Rules for dealing with hopelessly sick people. A set of tips for helping incurable patients who are recommended for palliative care. A hopelessly ill person is a palliative patient whose health indicators give him the lowest chance of life. In this case, the age factor does not matter, because fate announces such a sentence to both adults and children. Close people of a seriously ill person should heed the recommendations of this article in order to alleviate the fate of an incurable patient.
Description and options for palliative care
To begin with, it is necessary to decipher the terms already voiced, which may be unknown for a simple layman who has not faced such a disaster.
Palliative- This is a treatment for the failure of vital organs of a person, which allows you to alleviate his suffering, but is not able to save the affected side from the pathology itself.
Incurable patient- this is a patient who is almost impossible to save from the point of view of modern medicine.
Hospice- an institution where a palliative person receives appropriate care and moral support.
Before talking about helping such people, it is necessary to understand the patient's very perception of the misfortune that happened to him. In this situation, we are talking about a double reaction in the event of a problem: the horror of the patient himself when making a terrible diagnosis and the helplessness of his immediate environment due to incompetence in the voiced question.
Many now fashionable clinics simply thrive on the intermediaries of the so-called medical tourism. Patients and their families grab onto the straw offered by well-known rehabilitation centers. Spain and Germany have already become famous for taking on the so-called experimental treatment of children with the last stage of neuroblastoma (cancer in babies that occurs from one to three years of their small life). India is known for its desire to give a person a new heart, even with a very advanced stage of the disease of an inoperable patient. Korea is always ready to help literally everyone with any diagnosis, and Turkey, along with Israel, does not lag behind it.
The question in this case is not in the options that are offered by well-known clinics that undertake to save an incurable person and ask incredible amounts for their services. The dilemma is how to properly organize (even at home) care for hopelessly sick people. We are already talking about palliative, when a person needs to brighten up the last days of life with the most competent organization of his life.
Rules for dealing with hopelessly sick people
When notifying about a terrible diagnosis, relatives should adhere to a strategy that will cause the least moral damage to incurable people.
How to communicate with an adult
Some people believe that it is best to make a serene appearance with complete inaction, when a trouble of this kind knocks on their house. However, experts recommend that you behave as follows if your soul mate is diagnosed with a life-threatening diagnosis:
- Providing positive examples… It is better for a hopelessly ill person to tell about the victory over a fatal disease by the same Daria Dontsova, Joseph Kobzon, Kylie Minogue, Laima Vaikule and Rod Stewart. It is not worth mentioning the bitter experience of Zhanna Friske, Patrick Swayze, Anna Samokhina and Jacqueline Kennedy. Such information must be presented in a metered manner and exclusively in a positive manner.At the same time, false optimism should be avoided, which only relaxes the one who is in trouble.
- Restriction on the use of Internet resources… A hopelessly sick person will not be prevented from communicating on forums with the same unfortunate people as he is. However, the increased interest in informational articles regarding his incurable pathology must be banned. An incurable patient does not need unnecessary experiences, because they can then turn into a relapse and additional experiences for his immediate environment.
- Reasonable approach to fundraising for treatment… In recent years, social networks have made it possible to open groups for helping seriously ill people according to the rules clearly established by the administration of the sites. However, the documents provided to donors often contain recommendations of specialists on palliative care, when it is almost impossible to help a person. In this case, giving advice is very difficult. Some relatives make the deliberate decision of placing their loved one in a hospice or taking him home, rather than collecting an endless amount of money for meaningless treatment abroad.
- Offer to keep a photo album… It doesn't matter if the patient is in a hospice or at home. He should be advised to cover his every day of life in the form of a literary essay. At the same time, experts recommend diversifying the diary with photographs of relatives or patients who are in the same ward with a terminally ill person.
- Conclusion of a certain union… The so-called alliance "incurable patient - doctors - relatives" should take place. Otherwise, mutual claims will arise, which will only complicate the ongoing palliative care.
- Struggle for quality of life… Communication with sick people does not mean giving false hope to an incurable patient and artificially extending his life, but improving the living conditions of such a person. All efforts of relatives and friends should be directed to ensure that the injured party understands that they love her and will stay with her until the end.
