons for your lunch cup of tea is what you need!