Find out why you shouldn't eat sweets on a regular basis and how to avoid side effects that occur with the use of simple carbohydrates. Scientists have found that sugar is eight times more addictive than cocaine. When a person consumes a lot of sugar, he almost slowly kills himself. Today we will tell you what sugar detoxification is and how to do it. If your diet contains minimal amounts of this product, then don't worry.
Many nutritionists believe that not everyone should do this procedure, and later you will find out why. Scientists today cite sugar as the main cause of various ailments. However, after getting used to it, it is extremely difficult to give up its use, and it is at this moment that it is worth detoxing.
Why is sugar dangerous?
The most dangerous is white refined sugar. It is used by humans and in the food industry. After consumption, sugar quickly enters the bloodstream and provokes a sharp release of insulin. As a result, the work of many body systems can be disrupted. Today sugar is included in a large number of products on the supermarket shelves. Moreover, some manufacturers indicate other names, for example, syrup or cane sugar.
However, this does not change the essence of the issue. One teaspoon of the product contains 16 calories, which may show a relatively low figure. However, sugar does not provide nutritional value and causes the accumulation of body fat. In addition, excessive use of this product can cause the development of such a serious ailment as diabetes.
One of the negative effects of sugar is its ability to create spikes in glucose. As a result, a person feels constant fatigue, becomes irritable, etc. In addition, sugar contributes to the destruction of tooth enamel. Since glucose contributes to the destruction of collagen, the quality of the skin deteriorates and wrinkles appear on it. Scientists have proven that it is sugar that can cause the development of diseases of the cardiovascular system, cause disruption of the kidneys, liver and other internal organs.
Of course, there are types of sugar that you shouldn't give up. These include lactose and fructose. This is due to the fact that a person uses them in their original form. For example, refined fructose, which is used as a sugar substitute, is essentially no different from the main product. In addition to sugar, fruits contain many micronutrients that the human body needs.
For example, honey in moderation can only provide benefits, and it has been shown in research that it does not cause a sharp spike in blood glucose levels. Today, on the shelves of supermarkets, you can find a lot of sugar substitutes. Many people find these products to be safer and use them heavily. However, this is not the case, which has been proven through research.
Sugar detoxification: what it is, how to carry it out
Surely you know that under the name "detoxification" we mean cleansing the body. Now we will introduce you to the basic principles of this procedure.
- Give up sugar gradually. If you are already addicted to sugar, it will be difficult to quit. We do not recommend doing this abruptly, as the body will be in a state of severe stress.This in turn can cause headaches and mood swings. We recommend that you phase out sweets gradually for long-term results.
- We exclude sugary drinks from the diet. Various drinks and juices found in our supermarkets are sources of sugar. Do not think that a drink with a Light prefix can be safe. These foods supply a lot of calories to the body, but at the same time they cannot relieve us of the feeling of thirst or hunger. Drink plain water or freshly squeezed fruit juices.
- Eat complex carbohydrates. Sugar is a carbohydrate and, in theory, should supply energy to the body. However, all products containing this substance are not able to increase a person's energy supply. Remember that you should only use foods that contain complex carbohydrates for this task. They are processed by the body for a long time and cannot cause a sharp jump in insulin concentration. But you will feel a surge of strength for a long time.
- Learn to identify foods with sugar in restaurants. It is best to visit catering establishments as rarely as possible. Almost all dishes in them contain sugar and sometimes in large quantities. If you stop consuming sugar at home, try to choose those dishes in which the content of this product is minimal when visiting restaurants. This question can be clarified with the waiter.
- Stop sweetening all meals at home. It's hard to break the habit of adding sugar to all drinks and most meals. If you drink coffee every morning with two teaspoons of sugar, then reduce this amount to one, and then give up altogether. Gradually, you will wean from sugary drinks, and you will not experience the discomfort that can occur with a sharp refusal.