Attention! When communicating with a person on palliative care, it is necessary to hurry not to rush. A similar paradox is deciphered as a recommendation from experts, with a sober assessment of the situation, to make it clear to your soul mate that they are fighting for it and there will always be a free minute to contact it.
Features of communication with a sick child
In this case, it is the hardest thing to say, but there is no point in hushing up the problem. Hopelessly ill children require the following approach from adults, who must show the utmost wisdom:
- Silencing the problem… An adult must definitely know about what is happening with his body. For a small child, you can argue with this question. He still should not delve into all the subtleties of the existing misfortune that happened to him. “Less words - more action, care and love” should be the motto for the parents of such children.
- Promotion "Give me childhood"… Adults should understand that in case of an incurable disease of their son or daughter, they should (no, they should!) Fill the last days of their child's palliative with the most vivid impressions in his short life. During this period, you can even allow him to do what was previously forbidden.
- A gift every day… A hopelessly ill kid may simply not see his next birthday, Christmas, and the New Year tree. Isn't it worth while giving him a small present every day, knowing the danger of his illness?
- Buying a pet… In this case, it is best to have a cat who always acutely feels the health problems of its owner. If there are no contraindications for communication between a child and an animal, then this acquisition will bring reassurance to a hopelessly sick baby.Practice shows that it is during this difficult period for themselves that children ask to buy them a four-footed friend and even keep a diary in advance for taking care of him.
- Constant presence with the child… All daily activities will wait until the beloved child is discharged for a palliative. Parents should spend every minute and second with a seriously ill child. Ideally, invite the older generation of the family, aunts, uncles and godparents to whom the baby or teenager is attached to live for this time.
- Working with a psychologist… Incurable little patients simply need this help. In hospices, such psychological assistance is meant, but not all parents agree to give their blood into the wrong hands. Therefore, they need to additionally look for a specialist who will help establish communication with their sick child.
- Referral of children to hospice… We are talking about the last months (days) of the little patient. However, it is in the voiced institution that the child learns what skilled care is. Parents should heed this recommendation because they often expose their children to torture if possible to avoid it. They have two choices: to fight to the end with a zero chance, or to lose the child without exhausting him with yet another dubious foreign research.
Taboo when dealing with a hopelessly sick person
Tactfulness in this matter does not at all mean callousness on the part of loved ones of someone who is in a difficult life situation. In an effort to do what is best, because of their incompetence, they often make the following mistakes:
- Excessive focus… If people are hopelessly sick, then they definitely require maximum care and careful care. However, some relatives are too keen on this process, once again showing the injured party all the deplorableness of her situation. Excessive optimism will also be inappropriate, because sick people are acutely aware of falsehood and outright pretense.
- Increased mystery… Any of us would be on guard when they begin to speak in a whisper with a tragic expression on their faces. Especially patients can be strained by the situation when, when they appear, relatives become silent or try to abruptly turn the conversation to another topic.
- Reflections on the frailty of life… Of course, such sayings have a deep philosophical meaning. However, in the sounded case, excessive eloquence should be stopped. The patient, if he is aware of what is happening to him, and he himself is able to understand the criticality of the situation (the exception is Alzheimer's disease).
- Finding Healing in Alternative Treatment… As an example, we can cite the case when the public was outraged by the news that with stomach cancer, parents gave their baby urine to drink for a long time. At the same time, dad and mom really considered urinotherapy to be an ideal way to get rid of all ailments. As a result, the child ended his life in terrible agony, when he could once again hug his favorite toy in the hospice ward under the supervision of specialists.
- Clarification of relationships with doctors… Quite often, relatives are engaged in such a hard-hitting business right in front of a hopelessly ill patient. Trying to find a way out of their pain and making doctors guilty, they harm their loved one with incorrect behavior, and do not support him.
How to communicate with hopelessly sick people - watch the video:
Compliance with the rules when communicating with a sick person is sometimes so successful that even people with a diagnosis such as leukemia enter a stable 5-year remission, after which disability is removed from the affected person. Some deadly diseases end in full recovery if patients believe in themselves, are not at the last stage of the development of pathology and have a number of reliable friends with financial and moral support.