Characteristics of marinara sauce, recipes. Calorie content and composition, benefits and harms to the body. Dish recipes.
Marinara is an Italian universal sauce, the main ingredients of which are tomatoes, garlic and herbs. Literally translated as "sailors sauce". The difference from similar dressings is the absence of meat ingredients and a long shelf life. Consistency - homogeneous; structure - often pasty, but large cutting of vegetables is allowed; color - red-orange, bright; taste - spicy tomato, with sourness and a hint of freshness; aroma - intense, spicy sweetish. Refers to products of the national cuisine of Italy, but is currently more popular in the United States.
How is marinara sauce made?
Every restaurateur and housewife has their own recipe for making an original sauce. But it is believed that without the addition of basil and oregano, it is impossible to obtain the desired "Italian" shade.
How to make marinara sauce:
- Classic recipe… On tomatoes (1 kg) make cross-shaped cuts, dipped for 1, 5 minutes in boiling water, and then in cold water. This treatment will help to quickly peel off the skin. Cut, remove the pink core in the middle, if any, spoon out the seeds and grind in mashed potatoes. Crushed cloves of half a large head of garlic are fried in a pan with heated olive oil for 3-4 minutes. Pour in tomato puree, bring to a boil. Spicy herbs - oregano and basil (1 / 3-1 / 2 tsp) - are mixed with 8 g of granulated sugar, poured into a pan. Cook until thick, stirring occasionally. Pour in 25 ml of dry red wine and the juice of half a lemon. Salt to taste. Cool before serving. To make the structure absolutely uniform, rub through a sieve.
- With bell pepper… 5 large bell peppers, red or green, tart and juicy, brush with olive oil and bake in the oven at 200 ° C until burnt spots appear on the surface. Peel the fruit, remove the pulp and seeds. 6 peeled tomatoes and baked peppers are ground in a blender bowl along with half a fresh seedless chili pod. Fry 3 finely chopped garlic cloves in olive oil, pour in the vegetable puree and stew for 20-30 minutes until a sufficient amount of liquid has evaporated. Before turning off, pour in 0.3 tsp. oregano, basil, a pinch of powdered black pepper, add lemon juice and salt. Cool before serving.
- From tomato paste and apples… Finely chopped onion and 2 cloves of garlic are fried in olive oil. Apples without skin (2 pcs.) Finely chop, removing seeds, rub 1 carrot. Put everything in the pan. Stew until all the ingredients are soft, purée with an immersion blender and pour in 300 ml of tomato paste. Stew for 10 minutes, add herbs, pepper, salt and 1 tbsp. l. bite. You don't need to use lemon juice, there is enough acid. Turn off after 1 minute.
- Tomatoes in their own juice… Sliced onion heads and 3 garlic cloves are fried in olive oil. Grind 1 liter of tomatoes in mashed potatoes in their own juice, pour into a pan and evaporate excess liquid. A mixture of Italian herbs and lemon juice are added to taste, the amount depends on the spices that were added to the homemade preparation. Bring the contents of the pan to the desired consistency.
- With wine… 700 g of tomatoes are peeled, seeds removed, chopped with a blender. Pieces of shallots (100 g), garlic (12 g) are fried in olive oil. Pour tomato puree into the pan. Stew for 20 minutes, pour in 200 ml of dry red "Merlot", stir in 120 g of tomato paste, cut greens - dill (30 g), parsley (50 g), cilantro (50 g), add grated celery root (70 g). Pepper and salt to taste.If the consistency is very thick, add water and bring to a boil, stirring constantly. The finished sauce is cooled and rubbed through a sieve. Boil again for 1 minute.
- With green tomatoes… Chop, without mixing, 2 carrots, 0, 15 kg of onions, 5 cloves of garlic. Sautéed in olive oil, but not fried. Pour 1 tbsp. l. sugar and lay out the green tomatoes (2 kg) cut into pieces. Stew for 30 minutes, squeeze out the juice of half a lemon, add herbs, salt and pepper to taste, cook for another 1 minute. Turn off, cool, grind through a sieve to remove coarse inclusions. Interestingly, the taste of the sauce is not much different from the dressing made on the basis of ripe tomatoes. But the color becomes brown.