- Hide sweets. Probably, not everyone in your family will be happy with the decision to give up sweets. As a result, you will see sweets in the kitchen, and they will seduce you with their appetizing appearance. We advise you to set aside a separate cabinet for such products so that they do not catch your eye. People often eat whatever food comes into their sight without realizing the fact that it can be dangerous.
- Introduce protein foods and healthy fats into your diet. If you decide to give up sugar, you should not be satisfied with what has already been achieved. This is a reason to completely revise your diet and start using healthy foods. We have already talked about complex carbohydrates, but there are two more nutrients that the body also needs - fats and protein compounds. Useful are unsaturated fats, which come from nuts, vegetable oils, avocados, etc. Protein compounds are found in legumes, eggs, meat (choose lean varieties), poultry and others.
- Use natural seasonings. You don't have to use sugar to make a dish tastier. There are seasonings that can add a sweetish flavor without harming the body. First of all, these are vanilla and cinnamon.
We just talked about what sugar detoxification is and how to do it. However, let's summarize and outline the main steps you need to take to quit sugar:
- Give up sugar gradually, but irrevocably. This also applies to sugary drinks from the supermarket.
- Don't use artificial sweeteners, as they are no better than sugar.
- Remove all sweets in the house and start eating fruits and berries.
- In the diet, it is necessary to replace simple carbohydrates with complex ones, as well as to make it as balanced as possible.
- Use a variety of condiments such as cinnamon, nutmeg, or vanilla.
Why isn't sugar detoxification always good for you?
In fact, sugar has never been considered a healthy food. Detoxification from sugar, what it is and how it is carried out, we described above, cannot be called a new trend.However, now this topic is becoming popular again, and many decide to carry out this procedure, even if they do not need it. Quite often today they talk about this in the media, promising quick weight loss, increased tone and improved well-being. However, any cleansing of the body can be effective only under certain conditions. Let's find out why sugar detoxification is not necessary for everyone, and what negative consequences it can entail.
Increase in body weight
Probably, someone was very surprised, because the proponents of the procedure, among its main advantages, point out the possibility of getting rid of excess weight. If you abruptly give up sweets, then there is a desire to eat high-calorie foods. If you are already limiting the consumption of this product, then it may not make sense to abandon it completely.
Development of various eating disorders
Many people revert to consuming the product after completing a sugar detox. Scientists note that this procedure can provoke severe bouts of bulimia. People who are out of order justify this by the fact that they have not consumed sweets for a long time and can afford to relax. You must remember that avoiding any food can lead to eating disorders. Before you do your sugar detox, think carefully about whether it makes sense to give up for a while from a product that you will then start using again.
There is a desire to "correct the mistakes made"
Often, people who have not been able to fully complete the entire detox procedure consider themselves weak-willed losers. To do this, it is enough to break off only once, then to reproach yourself for a long time. To rectify the situation, they take various rash steps that can lead to serious consequences.
Not everyone can handle the lack of sugar in the diet
Not every one of us is capable of avoiding sugar consumption for a long time, let alone a complete rejection of the product. If you belong to this category, then first think carefully about the appropriateness of such a step. If you cannot completely abandon the product, it makes no sense not to consume it for several days or even weeks.
Sugar isn't the only reason to gain weight
This product is one of the many causes of obesity. Sugar is not the only one to blame for all the troubles. Basically, weight gain or loss depends on your diet. By manipulating the energy value of the nutrition program, you can lose weight. To succeed faster, start exercising. Even if you stop consuming sugar, but the calorie content of the diet is high, you will not be able to get rid of excess weight.
Sugar detox is not required for a healthy diet
Sometimes a person decides to start leading a healthy lifestyle and is sure that sugar detoxification is indispensable. However, avoiding this product does not guarantee a change in dietary habits. If you have already tried to refuse a product, then you probably know how difficult it is to do it. Remember, you can only gradually change your habits in the long run.
In conclusion, I would like to say that sugar is not an absolute evil. Of course, if for health reasons it cannot be consumed, then there are no questions. However, if you occasionally consume this product in small quantities, then you will not harm yourself.
Here are 8 reasons to give up sugar: