Features of the revelor as a material for creativity. How to work with Iranian suede? The best ideas on how to make beautiful crafts from foamiran: applications, flowers, dolls. Tips for beginners.
Foamiran crafts are products that are not inferior to natural colors, industrial dolls, toys in their realism. The use of innovative materials opens up an inexhaustible source of inspiration for the craftswomen. To date, bouquets and flower hairpins are made from revelor, but if you master the simple technique of working with the material, you can create handicrafts from foamiran on any topic with your own hands.
Features of crafts from foamiran
In the photo, crafts from foamiran
Flowers, which are as beautiful as real ones, but do not fade, excite the minds of craftswomen. To create such art objects, new applied techniques and materials are being developed. Foamiran is one of the most modern materials. Ethylene vinyl acetate (the name of foam for its chemical composition) has a porous structure and, in terms of its properties, is perfect for creative purposes.
In needlework, material is valued for its ability to take a new shape and hold it. The important thing is that once fixed in a new position, the foam remains as gentle to the touch. This property allows you to make perfect crafts in the form of flowers from foamiran - the petals perfectly hold any shape and are soft to the touch, like a living bud.
The authenticity of the material is not the only advantage of revelor in needlework. It will be important for caring parents to know that plastic suede (another name) is completely safe for children. The cut off working edge is too soft - the baby will not be able to injure himself. And during heating, the material does not release toxic fumes or smoke at all, Iranian suede is environmentally friendly.
Crafts from foamiran for beginners can be done even without heating. The rich color palette allows you to create true works of art using color, not just shape. And if you want to go beyond industrial shades, you can even use ordinary watercolors - the porous structure of the material perfectly accepts any dyes.
Making foamiran crafts for children is no less beneficial than other types of home crafts. For very little ones, this is a wonderful finger massage with the concomitant activation of neural connections and the development of motor skills, for older children it is a training of perseverance and attentiveness, and for adolescents it is a great opportunity for self-expression. Working with different colors, textures brings up an aesthetic taste in the child.
But it is also important that, regardless of age, the joint creation of crafts from foamiran for Easter, Mother's Day or any other holiday strengthens the relationship between generations, introduces the child to family traditions, teaches caring for family and friends, especially if such a craft is created as a gift …
Important! Foam itself does not cause allergies, which cannot be said about various dyes. If you experience a burning sensation or other discomfort on your hands after handling a new substance, see your doctor.
Techniques for making crafts from foamiran
Foam is produced in the form of thin sheets in various colors. The thickness of one sheet on average reaches 1 mm, so ordinary office scissors are suitable for cutting. In most cases, foamiran crafts master classes describe the creation of flowers and bouquets. The main task of the master is to give the material the shape and volume of a real petal or leaf.
First, a pattern of the future petal is drawn on paper. It is more convenient to work on graph paper for drawing, but ordinary paper in a box is also suitable for simple diagrams of foamiran crafts. We cut out the required number of foam blanks according to the pattern, which should be given volume.
Forming takes place using the following techniques:
- Twisting… The workpiece is twisted by hand and rolled with your fingers until the foam becomes thinner and pliable. This technique makes it possible to obtain a petal that is as close as possible to a natural one, since "streaks" are formed on the surface of the revelor due to twisting movements.
- Heating with an iron… A whole workpiece is applied to the hot surface for a few seconds, as soon as the foam becomes pliable, the petal is given the necessary bends. The volume of the petal is much larger than when twisting.
- Heating over candles… The point effect of the heat source allows you to process the edges of Iranian suede, but in general you can warm up the entire workpiece, although this will take much longer than when working with an iron.
To give the leaf a natural look (streaks, folds), special shapes can be used - molds and weiners, but they are not needed for light crafts made from foamiran.
Soft and pliable revelor is used not only for creating voluminous colors. Some craftswomen have found use for the material in appliqués, in scrapbooking, and in patchwork. The indisputable advantage of craft foam is the fixed edge. Even the thinnest sections of the material will look neat and will not lose their shape during active use.
Snowflakes from white foam or hand-made articles from foamiran on May 9, depicting a candle flame or a ribbon, look interesting and unusual. For a unique home decor, you will need a regular pencil to apply the template to the canvas, and a sharp stationery knife. Glue may be required to fix individual parts, it is best to use a pistol glue.
It is necessary to study and choose the technique that suits you in practice. Before you start creating crafts from foamiran, study the instructions step by step, and, if possible, make trial blanks. If you like them, use them in your work, if not, make new ones, but keep in mind that the material cannot be recycled.
The best craft ideas from foamiran
It is best to start your acquaintance with the material with children's crafts from foamiran. By creating beautiful, but uncomplicated applications, you will quickly learn the properties of the material and be able to move on to more complex techniques. Floral arrangements will require you to be more diligent and attentive, but the result will please. But go to the foamiran dolls when you master the molding technique and "feel" the material.
Postcard with flowers from foamiran
The advantage of foam crafts is their durability. The first children's products will retain their appearance unchanged for many years. That is why it is preferable to give greeting cards to loved ones from foam - so that they delight longer.
Creativity can be timed to a holiday by depicting a thematic plot on the basis of, for example, an egg or an Easter rabbit is glued on an Easter craft made from foamiran, and a Christmas tree on a New Year's one. As an example, we will show you how to make a simple card with flowers, but you can replace individual elements as you wish.
- foamiran for the base - a rectangular cut measuring 15 * 20 cm;
- colored foamiran;
- watercolors - optional.
Making a card with flowers from foamiran:
- Draw a blank on a rectangular base - mark where the largest flower of the composition will be placed, and where the flowers are smaller.
- We cut out simple blanks-flowers of different sizes from colored foamiran.
- Using pistol glue, we fix the flowers on a rectangular base.
- On top of the largest flowers, we glue small flowers with a second layer (add volume applications).
- We paint the card with watercolors to create a shadow effect. You can also use glitter paints.
Such a principle of how to make a craft from foamiran does not differ from working with colored paper, but if the card falls into the hands of the smallest, it is not scary that it will get wrinkled. It is because of the strength of the material that it is also recommended to be used as bookmarks. To create a beautiful bookmark, a narrow long base is used, a volumetric pattern is laid out only on the edge of such a backing so that the bookmark is not too thick.
The simplest volumetric foamiran crafts are Easter baskets and children's coin boxes. To get such a craft, it is enough to glue the tube from a narrow rectangle, attach the bottom for the basket, and also the lid for the coin box. A child can do such a craft even without the participation of adults. But creating volumetric colors will take a lot of time and effort, but the result should please you.
- foamiran - white and green;
- thick cardboard;
- pin with bead head;
Making a flower from foamiran:
- On cardboard we draw a blank template for petals and receptacle. In our case, these are the petals of a quatrefoil (2 small, 2 medium and 3 large).
- We lay out the blank templates on the foamiran and carefully circle them with a toothpick. We cut out the workpieces along the contour.
- We tint the edges of the petals with paints (optional). To apply the paint evenly and not too contrasting, use a sponge. Pour the dye onto a saucer, dip a clean foam sponge into it, and then apply it to the edge of the petal.
- We warm up the iron and form the volume of the petals, for this we apply the foamiran blank to the hot iron for a few seconds, and then quickly begin to form the petal. Using the same principle, we form a backing from a green foam and leaves.
- We collect the bud: we prick the smallest workpiece on a needle with a bead. We glue two petals opposite each other with pistol glue to form a bud. We glue the second and subsequent blanks already in a spiral - neighboring petals find themselves on top of each other only from the side.
- To make the craft of foamiran roses look like a real one, do not forget to twist the edges at the time of attaching the petals. Heat the material over a candle flame and then shape the edge to the desired shape.
- When the bud is assembled, carefully bite off the free edge of the needle with pliers.
- On top of the bud we glue a green receptacle.
The finished bud can be fixed on a foamiran base under a postcard, placed on a rim or a brooch holder. Most often, foamiran rose crafts are used as wedding accessories, including in the form of a backup bouquet for the bride. But orchids look interesting in home decor. In texture, such a flower is almost indistinguishable from the real one. How to use it, your fantasy will tell you
Since foam is an absolutely safe material, it is actively used to create finger puppets. An animal is drawn on a sheet of plastic foam, eyes, mustaches are glued, a bezel-fixer is attached under the finger. You can create such a craft from foamiran with your own hands with your child. You can complement your home finger theater with homemade decorations using the applique technique. But it will take more effort to create volumetric shapes. Crafts-dolls from foamiran require experience in working not only with revelor, but also with other textures.
- foam ball - 1 large;
- foam egg - 1 pc.;
- foam - flesh-colored for the body of a toy, bright for clothing;
- paints and brushes;
- wooden skewers.
We make a doll from foamiran:
- Cut out 2 rectangles from the flesh foam with dimensions of 14 cm by 11 cm.Wrap the foamiran around the wooden skewers with a tight ring, glue it - we get the legs for the doll.
- Cut the foam egg in half - this is a blank for the doll's feet.
- We glue the feet with colored foams. It is enough to take a rectangle measuring 12 * 10 cm. Before gluing, do not forget to hold the material near the iron so that the canvas is more tightly attached to the base.
- We attach legs to the finished feet: we simply stick the wooden skewers into the foam egg and fix it with a glue gun.
- We make the head of a craft doll from foamiran. We glue the foam ball with two squares 13 * 13 cm. The edges of the second square may not be cut off, giving them the shape of a fancy hat.
- On a toothpick or skewer, we make the doll's neck, just like the legs, but for work we use a rectangle 5 * 1.5 cm.
- We cut out a cone-dress for a toy, flat arms and sleeves of such a dress from the foam.
- We fix the parts together.
If desired, the dress of the toy becomes more complicated: ruffles, several colors of foamiran, and other decorative details are added. But you can also detail her face: draw facial features, emotions, cut hair or bangs out of foamiran. As your skill grows, the complexity of beautiful foamiran crafts can be increased.
Tips for beginners
It is quite difficult for a beginner to choose which craft to make first from foamiran. But you should not be fooled by the simplicity of working with the material, in order to get a really good result, you will have to make several tests.
To quickly master the intricacies of working with a revelor, it is recommended to choose an Iranian foam for your crafts. It stretches easily and holds its shape perfectly, does not turn black when overheated and does not melt. Chinese material is much easier to find in stores, but at the same time it is difficult to predict what kind of material it is in work, the elasticity of this foam cannot be compared with the elasticity of Iranian suede.
When buying new sheets, don't worry if you find toothpick punctures on them. In the work, such a hole will not interfere, but significant differences in thickness, uneven staining indicate a manufacturing defect. It will be much more difficult to work with such material.
Get started, only after studying the instructions for the craft from foamiran in stages and making sure that each point is clear to you. It is better not to leave the finished product near heat sources and open flames. But overall, the foam is well kept and maintained. To clean the foam, it is enough to walk with a damp cloth over the dirt, but the craft is not afraid of direct contact with water.
How to make a craft from foamiran - watch the video:
Crafts made from foamiran are unique decorations for your home, if executed in the form of flowers, they look almost like living things. After studying the master classes for creating buds and bouquets, the needlewoman will quickly master the simple techniques of working with the material, after which she can proceed to experimental creativity. With the revelor, almost all your ideas can be recreated in reality.