Composition and calorie content of kai-lan. The benefits and harms of Chinese broccoli. Features of preparation, recipes for food and drinks.
Kai-lan is a vegetable that belongs to both leafy and cabbage crops at the same time, since the fork does not form. Other names are Chinese collard greens, Chinese broccoli, gailan, hon-tsa-tai, chale, and even mustard orchid. All aerial parts of the plant are eaten: unopened inflorescences, delicate green-bluish leaves, stems. The latter especially appreciate the tips resembling tender young asparagus. The vegetable tastes like kale, broccoli and asparagus combined, or spinach, but without the characteristic sourness. Can be eaten raw and after heat treatment.
The composition and calorie content of Chinese broccoli
In the photo, kai-lan kale
Chinese broccoli is appreciated not only for its delicate original taste, but also for its nutritional properties. Vitamin and mineral composition of the vegetable is rich, energy value is low. The product can be safely incorporated into weight loss diets.
The calorie content of kai-lan is 26 kcal per 100 g, of which
- Proteins - 1.2 g;
- Fat - 0.8 g;
- Carbohydrates - 2.1 g;
- Dietary fiber - 2.6 g;
- Ash - 0.83 g;
- Water - 93 g.
Vitamins per 100 g
- Vitamin A, RE - 86 mcg;
- Beta Carotene - 1.032 mg;
- Lutein + Zeaxanthin - 957 mcg;
- Vitamin B1, thiamine - 0.1 mg;
- Vitamin B2, riboflavin - 0.153 mg;
- Vitamin B4, choline - 26.5 mg;
- Vitamin B6, pyridoxine - 0.074 mg;
- Vitamin B9, folate - 104 mcg;
- Vitamin C, ascorbic acid - 29.6 mg;
- Vitamin E, alpha tocopherol, TE - 0.5 mg;
- Vitamin K, phylloquinone - 89.1 μg;
- Vitamin PP, NE - 0.459 mg;
Macronutrients per 100 g
- Potassium, K - 274 mg;
- Calcium, Ca - 105 mg;
- Magnesium, Mg - 19 mg;
- Sodium, Na - 7 mg;
- Phosphorus, P - 43 mg.
Microelements per 100 g
- Iron, Fe - 0.59 mg;
- Copper, Cu - 64 μg;
- Selenium, Se - 1.4 μg;
- Zinc, Zn - 0.41 mg.
The kai-lan contains
- fatty acids responsible for youth and beauty, omega-3 and omega-6;
- sulforane - an anticancer agent;
- flavonoids - plant polyphenols with antioxidant and bactericidal properties, with a predominance of quercetin and campferol.
There is more ascorbic acid in the composition of Chinese cabbage kai-lan than in oranges. A portion of lettuce (80 g) contains 67% of the daily value of vitamins C and A, which support organic immunity.
The benefits of Chinese cabbage kai lan
The useful properties of the mustard orchid were noticed by the healers of Indochina. It was recommended to be introduced into the diet of pregnant and lactating women to replenish the reserve of useful minerals, in particular calcium. It is less than in dairy products, but it is easier to digest.
The benefits of kai-lan cabbage
- Thanks to zinc and ascorbic acid, it supports stable immunity.
- Reduces the risk of developing breast cancer by normalizing estrogen production.
- It has an antioxidant effect, isolates free radicals traveling in the intestinal lumen and bloodstream.
- Suppresses the production of atypical cells, stops the malignancy of neoplasms.
- Due to the high amount of fiber, it accelerates peristalsis, prevents the accumulation of slags and toxins. Normalizes digestive processes, relieves constipation.
- Reduces the level of "bad" cholesterol, reduces the risk of developing cardiovascular diseases, ischemia, heart attacks, strokes.
- Due to omega-3 and a complex of B vitamins, it suppresses degenerative processes in the brain, improves memory function, and accelerates impulse conduction.
- Improves the quality of epithelial tissue, strengthens bones and tooth enamel, reduces nail brittleness and protects hair from splitting. The risk of osteoporosis in individuals with milk protein allergy is reduced by supplementing the diet with mustard orchid.
- Increases the level of hemoglobin in the blood, helps to recover from glandular deficiency anemia.
- Reduces blood clotting, prevents thrombus formation, maintains blood flow rate.
- Improves visual function.
The glycemic index of kale kale is 28 units, with long-term storage it increases slightly - up to 32 units. This means that with the help of this vegetable you can diversify the menu of persons suffering from diabetes.
Chinese broccoli stops age-related changes, stimulates the production of natural collagen. Provides a feeling of fullness for a long time, so you can reduce the number of snacks. This helps to avoid disrupting the weight loss diet.
Note! Chinese nutritionists advertise mustard orchid as a fat-burning product.