The standard of the appearance of the Tonkin cat, the peculiarities of the tonkinesis temperament, the health of the cat, the rules of care: hygiene of the coat, eyes, ears and mouth, catering and so on, the price of a kitten. Color is, perhaps, the main feature of the breed, it is at the sight of the color that all the exclusivity and thoroughbredness of this pet becomes clear. According to the decision of the commission of such organizations as WCF and CFA, only four main colors of Tonkinese cats have been established, any others do not correspond to the breed standard:
- Natural mink color - this color means that the basic color of the cat is either nutty, or all warm shades of brown, but the marks on the face, tail and legs are already painted in darker varieties of brown, for example, in chocolate.
- Platinum mink - in this version of the color, the main tone is a light gray tint, the secondary color, which traces some areas on the body of the Tonkin cat, is grayish blue.
- Blue mink, already from the very name of the color, it can be concluded that the main tone of the coat of the Tonkin seals is blue, while the gray-blue ones are swept away.
- Champagne - this color variant of tonkinesis is very beautiful, the main color is a cross between such delicate and warm shades as beige and champagne. Inclusions of the secondary color are colored light brown.
In addition to these main and officially recognized colors of Tonkin cats, individuals with such color variations as fawn, cinnamon, red and beige are quite common. Animals with the above colors, according to international felinological organizations, are considered disqualified according to the breed standard, however, among lovers of the feline world, it is these purrs with these unrecognized colors that are especially popular and in demand.
Features of the character of the Tonkin cat
Representatives of this breed are distinguished by complaisance, openness, they are inclined, literally in a matter of minutes, to become attached to their master, so much so that he will not be able to step into the house without a faithful fluffy companion. This point is very important to take into account from the earliest childhood of a kitten and take some measures to train and educate your pet. If you simply do not pay attention to the fact that your pet is following you, then you risk soon observing an adult cat climbing on your head, and he will do this even in order to watch you wash the dishes.
Tonkinese has one distinguishing feature - they are very smart and quick-witted, while they are able not only to remember their nickname and intonation of your voice, but also your facial expression in a given situation. So the best remedy for the excessive persistence and obsession of the cat will be your strict, even slightly offended facial expression in conjunction with the educational intonation of the voice. But do not overdo it with upbringing, you can not shout at these animals, and even more so use force in relation to them, since you risk losing the trust of your friend and instilling resentment and disappointment in his fragile and vulnerable soul.
These amazing pets are not recommended for people with a too busy and active lifestyle, tonkinesis are cats that cannot stand loneliness, they will not entertain themselves, being alone at home, they will most likely yearn in some secluded corner.If you dreamed of this breed, but are absent a lot, then it is better to start two cats at once, because it is much more fun together.
Seals of the Tonkin breed are very sociable and if you have been absent for a long time, then be prepared for a long and expressive story from your furry. He will tell you about how his day went and how much he missed him. Tonkin cats inherited the voice and its sound from their quieter ancestors - from Burmese cats, therefore, no matter how much your pet “speaks”, its meowing will not be annoying, since it is not loud and rather cute in sound.
Tonkin cat health
By and large, Tonkinese have fairly good health and very stable body defenses, but since they are genetically similar to Siamese cats, they have many health problems in common.
The most vulnerable in the Tonkin cat is the respiratory system. In veterinary practice, there are two diseases to which the descendants of the Siamese are most prone.
- Calicivirus. Clinically, this disease is manifested by abundant discharge from the nasal cavity of a mucous nature, general malaise of the animal, the formation of erosions and ulcers around the voice, nose and mouth. In some individuals, aching pains in the projection of the eyes and mouth are noted. With adequate treatment, the duration of the disease does not exceed 7-10 days.
- Feline rhinotracheitis. This pathology along the course is much longer, the duration of the disease varies from two weeks to a month, even with the most qualified treatment. The main symptoms are profuse salivation and frequent sneezing, while the general weakness of the cat, as a rule, is felt only for the first few days.
- Mental disorders. If you mishandle your tonkinesis pet, namely, if you lack attention on your part to your pet, the animal may simply become depressed, which may manifest itself as obsessive-compulsive personality disorder. The most common symptom of this disease is that the animal pathologically licks its fur and does it on the same parts of the body, to the extent that bald patches appear in these places, visible to the naked eye.
- Violation of vestibular function. This pathological condition is of a genetic nature and it is impossible to somehow influence or prevent its manifestation. The main symptom of the disease is an imbalance of the animal, with a mild degree of the disease, you may notice that your pet's head is periodically in an unusually tilted position, in more severe cases, the Tonkinese cat may visibly stagger when moving. Symptoms usually appear in periods and go away on their own over several days. In the event that the disease has taken a longer course, you should consult a doctor.
