All about chili oil. Calorie content, composition, useful properties and harm. How to make a spicy dressing, what additional spices are better to use? Delicious recipes with hot chili oil.
Chili oil is a spicy dressing based on vegetable oil and chili peppers, one of the most basic in Chinese cuisine. Often, in addition to chili, the recipe contains other types of pepper and spices - ginger, star anise, bay leaf, garlic, etc. The dressing is very hot and aromatic. For lovers of bite, it is a completely versatile product in the kitchen, which can be used to flavor both a rich meat stew and a light vegetable salad. In this case, the degree of pungency can be varied by adding different amounts of chili oil - a couple of drops or a couple of tablespoons. However, the pungency is not the only thing that the dressing can give to the dish, despite the high concentration of pepper, it has a multifaceted taste.
The composition and calorie content of chili oil
In the photo, chili pepper oil
The calorie content of chili oil is 800-900 kcal per 100 g, of which about 90-95% are fats
The product is high in calories, and therefore its presence in the diet should be correctly dosed, especially if the diet is dietary.
The vitamin and mineral composition of chili oil is very variable: it all depends on which base oil will be used and what additional spices are added. However, any oil is rich in fatty acids and vitamin E, and chili pepper - a constant component of the seasoning - is a good source of B vitamins, vitamins A, E, PP, K, as well as minerals - potassium, calcium, magnesium, phosphorus, iron, manganese, selenium, zinc. In addition, it contains specific components such as phytosterols, steroid saponins, capsaicin.
The health benefits of chili oil
In China, spicy dressing is loved in every home and people believe in its healing properties. She is credited with a wide variety of beneficial effects, which are primarily associated with the aforementioned capsaicin. It is believed that it is able to affect not only the physiological state, being, in particular, a good pain reliever, but also the psychological state, improving mood and giving vigor.
Chili oil benefits:
- Anti-inflammatory effect… The product has powerful anti-inflammatory properties, capsaicin is one of the main elements providing this effect. It is important to note that it is relevant for diseases of various origins - bacterial, viral, fungal, parasitic, etc.
- Positive effect on the heart and blood vessels… Again, capsaicin has been shown to affect cholesterol and platelets. It does not allow the former to accumulate on the walls of blood vessels, and the latter to "thicken", which prevents thrombosis and blockage of blood vessels and, accordingly, reduces the risk of developing acute cardiac conditions.
- Strengthening immunity… Some of the most important contributors to the immune response are vitamin E and zinc, which are found in pepper. Thanks to this, regular consumption of hot chili oil is a good prevention of colds and other diseases.
- Stimulation of metabolic processes… The product stimulates appetite and tones the intestines. If you add even a couple of drops of seasoning to a dish, food will be digested more efficiently: useful components will be absorbed faster, and harmful ones will leave the body faster.
- Anesthetic effect… Studies have shown that eating foods containing capsaicin releases endorphins, naturally occurring opiates that are needed to numb pain.It is noteworthy that refueling helps not only with moderate pain accompanying, say, muscle pain after a good workout, but also with severe spasms with rheumatism, sciatica, etc.
- Anti-cold effect… The dressing will be very appropriate to add to the diet for colds, since it has a warming effect, promotes sputum discharge, and relieves nasal congestion.
- Beneficial effect on the nervous system… Thanks to B vitamins and the effect on endorphin receptors, recipes with chili oil always cheer you up, give you vigor and tone.
- A product of beauty and strength… Fatty acids and minerals are components that make refueling an important part of the diet for both men and women. Together, they improve the condition of the skin, hair, nails, strengthen joints, muscles and bones.
- Antioxidant effect… The product is a rich source of vitamin E - one of the main antioxidant vitamins, thanks to which the body maintains the correct balance of free radicals, and thus maintains youthfulness of cells and prevents their mutations.
As you can see, dishes made with hot chili oil have a truly healing effect. They will probably be especially relevant in the evening: baked fish with chili and vegetables will not only become a proper balanced dinner, but will also cheer you up, give you strength, and relieve fatigue.
Chili Pepper Oil Recipes:
- Shrimp in spicy sauce… Peel the shrimp (750 g): remove the shell and entrails, and leave the tails for beauty. Combine soy sauce (3 tablespoons), sesame oil (2 tablespoons) and chili (2 tablespoons), add sugar (1 teaspoon). Heat the wok, fry the garlic (3 cloves) until smelling, toss in the shrimp, cook for 3-5 minutes. Pour in prepared sauce, stir and turn off heat. Serve with rice, your favorite vegetables, and green onions.
- Pork ears appetizer… Prepare ears (6 pieces), cover with cold water, put on fire and cook for 20 minutes. Drain, rinse your ears, put back in a saucepan and cover with water, and also add ginger root (2-3 small pieces), green onions (several stems), peppercorns (handful). Cook for 3-4 hours. Pull out the finished ears, rinse, cut along the cartilage. Combine chicken stock (6 tablespoons) with chili dressing (4 tablespoons), black rice vinegar (2 tablespoons), soy sauce (2 tablespoons), sesame seeds (2 tablespoons).), sugar (2 tsp), add salt to taste and finely chopped herbs. Place the chopped ears on a plate, top with the dressing, and stir.
- Spicy wok… Heat the wok strongly, fry the minced pork (150 g) over high heat, remove from heat and add chili oil (3 tablespoons), soy sauce (3 tablespoons), rice vinegar (2 tsp), rice wine (1 tsp), ground black pepper (1 tsp), finely chopped shallots (2 heads). Stir and let sit for a few minutes. Meanwhile, boil the Chinese noodles (250g). Place the garnish on bowls, top with the contents of the wok, sprinkle with chopped green onions to taste.
- Spicy Chicken Soup… Cut chicken breast (400 g) into strips, salt. Whisk whites (2 pieces) with starch (1.5 tsp) and water (1 tbsp). Pour the mixture into the chicken, stir, leave for an hour. Soak the wood mushrooms (5 g) for 15-20 minutes, remove the legs, then chop, also cut the shiitake (30 g) without legs. Chop into tofu strips (100 g). Add mushrooms and tofu to the chicken. Boil water, put all prepared ingredients, cook for 3-5 minutes, remove and spread on paper towels. Heat a wok, add mushrooms, chicken and tofu, sauté with soy sauce (3 tablespoons), rice vinegar (2 tablespoons), sugar (1 teaspoon) and salt (1/2 tsp.). Pour in chicken broth (500 ml), bring to a boil, add starch (2 tbsp) previously dissolved in cold water (2 tbsp), stir. Serve with chopped cilantro (3-4 sprigs) and chili butter (5g). You can also boil rice and / or eggs, add to ready-made soup to make it more satisfying.
- Spicy potato wedges… Rinse young potatoes (1 kg) well and cut into slices right with the skin.Drizzle with olive oil (2 tsp) and chili (2 tsp), add salt (1/2 tsp) and black pepper (1/4 tsp). Mix well, place the slices on a baking sheet in one layer. Bake for about half an hour, stir a couple of times during baking.
- Marinade with sherry… Combine soy sauce (50 ml), dry sherry (50 ml), finely chopped onions (120 g), grated ginger root (2 tablespoons), sesame oil (1 teaspoon) and chili (2 tablespoons). l.), add the Chinese seasoning "Five spices" (2 tsp). Mix everything well, use as a marinade for meat, fish, seafood and vegetables.
See also ghee recipes.
Interesting facts about chili oil
Chili oil is especially popular in the Chinese province of Sichuan. It is usually used in this region for cold dishes and snacks, as well as various sauces with the addition of soy and mirin are prepared on its basis. However, it is also added to hot dishes. Sichuan specialties with spicy dressing - soup with wontons (Chinese dumplings), pork ears salad, chicken bany-bany, spicy noodles.
There are many variations in the preparation of chili oil, only one spice remains constant - chili, the rest can be changed, adapting the taste to your own preferences. In addition to spices, you can add chopped herbs and spicy vegetables to the dressing. Homemade chili oil is a tribute to tradition, mainly in China, of course, they buy the finished product in the store.
Watch a video about chili oil:
Chili oil is a hot spicy oil dressing for dishes. Versatile and especially beloved in China. It is added everywhere and is appreciated not only for its multifaceted taste, but also for its many beneficial properties. Buy or make chili oil yourself and be sure to try adding it to your diet, but check the contraindications first.