You can make a preparation of marinara sauce for the winter by pouring it into sterile jars. In this case, instead of lemon juice, a bite is added at the end of cooking. Before the lids are rolled, olive oil is poured onto the surface of the contents or covered with a layer of mustard.
To make the marinara sauce tastier, it is advisable to heed the following recommendations:
- Before stewing, grind the tomatoes through a sieve;
- It is better to use a thick-walled saucepan or deep frying pan;
- It is imperative to stir while stewing so that the sauce does not burn.
Important! Duration of storage of marinara sauce is 5 days in the refrigerator in a hermetically sealed container.
The production of marinara sauce in an industrial environment is fully automated. The production line is equipped with a vegetable washer, a machine for chopping peppers and tomatoes, cutting onions and garlic, multi-stage sieves, a stirrer and an autoclave with a pressure chamber. Herbs and flavors are added using a dispenser. From one process to another, the intermediate product is transported through a pipeline. Packaging is carried out using a vacuum machine so that there are no bubbles in the cans. After the sauce has been filled in sterilized jars, the lids are wrapped by a twist-off machine. Can washing, labeling and stamping are carried out in the pre-sale workshop.
You can buy ready-made marinara sauce. The cost depends on the packaging. In Russia, a jar of sauce from Italy is offered for 500 rubles, in Ukraine - for 260 hryvnia. American products are packaged in food grade plastic containers. Before you buy the sauce, you should read what is written on the label, what ingredients are included in the composition.
Composition and calorie content of marinara sauce
Pictured marinara sauce
Despite the fact that the sauce contains olive oil, the nutritional value is low. It can be safely used during a weight loss diet.
The calorie content of marinara sauce is 54.7 kcal per 100 g, of which:
- Proteins - 1.5 g;
- Fat - 1.4 g;
- Carbohydrates - 6.9 g;
- Dietary fiber - 1.5 g;
- Water - 86 g.
Vitamins per 100 g:
- Vitamin A - 155.4 mcg;
- Beta Carotene - 1.123 mg;
- Vitamin B1, thiamine - 0.05 mg;
- Vitamin B2, riboflavin - 0.071 mg;
- Vitamin B4, choline - 10.96 mg;
- Vitamin B5, pantothenic acid - 0.298 mg;
- Vitamin B6, pyridoxine - 0.161 mg;
- Vitamin B9, folate - 26.538 mcg;
- Vitamin C, ascorbic acid - 28.34 mg;
- Vitamin E, alpha tocopherol - 1.082 mg;
- Vitamin H, biotin - 0.762 mcg;
- Vitamin K, phylloquinone - 96.8 mcg;
- Vitamin PP - 0.9753 mg.
- Potassium, K - 419.12 mg;
- Calcium, Ca - 37.72 mg;
- Magnesium, Mg - 29.87 mg;
- Sodium, Na - 333.35 mg;
- Sulfur, S - 19.74 mg;
- Phosphorus, P - 54.1 mg;
- Chlorine, Cl - 366.1 mg.
Microelements per 100 g:
- Boron, B - 73.1 μg;
- Iron, Fe - 1.502 mg;
- Iodine, I - 1.27 mcg;
- Cobalt, Co - 3.895 μg
- Manganese, Mn - 0.2508 mg;
- Copper, Cu - 146.11 μg;
- Molybdenum, Mo - 5.055 μg;
- Selenium, Se - 1.185 mcg;
- Fluorine, F - 37.41 μg;
- Chromium, Cr - 3.18 μg;
- Zinc, Zn - 0.3678 mg.
The composition of the marinara sauce is rich. In addition to the vitamin and mineral complex, it contains organic acids, amino acids, essential oils. Herbs and lemon juice are added at the very end of cooking, so the nutrients are preserved almost in full.
The marinara sauce contains lycopene. This carotenoid pigment has special properties.During heat treatment, its amount increases. The substance protects plants from excessive oxidation, and the human body - from free radicals.
Useful properties of marinara sauce
The sauce stimulates appetite, increases the production of digestive enzymes. No stagnation occurs, slags and toxins do not accumulate.
The benefits of marinara sauce:
- It has an anti-stress and calming effect, normalizes sleep.
