Composition and calorie content, the main useful properties of gooseberry jam. Who shouldn't use it? Original cooking methods, baking recipes.
Gooseberry jam is a dessert that can be served with tea or used as an ingredient in baked goods and other sweet dishes. Represents berries cooked in sugar syrup. There are many different ways to prepare it. One of the best is the so-called emerald or royal jam. To prepare it, first a cherry broth is made on the leaves, and then dessert is cooked on it. Thanks to such an interesting course, the jam acquires a unique original taste. However, it should be said that gooseberry dessert is not only a tasty treat, but also a healthy product. It strengthens the immune system, saves from vitamin deficiency and anemia. However, it is important to keep the sugar content in mind and consume it in moderation.
Composition and calorie content of gooseberry jam
In the photo, gooseberry jam
Gooseberry jam is a dessert that will be especially appreciated by those who are trying to lose extra pounds, but do not want to completely give up sweets.
The calorie content of gooseberry jam is 220 kcal per 100 g, of which
- Proteins - 0.4 g;
- Fat - 0 g;
- Carbohydrates - 54.5 g.
Please note that the energy value is indicated for jam, which is prepared in a 1: 1 ratio, that is, 1 kg of sugar is taken for 1 kg of berries. If you add less sugar, the dessert will be even less nutritious and healthier.
Low calorie content is not the only value of the product. Gooseberry contains many useful components, especially it is rich in vitamins C, H, as well as silicon and manganese.
Vitamins per 100 g
- Vitamin A, RE - 33 mcg;
- Beta carotene - 0.2 mg;
- Vitamin B1, thiamine - 0.01 mg
- Vitamin B2, riboflavin - 0.02 mg;
- Vitamin B4, choline - 42, 1 mg;
- Vitamin B5, pantothenic acid - 0.286 mg;
- Vitamin B6, pyridoxine - 0.03 mg;
- Vitamin B9, folate - 5 mcg;
- Vitamin C, ascorbic acid - 30 mg;
- Vitamin E, alpha-tocopherol - 0.5 mg;
- Vitamin H, biotin - 500 mcg;
- Vitamin PP, NE - 0.4 mg;
- Niacin - 0.3 mg.
Macronutrients per 100 g
- Potassium - 260 mg;
- Calcium - 22 mg;
- Silicon - 12 mg;
- Magnesium - 9 mg;
- Sodium - 23 mg;
- Sulfur - 18 mg;
- Phosphorus - 28 mg;
- Chlorine - 1 mg
Microelements per 100 g
- Aluminum - 33.6 mcg;
- Boron - 11 mcg;
- Vanadium - 1.2 mcg;
- Iron - 0.8 mg;
- Iodine - 1 mcg;
- Cobalt - 0.9 mcg;
- Lithium - 0.9 mcg;
- Manganese - 0.45 mg;
- Copper - 130 mcg;
- Molybdenum - 12 mcg;
- Nickel - 6 mcg;
- Rubidium - 19.3 mcg;
- Selenium - 0.6 mcg;
- Strontium - 20 mcg;
- Fluorine - 12 mcg;
- Chromium - 1 mcg;
- Zinc - 0.09 mg;
- Zirconium - 1.3 mcg.
The berry also contains many other important components, such as pectin, flavonoids, organic and fatty acids, tannins, antioxidants - tannins, anthocyanins, etc. Despite the fact that during cooking and storage some of these elements are destroyed, some of them the amount is still retained in the gooseberry jam.
Useful properties of gooseberry jam
The benefits of gooseberry jam:
- Normalization of the digestive system… Due to the presence in the composition of pectin - soft fiber - the dessert stimulates intestinal peristalsis, promotes the rapid removal of toxins and toxins from the body, including salts of heavy metals and radionuclides.Due to the content of B vitamins, it also helps to better absorb food, normalize metabolic processes.
- Strengthening the immune forces… Dessert stimulates the body's defenses, increases the level of resistance to various infections. This property is especially important in the season of colds, and therefore a jar of gooseberry jam for the winter simply needs to be closed.
- Beneficial effect on the heart and blood vessels… The product helps in improving blood composition, strengthening the walls of blood vessels, normalizing cholesterol levels, increasing good and lowering bad, and helps to normalize blood pressure. Moderate consumption of gooseberry jam prevents atherosclerosis and thrombosis.
- Diuretic and choleretic effect… The berry has a mild stimulating effect on the functioning of the bladder and gallbladder. The first property protects against edema, fluid stagnation; the second - helps to better digest food fats.
- Antioxidant effect… Also, simple gooseberry jam has an important antioxidant effect on the body. It is able to neutralize free radicals, thus protecting cells from mutation, which in turn is an excellent prevention of early aging and the development of cancer.
- Normalization of the nervous system… Jam has a positive effect on mental performance, relieves fatigue and irritability, has a beneficial effect on the psyche, has a tonic effect. It is great to drink tea with this dessert as a complement to lunch, it will help you to cheer up and work efficiently in the afternoon.
It is believed that gooseberry jam is a great way to protect yourself from vitamin deficiency and anemia, which usually develop in the fall and winter, making a person feel overwhelmed in the spring. Therefore, cooking gooseberry jam is an indispensable stage in summer preparations.
- Sour cream cake… Mix sugar (100 g) with jam (1 cup), add a little water (1 tablespoon), leave for half an hour. Beat eggs (2 pieces) with sour cream (250 g). Combine the masses, add flour (1, 5 cups), mix well until smooth. Pour the dough into a mold, bake at 200 ° C for 40-50 minutes. Serve with powdered sugar.
- Sandwich cake with protein cream… Mix softened butter (200 g) with yolks (2 pieces) and sugar (1 cup). Add flour (3.5 cups), soda (1/4 tsp), vanillin (on the tip of a knife), knead the crumb dough. Divide into two parts, roll both out. Put the first crust on a baking sheet, then the jam (1 glass) and the second crust. Put in an oven preheated to 180 ° C. Prepare the protein cream: whisk the whites (2 pieces) with the sugar (100 g). As soon as the cakes are browned, take them out, lay the protein cream nicely, reduce the heat to 150 ° C and cook until the cream is browned.
- No-bake chocolate chip cookies… Grind the finished biscuit dough (100 g) into crumbs, mix with gooseberry jam (50 g), add chopped nuts (150 g) and any bitter tincture (30 ml) - in the original Venezuelan tincture on Angostura rum, the best analogs are Becherovka, jagermeister, Riga balsam. Melt a bar of milk chocolate (100 g) in a water bath, add to the dough, mix well, place tightly in a mold previously covered with cling film, refrigerate for 30 minutes. Take out, cut the cookies into squares.
- Walnut kurabiye… Mix sugar (70 g) with flour (300 g), chopped hazelnuts (100 g) and butter (250 g), refrigerate for half an hour. Shape the dough into balls, place on a baking sheet, make a depression in each and put jam (100 g). Bake for 15 minutes at 180 ° C.
C for half an hour. Pull out, cut into squares.
Interesting facts about gooseberry jam
Due to the fact that gooseberry jam has a pronounced sourness in taste, its "culinary abilities" are not limited to its use in baking and desserts, it can become an excellent basis for preparing an original sauce for savory dishes.
The sourness also makes jam an excellent remedy for nausea, so it is often recommended for pregnant women with toxicosis.
Remember that the longer the jam is stored, the fewer useful components remain in it. Try to eat the preparations for the fall and winter, or at least for the season.A product that has been gathering dust on the shelf for more than a year is unlikely to have any benefits.
Watch a video about gooseberry jam:
Gooseberry jam is a delicious and healthy dessert. Eat it with tea or add to your favorite pastries. However, do not forget about the measure - it contains a lot of sugar, which obliges you to limit consumption.