Historical information about the variety of kao mani cats, the standard of appearance, health features and character of the pet, recommendations for the care and maintenance of the animal at home, the price of a kitten. Khao Manee - the name of this cat breed can be found in the form of Khao Manee or Diamond Eye (that is, "diamond eye). These animals are native to Thailand, as well as their more famous "relatives": Siamese and Thai cats, as well as representatives of the Korat species. However, these pets have their own unique characteristics that make them one of the most expensive cats in the world.
The history of the origin of the kao mani cat breed
This species is very ancient and the first mention of it can be found in the Cat Book of Poems (Tamra Maew), which dates from about 1350-1767 years. There the name Khao Manee is translated as "white gem", apparently, the reason was the completely white color of the animal's coat. According to historical data, only royalty had the right to own and breed cats of this species. And although these wonderful specimens of the feline world have been known in Thai lands for a very long time, the breeders of the largest felinological organization in the world (TICA) were able to achieve official registration only in mid-2009.
But back to history. In Thailand, an unusual animal was called "Khao Plort", that is, "all white." These cats were guarded no less carefully than the members of the royal family and especially appreciated. One fact is even known when the ruler of Siam, Rama V Chulalongkorn, who was not only an ardent admirer of these cats, but eight extraordinary pets of the Kao Mani breed lived in his royal palace. And his son and daughter were engaged in their breeding, bringing the number of "royal cats" to 40 pieces.
With the arrival of the end of the 19th century, when representatives of French Indochina and the British Empire began to strive to Siam, as well as His Majesty Rama V himself maintained almost friendly relations with the monarch of the Russian State Nicholas II, the ruler of Siam decided to trick all the conflicts. Chulalongkorn V made a "royal gift" by presenting a couple of his pets to the consul of the British Empire. However, these cats were not individuals of the Kao Mani breed, but simple Siamese old-type cats with a seal point coat color. After the consul returned to his homeland, the cats brought by him were called "Royal Siam". Understandably, the animal that no one saw immediately made a splash, and the gesture of the ruler known as the Royal Buddha and the Great Beloved King of Siam strengthened the relationship between Siam and the British Empire. Apparently, it was such tricks that saved Siam from colonization and also kept the "royal cat" from spreading.
It is curious that after this incident, Siamese cats of the old format for a long time were considered the only breed belonging to the royal family. But in reality it was not like that. Cats of the Kao Mani breed were considered the owners of "royal status", and the "Siamese", due to the large number of their population in Thailand, acquired the value of the state property and the "visiting card" of the state.
For the first time, these rare Kao Mani cats were introduced to the United States at the end of the 20th century, and after that interested breeders and breeders began to strengthen the breed and popularize it. The genetic origins of this species, which stretched over many centuries, are practically impossible to trace, because of this, specialists had to rely only on their experience and instinct.After research, it became known that an old-format Siamese cat may have kittens with a snow-white fur coat and a blue eye color, or with heterochromia, in the case when mating occurred with a simple domestic mongrel cat. Such experimental robots lasted until 2001.
Description of the appearance of cats kao mani
The constitution of this species is average. In height, such animals reach 25-30 cm, while the muscular body of the male can weigh 3, 6-5 kg, and cats only 2, 5-3, 6 kg.
- Head in a cat of the Kao Mani breed, it is wedge-shaped, the length is moderate of medium width. The outlines of the cheekbones are high and rounded, the cheeks look tight, not too pronounced. When the male reaches a respectable age, it is allowed that his cheeks become full. If we compare the pads with the proportions of the muzzle, they look enlarged. The chin is broad and strong, with a slight depression. The stop is smooth, the outlines of the bridge of the nose are wide, this part has a bulge. The frontal area is wide and flat.
- Eyes in individuals of khao mani almond-shaped, their size is large, they are located at an average distance from each other. The color can be either blue or with heterochromia. Usually, if such a property is inherent in an animal, then one eye has a blue tint, the second with a yellow tint, occasionally cats with green or gray are found. Representatives of the breed carry their name "diamond eye" due to the fact that in the light of day their eyes are distinguished by a "night gleam".
- Ears Royal cats from Thailand are medium to large in size, their surface is covered with short hairs, the ears are located wide and exactly vertical.
- Body in cats, the kao mani has an elongated outline, strong and is more muscular than that of the "brothers from the East". The contours of the chest are wide and deep, the pelvis of the animal is rounded, the back is kept straight.
- Limbs have a strong and muscular shape, their length is medium. This is what distinguishes the Kao Mani cats from other representatives of the eastern cat species. The paw pads are of an even pink tone, without any spotting.
- Tail characterized by proportionality and strength, very agile.
- Wool in individuals of khao mani, it is short and dense, soft to the touch. The undercoat may be absent or poorly developed. The color of the hairs is pure white, any shade or plaque is unacceptable.
Important! In kittens that are just born, a small speck may appear on the head, which disappears over time. This happens around the time the pet reaches the age of one.
Character of a cat of the kao mani breed
Representatives of this species are distinguished by intelligence and are quite curious. They love outdoor games and attention to their person. Also, the owners of cats kao mani note that the pet loves to "talk" and follow the chosen household right on the heels. These animals show friendliness even to strangers who have visited your home. They can safely share their home with other pets. They are very patient with children, as they spend a lot of time with them playing, even if the child accidentally inflicted pain, the claws will almost never be released, So this animal is perfect for those people who have never had a cat.
However, it is worth noting that kao mani cats are quite social, they simply cannot live without the company of other representatives of the feline world. So, if there are no other cats in the house, then having got an individual of the Hao Mani breed, you will have to buy him a friend, or better, when a pair of kittens of this type is acquired. Otherwise, both manifestations of aggression and destructive behavior and depression are possible.
Cat health kao mani
Animals of this breed live on average from 10 to 12 years. However, like many snow-white cats, they can suffer from deafness in one or both ears.At the same time, the percentage of deaf blue-eyed cats can reach 35 units, so the breeder is obliged to submit documents on the health account of the proposed kitten from this side. Due to various programs, the possibility of deafness is reduced, since cats without this defect are involved in selection. However, it is not uncommon for representatives with white ears and ear cancer.
The rest of the cats of the Kao Mani breed are distinguished by their endurance and excellent health, but all the same, the owners need to carry out work on vaccination and driving out both external and internal parasites. These drugs can be febtal, drontal, azinox plus or dronzi, you can take similar ones with the same effective composition.
Also, to maintain health, it is necessary to carry out comprehensive measures for 1-3 months twice a year, when the animal's body is weakening (in autumn and spring). Some of the best vitamins are Anivital Feliimmun or Beafar Top 10, which can be given to the animal on its own without the appointment of a veterinarian.
AttentionMore harm to the animal will not bring vitamin deficiency, but an overdose of vitamin means. The dosage should not be exceeded even with the best intentions. Since cats with white hair are characterized by negative reactions to ultraviolet light, it is recommended to often inspect in those places that are not too densely covered with hairs - around the ears and muzzle.
Tips for caring for your cat kao mani
- Wool. In order to remove dying hairs, a soft massage brush for animals is used. If you do not want all the furniture in the house and clothes to be covered with snow-white cat hairs, it is recommended to comb the hao mani cat every day. However, it must be remembered that due to the snow-white color, such animals will have to be bathed more often than other representatives of the feline world. Since the pet is expensive, it is not worth saving on care products. It is important to select quality products from renowned worldwide manufacturers. For example, Perfect Coat Shed Control & Hairball "manufacturer" 8 in 1 "or" Gentle "from Agrovetsischita. Both products will help prevent excessive shedding, foam easily and will not irritate the animal's skin. They bathe ordinary cats once every 3 months, but here you will have to work more often, especially if your pet kao mani goes out for a walk in the fresh air. After bathing, the cat is blotted with a towel, it is not recommended to use a hair dryer, as the skin dries out and dandruff can be triggered. During the drying period, the animal must be protected from the effects of a draft.
- Teeth. Since kao mani cats are the heirs of the Siamese, they may have problems with their teeth and mouth. To do this, you need to teach a kitten from childhood to such a not very pleasant procedure as brushing your teeth. The owner wraps a piece of soft cloth or bandage with a small amount of toothpaste on his finger and gently cleans. Good remedies for this are products from Beaphar, Trixie or Hartz "Denta Shield".
- Eyes. Like all cats, these "royal jewels" from Thailand need to have their eyes cleaned from time to time. Clean cotton pads are used, on which they are soaked in special products designed for cleaning the eyes. They can be Cliny C lotion (it contains silver ions) or SaniPet spray lotion. In principle, you can do with improvised means, such as strong tea leaves or chamomile decoction. Without strong pressure with the discs, rub the eye from the outer corner to the inner corner. A separate cotton pad is used for each eye. If you notice that there is any discharge other than crusts of a light brown color, the pet needs to be shown to the veterinarian.
- Ears. In order not to damage the eardrum of the ear of your kao mani cat, it is better to use ear sticks designed for babies who have restraints. You should soak the device in ear cleaner.Among these are "AVZ Bars", "Cliny" or similar drugs.
- Claws. Since the representatives of the hao mani breed, the claws grow rather slowly, it is not worth cutting them off, it is quite enough to teach the pet to use a scratching post. It is recommended to choose such devices in the form of a column covered with a special rope or fabric. You can simply find a piece of a tree trunk and set it up in the room, and then show the cat how to use it. To do this, set the cat's front legs on a scratching post, and nature itself helps to figure out what's what. If this does not happen, there are special drops that serve to attract the cat to such a necessary thing. You can use a few drops of valerian infusion.
- General recommendations. In order for the animal to be comfortable, they immediately pick up a tray with high sides. Anyone can buy the filler, taking into account their preferences. So that the pet does not get bored in the absence of the owner, at least three toys are bought for him, but you can also build a structure of thick branches or shelves on which the cat will climb, and occupy himself in your absence. If the kao mani cat began to play naughty: spoil furniture or wallpaper, go to the toilet past the tray or gnaw on wires, then citrus drops are used, which serve as a deterrent. Or you can buy special drugs in veterinary stores, for example, Stop-Zone or Sani Pet Spray.
- Nutrition. For Hao Mani cats, experts recommend choosing foods from the super premium line, for example, Arden Grange, 1st Choice or similar foods. But it is noticed that these animals can adapt to any diet, but only it will be well balanced and nutritious. Then it is necessary to use mineral and vitamin complexes, as they may not be enough in unprofessionally prepared food. However, you should limit those products that directly affect the color of the coat: liver, beets, buckwheat, carrots and the like.
It is also important to remember that some foods that do not meet the quality can provoke allergies, which cats with white coat are more susceptible to than others. Because of this, there is an abundant release of tears, after which bacteria quickly appear and only then conjunctivitis. At the same time, the beautiful color of the fur on the muzzle completely changes, since it will be constantly moistened with the tears of the animal.
Curious facts about kao m ani
It happens that you can hear or read, they say, found on the street a kitten kao mani, especially the owner of blue eyes or different colors and did not even suspect what an expensive pet they got. According to 2015, breeders who breed pets of this breed are found only in some US states, in French or Slovenian lands, or in Thailand itself, and only one of the UK breeders began to breed hao mani. Therefore, one should not think that such a rare animal could "stray" somewhere in the outback or in other cities. There are many cats with white hair color and blue or multi-colored eyes on the planet, and their number can go to hundreds of thousands. Therefore, ordinary people who are not too versed in the intricacies of this variety, and confuse the Diamond Eye cat with any other similar.
The main difference between kao mani individuals is that their eyes have a very unusual gleam in the daylight. There are also features in the genetic structure that completely determines this species. It is important to note that in Thailand cats of the Hao Mani breed are on the verge of extinction and their number barely reaches hundreds of specimens, and most of the high-quality individuals have already mixed with their “street relatives”.
Price of kao mani kittens
Representatives of this species are among the most expensive. Animals with different eye colors are especially valuable, since there is a belief that they bring good luck with them.The price for a pedigree kitten can reach 700,000 rubles, and the minimum cost varies in the range of 90,000-100,000 rubles.