Features of the quilling technique for beginners, what tools are required. Simple composition schemes and basic elements. Tips for beginners.
Quilling is the art of making paintings or crafts from thin swirling strips of paper. The name of the type of needlework was born from the English word "quilling", which means "to crimp". To become an expert in this matter, you need to be able to roll up thin rolls of paper and fold them into a single composition.
Features of the quilling technique
In the photo, quilling for beginners
There is a legend that the quilling technique was "born" in the Middle Ages. The monks made small scrolls of gilded paper and offered them to noble gentlemen. Subsequently, the hobby migrated to the ranks of representatives of the wealthy strata of society. Ladies were engaged in quilling: the poor could not afford to buy expensive paper.
Today many people are fond of quilling. Special paper is sold for handicrafts: it is thin and evenly colored on both sides, resembling serpentine in quality. It is cut into strips up to 3 mm wide (the length is adjustable depending on the composition), spirals are twisted from them and the end is fixed with glue. From many elements, a picture is obtained.
The main task when mastering quilling for beginners is to learn how to roll the paper. To do this, use a toothpick or a rod from a ballpoint pen and tweezers. Since paper and paper strips are thin, neatness and precision are required.
You can fold compositions from elements using a stencil or by inventing a drawing yourself. For beginners, we recommend that you look at quilling samples, how to make the simplest postcards. Having mastered simple images, move on to complex ones.
Important! In symmetrical details of the painting, the elements must be of the same size. This is the hardest thing for beginners to achieve.
Before starting work, stock up on the necessary tools:
- rod, needle, toothpick or wooden stick for curling the paper (professionals work with a special quilling tool);
- thin colored paper, painted on both sides;
- stationery knife for cutting strips;
- nail scissors;
- quick-drying stationery glue (PVA or silicate);
This is the basic kit that all beginners need. When the tools are at your fingertips, you can start.
Quilling ideas for beginners
We suggest starting to practice quilling, trying to make several elements of the same size. If you master the technique of paper curling, start painting.
Rolls and curls
This is the name of the basic elements in quilling. A roll is a tight roll into which a strip of paper is twisted, and the end is fixed with glue.
To make a simple roll, take a piece of paper and cut a 3mm strip. Wrap the end around a toothpick or rod and continue winding. Pick up the end of the strip with tweezers, grease with glue and attach to the roll. The tight roll is ready. It looks like a spiral and is the main element of quilling compositions.
To make a roll with an off-center (vortex), grab the spiral with tweezers from the middle and glue it on one side.
A number of spirals can be made from a tight roll:
- cone - curls of paper are lowered by a "ladder";
- free spiral - release the paper a little so that it unwinds slightly, and secure the end;
- oval - a circle flattened on both sides;
- drop - pinch the paper at one end, forming a corner;
- eye - pull the spiral out at both ends;
- triangle - make three corners on the spiral;
- square - you will have to clamp 4 corners;
- month - an eye curved on one side;
- petal - bend a drop on one side;
- heart - pull the triangle down;
- leaf - flattened eye;
- flower - a figure with 4 corners, obtained by bending a triangle.
Another simple element is the curl. It is required to create flower stems. Hold the middle of the strip with your left hand. Press the place where the curl begins with your right hand against the blade of the scissors. Briskly slide the blade to the right without letting go of the strip. The end of the curl does not need to be fixed with glue.
When you have mastered the basic elements, start forming simple compositions.
If you glue the rolls on both sides of the paper strip, you get an imitation of phlox or berries on the stem. Such pictures are even present in quilling for children, since they are simple and do not require special skills.
Take a strip of paper along the length of the intended stem. Roll 6 rolls of the same color, but in different tones (rolls opposite each other must be of the same shade). Distribute the finished spirals in pairs, filling the upper edge of the strip with them, and glue. Arrange the finished flowers on the base for the painting.
Single flower card
Flowers are one of the easy elements of the quilling technique. For manufacturing, you will need 6 strips of white and pink paper.
Postcard making technique:
- Connect the white and pink stripes and thread the end into the holder (attach to the edge of a rod or wooden stick).
- Make 6 spirals of equal volume.
- Press down on the edges so that the rolls take the shape of a drop.
- Glue them together in the shape of a flower.
- Place a bead or ball in the middle.
- To simulate the leaves of a plant, twist 2 teardrop-shaped spirals of green paper.
- Place the elements on the prepared base and secure with glue.
The postcard is ready. You can give it to relatives for a holiday: such a handmade gift will delight everyone.
A simple drawing made from basic elements. You will need:
- 1 tight roll of red or burgundy color;
- 1 torso eye;
- 4 drops for the wings.
Make paired elements in the same shades. Glue the modules together and attach to the base.
A light picture for which you need to make several snowdrops. The basic elements for flowers are a cone and an eye. We make a cone from green paper (sepal), drops - from white (petals). For one flower, 3 drops are required. Insert them into the cone and secure.
Make 5-7 flowers. Cut out the outline of the basket from paper and glue to the base. Make stems from green stripes and attach buds to them. Additionally, decorate the card as you wish.
A painting made from red, orange and yellow paper. Before starting work, draw on the basis of the outline of the fish. Better to take a blue background that imitates the water surface.
Now make a series of elements:
- a drop (the eye is placed in it);
- orange with red and yellow "eyes" for the body and tail;
- triangle for the crown;
- curls to decorate the ponytail.
Place the finished modules in the contour of the image. Fill the body with orange and yellow "eyes", place a drop in front and glue the bead inside. Decorate the tail with curls.
Tips for beginners
The quilling technique seems to be something unattainable for beginners, but there is nothing complicated in it. Even children master the type of needlework.
To make the compositions look beautiful and pleasing to the eye, take note of the rules:
- Learn to combine full and empty rolls by alternating and combining them in the picture.
- Choose colors and tone transitions. To do this, fold 2 strips of different tones or contrasting colors and twist them together.
- Maintain the overall tone of the composition.
- As a basis for pictures, postcards, cardboard, candy boxes, old magazines, books, postcards are suitable.
- Don't be afraid to combine techniques. If you own scrapbooking, macrame or other types of needlework, create your own original style, combining elements of different directions.
- First, think over the composition, then make elements for it.
- Don't be afraid it won't work. Paper will endure everything!
What is quilling for beginners - see the video:
Quilling is a fascinating type of handicraft suitable for assiduous people. If you master the technique, it can become an additional source of income. Offer crafts as decorations for gifts, original greetings. A new hobby will expand your social circle and unleash your creativity.