- It inhibits the development of atherosclerosis, reduces the risk of heart attack, stroke, dysfunction of the cardiovascular system.
- Improves visual function, reduces the rate of degenerative changes in the optic nerve and retina.
- Normalizes oxidative processes in the body, protects against changes in the structure of DNA at the cellular level (due to lycopene).
- Reduces the amount of free radicals traveling in the lumen of the intestinal loops, suppresses the production of atypical cells.
- Reduces the risk of bowel, kidney and prostate neoplasms.
- Prevents the development of caries and gingivitis, inhibits the vital activity of harmful bacteria.
Self-made marinara sauce can be introduced into the diet of children from the age of 1, 5 years and pregnant women, provided that the amount of spices is reduced.
If you refuse to fry in oil and limit yourself to stewing, and then grind the ingredients, then the nutritional value of the product will drop to 40 kcal. This sauce is a healthy food. It can be added to the menu of patients recovering from debilitating illnesses associated with intoxication.
Marinara sauce recipes
The sauce can be called universal. Spaghetti, meat dishes are seasoned with it, pizza of the same name and hot dogs are made on its basis. Russians add it as a dressing to cabbage soup, and Ukrainians add to borscht.
Recipes with marinara sauce:
- Stewed sea bass… Red peppers (2 pieces) are baked in the oven for 15 minutes at 200 ° C, peeled and cut into ribbons. Cut a head of onion and a little garlic, fry in a refractory form in olive oil (2 tablespoons), put pepper and 450 g of sea bass fillet, cut into portions, there. 1, 5 cups of marinara, 0, 25 glasses of dry white wine are poured into the gravy boat, evaporated until it thickens. Pour pieces of fish with wine sauce to completely cover the surface, salt, pepper and bake at a temperature of 180-190 ° C. After 20 minutes you can taste it. Before serving, sprinkle with fresh herbs of your choice and always with basil.
- Cottage cheese dumplings… Mix ricotta (250 g), chopped parmesan (30 g), wheat flour (100 g), a whole egg and 1 yolk. The consistency of the dough should allow you to form the dumplings with your hands (you may need to add more flour). Roll out the dough several times, sprinkle the surface for cutting with flour, roll it into a layer, and then roll it into a roll, cut into dumplings and give each one the shape of a pillow. Sprinkle the plates with semolina flour, lay out the blanks so that they do not stick together, put them in the freezer for 30 minutes. Bring water to a boil, add some salt, boil the dumplings until they float. Heat 2 cups of marinara to a boil, dilute with a small amount of water from the dumplings, and they are first thrown into a colander, and then into a saucepan with boiling sauce. As it boils, remove from heat, sprinkle with herbs, season with salt and pepper.
- Pasta casserole… Grind 120 g of ricotta and 80 g of Parmesan. In boiling marinara seasoning (1.5 l), dissolve both cheeses, a glass of 20% cream, boil until thickened. 2 eggs are driven in. Separately, boil in salted water until al dente paste. Mix it with cheese sauce and spread on a baking sheet greased with sunflower oil, cover with foil. Bake for 40 minutes at 190-200 ° C. Open the oven, remove the foil, sprinkle with chopped mozzarella and put it back in the oven. Wait until the cheese crust turns golden. While the casserole is hot, add the herbs.
See also recipes with sabayon sauce.
Interesting facts about marinara sauce
The recipe for the sauce was developed by ship coca in the 16th century. However, the name itself "speaks" about it. It was necessary to come up with a sauce that would not spoil without a refrigerator. In the hold, it was stored for up to 3 days, even when sailing in hot seas. Columbus "helped" to come up with a recipe: it was to him that Europe owes the appearance of a fleshy berry. The seeds were brought to the Old World by the conquistadors in 1493. Later, culinary experts repeatedly experimented with the composition of the marinara sauce, often introduced perishable ingredients into it - meat, fish, seafood.
Interestingly, a "vegetarian" recipe for marinara sauce is now used in the United States, close to the original - that is, tomatoes, herbs and olive oil. But in Italy and Spain itself, under this name they can offer a tomato-based sauce, with mushrooms or seafood - mussels, shrimps, squid.
Watch the video about marinara sauce: