Basic techniques of patchwork sewing, materials for needlework. The best patchwork craft ideas: potholders, pillow, phone case, bedspread.
Patchwork is one of the oldest sewing techniques, which involves combining pieces of fabric with each other. Created as an applied skill, the technique has transformed into a special style known throughout the world. Despite the apparent complexity, some products can be made even by beginners in needlework with a minimum set of tools.
Features of patchwork crafts
Patchwork is a sewing technique in which scraps of fabric or leather are joined together and into a functional craft. It is assumed that at all times the craftsmen had an urgent need to efficiently use trims of expensive fabric, and therefore the technique of joining different flaps arose independently in different cultures. The first material evidence of the developed technique was found during excavations in Egypt. Archaeologists have found a blanket made from scraps of leather, dated to around 600 BC.
If in ancient times the patchwork style was an urgent need, designed to save fabric, today it is a real exotic. Even experienced craftswomen in the world of needlework are in no hurry to master the technique, although, if you figure it out, patchwork for beginners is an ideal starting point. Patchwork has all the advantages of needlework as an applied art - it develops fine motor skills, and at the same time, neural connections in the brain. For a younger age, such an activity is useful by activating the areas of the brain responsible for motor and speech functions, for adults - preventing age-related changes and improving memory. In addition, sewing lowers blood pressure, has an anti-stress effect, and improves the overall emotional state.
It is impossible not to mention the household benefits of do-it-yourself patchwork. Even a beginner, using detailed master classes, will be able to sew items useful for the home:
- Potholders… Ideal as a first craft. There is very little material for a simple patchwork craft, and a square product will be sewn quickly enough. Despite its simplicity, you will appreciate the lightness and practicality of the base seams. If desired, a stand for hot drinks is made using the same principle instead of a potholder.
- Pillow… Decorative soft crafts are easy to carry out even by beginners in sewing. If you have already tried to make potholders, then in this case you will not spend much more time. The basic skills obtained during the study of master classes for sewing pillows will also help to create children's business boards, development exercises, and perpetual calendars.
- Bedspread patchwork… This is a visiting card of an experienced craftswoman. The creation of an exclusive interior element will require more time and material, but the technique is not distinguished by its complexity. If you add a layer of insulation to the bedspread, you get a very interesting insulated blanket.
- Apron… Another kitchen accessory that looks harmonious in the house. A patchwork master class is perfect for learning more sophisticated cutting and sewing techniques. In addition, a bright patchwork apron is a practical solution for an active housewife.
- Patchwork clothes… Combining prints in one piece is a long-running trend in modern fashion. In the industrial version, such models are sewn by luxury brands, for example, Etro. If you like sewing, then you can easily create interesting outfits for yourself.
Of course, this list is far from complete.The first crafts appeared before our era, the patchwork technique is actively developing to this day. Historical models are presented in two museums in Europe (the Historical Museum in Zurich and the Textile Museum in Geldeiberg), as well as in a number of exhibitions of North American culture, as settlers actively used patchwork techniques to create home textiles. But modern craftswomen go far beyond the usual sewing techniques. Experiments with different materials, techniques, designs lead to the emergence of completely new unique crafts.
Note! As a style, patchwork is a combination of materials with different patterns. Today, such patterns can be placed not only on fabric, but also on other materials - paper, wood and even metal. All these products will be in the patchwork style.
Materials for making crafts in the patchwork style
If you are interested in the fascinating world of needlework, then first of all you need to learn how to choose the right fabric for patchwork. For experienced craftswomen, it will not be difficult to combine various materials, but for beginners it is better to choose fabric of the same density. These can be scraps from a sewn dress or scraps of old shirts of the same density.
But the colors and patterns for the first craft are better to choose contrasting ones. In this case, it will be easier for a beginner to navigate in the direction of sewing stitching and work according to patchwork patterns.
You will also need a standard sewing kit:
- tailor's scissors;
- thick paper or cardboard for the pattern;
- pencil, chalk or a piece of dry soap;
- threads and needles;
- sewing machine.
In the case of combining several techniques or creating a complex product, you may also need a roller knife, crochet hook, acrylic threads and decorative elements, such as buttons, beads, locks. The additional set of tools will depend solely on your idea.
Note! Patchwork can help create great decorative items, but the base needs to be prepared. For example, a patchwork pillow requires a feather or synthetic blank. You will need insulation for your quilt. Review the required materials before starting work.
Basic techniques for making patchwork crafts
The patchwork sewing algorithm is quite simple. The patchwork is created step by step in three stages:
- Choice of materials… The scraps of fabric for the first crafts should be tight. Set your sewing machine to sew even stitches on this fabric, regardless of thickness. The future product is planned depending on the materials you have. If the choice is not limited, try to fully comply with the solution proposed in the master class.
- Sketching future sewing… For novice needlewomen, it is recommended to use standard sewing patterns from master classes. Do not be afraid to repeat them, even patchwork potholders in a standard pattern, but your patches will look completely unique.
- Joining the flaps into a single pattern… First, small squares are assembled, from which a whole picture is then compiled. You can connect the parts by hand, with a sewing machine or with a crochet hook, depending on the technique you choose.
This sequence in needlework is the same for all types of materials and sewing techniques. But the patterns may differ. By placing the flaps in one square of the workpiece, as well as their combinatorics, the following types of patchwork are distinguished:
- Traditional (English)… The scraps of fabric form a single piece of fabric, folding into a geometric pattern. The technique allows you to create both small and large crafts. Flaps of simple geometric shapes are used as blanks, and the reverse side is sewn up with a single piece of cloth.In turn, the traditional type of patchwork, as one of the most ancient, is divided into subspecies - fast squares, strip to strip, watercolor and others. They differ in different methods of assembling geometric parts.
- Crazy technique (crazy flaps)… Sections of various shapes and colors are collected into a single canvas. Contrasting seams are decorated with decorative embroidery, beads, sequins. It is quite difficult for beginners to understand this technique on their own, so it is recommended to study a detailed master class before starting work.
- Japanese… Patchwork is combined with fabric applique and quilting. An obligatory element of the product is the stitching of the fabric with a seam "forward to the needle". The technology allows you to create not only geometric patterns, but also floral motifs. Thanks to the graceful patterns, patchwork-style fabric bags have become popular.
- Knitted… In this case, instead of patchwork fabric, knitted or crocheted shapes are used. The connection of the elements is carried out by crocheting in the order conceived by the author. The soft drapery of the patchwork product and the original design make this type of needlework ideal for creating textile capes and openwork wardrobe items.
When working, it should be borne in mind that patchwork is needlework for the patient. Creating even a small craft will take enough time, but the result will certainly delight you.
Best Patchwork Craft Ideas
It is a mistake to believe that this type of needlework is archaic due to its history. Crafts made from modern materials look modern and stylish. If you use bright contrasting prints and colors, you can achieve eclecticism. By the way, such a piece of furniture or wardrobe item does not bother at all, but on the contrary, it cheers you up. In pastel colors, any ideas and patchwork patterns will look very modern and gentle. Learning a new technique is best done through practice. To do this, use the step-by-step instructions for creating simple products - potholders, pillows, apron, bedspread.
Potholders can be considered one of the easiest patchwork ideas. They require few parts and are quick to assemble and fill. For beginners, it is recommended to make the product square using the “quick squares” technique, and as skill grows, the shape can be complicated.
Materials required for patchwork potholders 24 x 24 cm:
- square scraps of fabric measuring 9 by 9 cm - 9 pcs.;
- a strip of fabric 6 cm wide, 130 cm long (for edging) - 1 pc.;
- filler for patchwork (batting, synthetic winterizer or even a terry towel) - one square flap 26 by 26 cm;
- a piece of fabric 26 x 26 cm for the back of the potholder;
- sewing machine.
Making a patchwork potholder:
- We lay out the square patches in a 3 by 3 square. Sew the squares in rows of three patches. The seam allowance is no more than 6 mm. After completing this step, you should have three stripes 3 squares wide.
- We iron the seams; for each subsequent row, they should look in the other direction. For example, if in the first row the seams are ironed to the right, then in the second row they should be ironed to the left.
- We fold the rows to each other so that the finished vertical seams coincide. The fabric of the seam allowances at the junction of the rows should look in different directions. This arrangement is called a "lock" joint. We sew rows, connecting one side of the craft into a square. Iron the finished seams.
- We connect the layers of the potholder: one-piece flap of fabric, filler, sewn flap. Fix the layers to each other with pins.
- We quilt the layers of the craft, for this we sew three layers with an even line according to the intended patchwork pattern. It can be drawn with a marker on the fabric. We pre-fasten the stitch lines.
- Align the edges of the workpiece: cut off the excess.
- Fold a strip of fabric in half from the wrong side to the wrong side, iron the strip.
- We apply the strip to the tack blank, leaving the edge free up to 15 cm. We attach the strip to the blank around the perimeter.
- To beautifully fit the edging on the fourth side of the square, the excess length of the strip is cut off, and the free edges are sewn together,
- We turn the edging onto the second side of the tack and carefully attach it, completing the edge processing.
If desired, a loop can be sewn to the craft before processing the edge. Processing can be performed not only with cut-off flaps, but also with a purchased inlay.
Note! The stitches in the patchwork craft during sewing with “fast squares” do not need to be fixed, since during the assembly of the structure, the seams overlap each other and fix themselves.
Crazy patchwork pillow
Crazy technique is suitable for those who have a lot of fabric scraps of different shapes and sizes. By composing such patches, you will not only form a beautiful pattern, but also use the available materials correctly. We recommend choosing jeans for your first decorative pillow. Such cuts of fabric in different shades will look incredibly original, and thanks to the high wear-resistant characteristics of the fabric, you don't have to worry that the pillow will suffer from active use. In such a denim patchwork, you don't even have to cut the seams off the patches. They will only add originality to the craft.
- scraps of fabric of different shapes and colors, but of the same density;
- a sheet of paper the size of the future pillow;
- a whole piece of fabric for the back of the pillow;
- sewing machine.
Making a patchwork pillow:
- Cut out a square on a piece of paper to fit the pillow.
- Sort the jeans from smallest to largest.
- We spread the smallest flap in the center of the sheet, and then attach it.
- In random order, we lay out and sew pieces of fabric to each other, forming a fancy pattern of seams.
- When the entire surface of the paper blank is covered, carefully remove the backing.
- From a single piece of fabric we cut out a blank for the back of the pillow.
- We fold two squares (made in the style of a patchwork and one-piece), put a zipper in one of the sides.
- Sewing the blank.
Using a backing paper makes crazy patchwork easy for beginners, but as you get more experienced, you should be able to work without it. A pillow is put inside the finished pillowcase, but you can also make a one-piece product, without a zipper. To do this, use a synthetic winterizer as a filler.
Note! A pillow with a denim pillowcase has an exclusively decorative function.
Japanese Patchwork Mobile Case
The Japanese technique looks very gentle and unusual, but it will require more perseverance from you. The first craft should not be too complicated, in shape it can be a phone case or a housekeeper, but with experience you can easily switch to creating patchwork bags. The most common plot for the first craft is a house. To display it on fabric, it is recommended to select contrasting flaps.
- a piece of fabric for the base;
- applique flaps;
- sewing threads;
- floss thread for decorative seams;
- beads, beads for jewelry.
Making a case for a mobile phone:
- We cut out the blanks of the house from the fabric scraps - the roof and two walls.
- We cut out the main piece of fabric according to the size of the cover.
- We spread the flaps of the house on the blank of the cover and sew.
- On the house we also embroider with a seam "needle forward" of the windows and doors. They can also be sewn on with a second layer if there are scraps of fabric.
- Under the house with green floss threads we lay out the contour of the hills with stitches. You can also quilt the top of the workpiece, simulating the smoke from the chimney with the help of threads.
- Sew the phone case so that the applique is in the middle.
- We process the edges of the product.
Crafts in the patchwork style can be supplemented with functional locks or clasps, but often craftswomen frame them like paintings.
Bedspread in knitted patchwork technique
A patchwork knitted blanket is one of the coziest home accessories. Even a beginner can make it, because basic skills in working with thread and knitting needles are enough for crafts. If you are a professional knitter, then such a blanket will be an excellent opportunity to get rid of the remaining unfinished skeins of threads.
- leftover threads for knitting;
- knitting needles;
We make a plaid using the knitted patchwork technique:
- With knitting needles we knit squares of various sizes, patterns, colors from the remains of the threads.
- We put the finished squares together in order to evaluate their layout.
- We crochet the finished squares in one row with a single crochet.
- Hook the squares together.
To make the product look harmonious, it is recommended to use one color of threads for tying. The whole family can be involved in the creation of such a blanket. Highlighting its own "square" for each member.
How to make a patchwork craft - watch the video:
Patchwork crafts are original and useful things in your home. Despite the antiquity of this needlework technique, the products will be relevant, as they are created by your own hands. In creativity, do not limit yourself to just simple techniques and models. Moreover, in this type of needlework it is very easy to move from simple ideas to complex ones. By creating a miniature pillow, you can sew both a patchwork apron and your own blanket. Such crafts can be passed on as a family heirloom.