Someone prefers to bake food in foil, someone uses paper or a sleeve for baking. However, not everyone knows their difference. We will find out what is better to choose for a particular dish. Video tips. Most often, few people think about which dish to use foil, parchment or sleeve for. We usually take what is at hand. But it's not that simple. Because choosing the right material significantly affects the quality of the finished product. Let's put everything in its place and share the intricacies of using aluminum foil, sleeves and baking paper.
Parchment is used for baking absolutely any product at a temperature not exceeding 200 ° C. They simply cover a baking sheet without greasing the oil, and the food will not stick, and the form will not burn. The hostesses fell in love with parchment for the environmentally friendly dishes cooked in it. This is a great helper in the kitchen, the main thing is to choose it correctly.
- The paper should be silicone coated. Then it will withstand the heat and will not leak the liquid.
- Produce brown and white parchment. Their quality is the same.
- Paper is sold in rolls or separate sheets according to the size of the width of the baking sheet from the oven. The sheet is simply laid on a baking sheet, and the required length is cut from the roll.
- It is convenient to make envelopes from parchment for baking fish or meat. To do this, it is convenient to fasten it with an ordinary stationery stapler.
Foil is made from thin active metal aluminum. It comes in different lengths, widths and densities. A very thin foil, when wrapping food in it, can tear, very dense - it bends poorly, so it is inconvenient to wrap meat or fish with it. It is better to choose medium density foil.
The advantage of foil is that the aluminum sheet can withstand temperatures up to 600 ° C, so you can bake delicious meat or potatoes in it. And not only in the oven, but also on coals in an outdoor barbecue. During baking, a high temperature is evenly maintained in the foil, and the aluminum does not allow the juice to evaporate, which makes the products very juicy. Most often it is used for baking pieces of meat, poultry, fish. As with parchment, foil also needs to be used properly for baking.
- Avoid acids and bases. For example, do not sprinkle lemon juice, wine, or vinegar marinades on foil-wrapped foods. Also, do not cover dough that contains baking powder. Since aluminum, when combined with air, is covered with a protective oxide film, which prevents it from oxidizing. And acid and alkali dissolve this film, from which harmful aluminum salts are released.
- Grease meat or fish with sunflower oil before sending them in foil, otherwise they will stick.
- Wrap food right side in foil. The sheet has a shiny and matte side. Shiny reflects well the heat that the oven gives off when heated and food does not stick to it. Therefore, spread the foil with the matte side to the table, and the shiny side to the food. Roll the food in an envelope or cover with another layer of foil with the shiny side inward.
- Foil should never be used for baking food in the microwave. When aluminum comes into contact with the walls of the microwave oven, sparks will appear, from which the device will fail.
- Food in foil will cook faster than on an open baking sheet.
- Foil can be used to store food in the refrigerator.
Sleeve for baking
The sleeve is ideal when you need to feed a large family every day. It is a pipe made of heat-resistant film (thin food grade plastic), the material for which is polyethylene phthalate (PTEF). It is sold twisted into a roll, from which it is unwound and cut to the desired length. Food is placed in it and tied on both sides with plastic bands or clips. Polyethylene can withstand temperatures up to 220 ° C and does not emit harmful substances when heated.
Dishes in the sleeve can be baked using marinades and sauces. Under the influence of steam, the products release their own juice, in which they are cooked, which makes them juicy and soft. The advantage of the sleeve - the dishes will be ready faster than without it. For comparison, a small chicken in the oven is baked for one hour, and in the sleeve - 35-40 minutes, since there is a constant circulation of steam. At the end of cooking, be careful not to burn yourself with the steam. And if you need a golden crust, then 15 minutes before the end of cooking, the sleeve is cut. You can bake any food in the sleeve: meat, poultry, fish, vegetables or allsorts.
- Buy sleeves and baking bags of high quality and certified, better than European ones. These labels say "environmentally friendly" or "after disposal, the material does not emit harmful substances into the atmosphere."
- Measure the length of the sleeve with small allowances for tying on 2 sides. Although bags with a sealed one end appeared on sale, and only the second edge needs to be fixed.
- It is convenient to tie one end of the sleeve, fill the sleeve and fasten the other end with a clothespin.
- The high temperature swells the sleeve in the oven. If placed incorrectly, it will hit the wall and burst.
- Place the products in the sleeve on a baking sheet, not on the wire shelf.
- When baking in the sleeve, you cannot use the "Grill" function.
- If the package changes color when heated, acquires an unpleasant pungent odor, breaks and crumbles, then it is dangerous to use it.
- Check the readiness of the food by piercing the meat with a toothpick through the sleeve. If it passes easily and does not ooze red juice, turn off the oven.
- Roasting time depends on the size of the product. Bake pork weighing 2 kg for 1, 5 hours, chicken - 1 hour, vegetables - 40 minutes, fish - 30 minutes.
So, what to choose a sleeve, parchment or foil is up to the hostess herself. In any case, all culinary assistants will facilitate the preparation of food and help to prepare it tasty, aromatic and juicy.
Why use foil, and what parchment. What's the difference?
2 tips for a novice baker with baking paper.
How to choose foil and parchment "Advice from Everything will be good."