To a greater extent, the health of your Tonkin cat depends on you, proper balanced nutrition, timely vaccinations, hygiene and proper attention, and your furry is healthy and happy and will delight you for many years. Tonkinesis is one of the feline centenarians, the average life expectancy is twenty years, sometimes even more.
Caring for a Tonkin cat at home
As for caring for a representative of this breed, we can say that there are practically no problems with him. Tonkin cats are very neat and tidy, without a twinge of conscience they can be called champions in personal hygiene. Most of its free time, the animal will be engaged in caring for itself, so there is practically nothing left for you to do. But there is one "but", due to such cleanliness, your task will be to carefully monitor the cleanliness of the dishes and tray of your pet.If his personal "inventory" seemed to him at least a little not clean, then it is likely that the cat will refuse to eat, and for the toilet will choose a more suitable, and most importantly, clean and pleasantly smelling place.
- Hair care. Due to the fact that Tonkin seals have short hair without additional undercoat, you will practically not have such a problem as “cat hair throughout the apartment”. But it is necessary to comb out dead hairs regularly, although this clean purr is used to doing it on his own, but in the process of caring for himself he can simply fill his stomach with balls of wool, which is fraught with serious problems with the digestive tract. Combing may not be the most favorite procedure for a Tonkin pet, but he will humbly endure all the inconveniences in order to bathe in your attention. And so that the cat was pleasant and comfortable, it is better to use a massage glove for combing out.
- Bathing. Something, but Tonkin cats are not just afraid of water, it terrifies them, so it is better to reduce their meetings to a minimum. If your pet has climbed into some slightly dusty place, do not rush to shove it into the bathroom, this comrade will cope quite well with such petty pollution on its own. But if you went out for a walk in rainy weather and your Tonkinese got dirty in the mud, then he will have to endure bath procedures.
- Ear care. Clearing the earwax from the ear is a must if you don't want your Tonkin cat to have hearing problems or ear health in general. To prevent this from happening, try once a week to thoroughly clean your pet's ears with cotton swabs and specialized products that soften the wax, which will help you do everything faster and better. Do not deep clean, as you can easily injure your kitten's sensitive eardrum.
- Eye care. As for Tonkinese eyes, as a general disinfection, once a week, it is worth wiping them with a cotton pad, having previously soaked it in a tea brew or herbal decoction.
- Diet kitten and adult tonkinesis. If you are lucky enough to become the owner of a very tiny Tonkin kitten, then the question immediately arises: "How to feed him correctly?" In fact, you have two options, either you buy special food for premium or super premium kittens, or you choose your own diet from natural products.
The list of acceptable products for small Tonkinese kittens should include the following:
- Lean meat (chicken, rabbit, beef, or turkey), the meat must be either boiled or frozen, before feeding it must be cut into small pieces so that your little pet has enough strength to swallow it.
- Meat offal, these include the liver, lungs, heart or brains, these "delicacies" for little kittens are a storehouse of vitamins and minerals, but your Tonkinese does not know and does not understand, so he can easily turn his nose at them. In this case, it is better to offer each product separately, let the kitten independently choose what he likes best. It is also better to pre-boil this food and pass it through a meat grinder, but not through the smallest nozzle.
- Vegetables and fruits You can, both raw and boiled, but you should be careful with foods with a high fiber content, since the digestive tract of the representatives of this breed is already so badly controlled with it, what can we say about the kid of the Tonkin breed.
- A fish Boiled and pre-stoned, Tonkin cats usually like it very much, but it should be offered to your pet no more than twice a week.
- Dairy products and fermented milk products low in fat.
- Chicken eggs. In a boiled form, the kitten can only eat the yolk.
The frequency of feeding a little Tonkinese depends on its age, so from 2 to 4 months the pet should be fed approximately 5-6 times a day. The total mass of food should not be less than 150-160 grams. Kittens from 4 to 6 months should eat about 4 times a day, it is recommended to increase the volume of portions by a few grams every week. Animals that are six months old switch to 3 meals a day, and closer to the age of one year, the cat should be fed 2 times a day, the portion volume is corresponding to an adult.
The diet of an adult Tonkin cat is practically no different from a kitten, to these products it is worth adding more porridge (oatmeal, corn, rice or barley), as well as increasing single portions.
Purchase and price of a Tonkinese cat
The average cost of a Tonkin cat is from 35,000 to 50,000 rubles, this difference between the initial and the highest price is due to different pedigrees of pets, as well as some features of appearance.
More about the breed in the following video: