Sloped ceiling in living quarters, inclined plane finishes, design tips. A sloped ceiling is part or all of the slab surface that is inclined with respect to the floor. Its presence is inherent to a greater extent in attics, which dictates some rules for interior decoration. The article will discuss the options for finishing the sloped ceiling.
Sloped ceiling finishes
Both for finishing the horizontal ceiling and for decorating its beveled part, various methods and materials are used. You can decorate a sloped ceiling using plaster, wallpaper, paint, drywall, you can install a stretch ceiling or upholster it with a board. Let's take a closer look at the most common options.
Glass ceiling-roof on a sloped surface
If the building has not yet been built, then the creation of a fully or partially glass ceiling can be included in the design of a room with a sloping roof. To do this, it is better to use the most durable double-glazed windows and supports that will withstand the effects of natural phenomena.
It is possible to create a continuous window instead of a ceiling in the already constructed building, if there is no prohibition justified by the structural features of the building. In this case, you will have to dismantle the old roof, install new supports and double-glazed windows.
Basic requirements for materials for a glass sloping roof:
- Double-glazed windows must have parameters that ensure safety during operation, maintenance and repair, high light transmission, reduced heat loss in cold months and protection against overheating of premises in summer. A fairly common option: tempered outer glass, the inner part consists of two glasses glued together with a transparent elastic film (the so-called triplex).
- It is desirable to have gas hatches, the control of which is regulated by an automatic or mechanical drive.
- For the frame, the base of the entire glass structure, you can use steel or aluminum profiles. The steel profile is strong enough to be used for large glass roofs, but at the same time it is heavy and easily corroded. The aluminum profile is lighter, strong enough, but cannot provide heat retention in the cold season, because has a high thermal conductivity.
A photo of a sloped glass ceiling allows you to appreciate the advantages of this option. The transparent ceiling surface allows you to enjoy the beauty of the sky, enrich the room with natural lighting, because the inclined plane catches the sun's rays better. This option, of course, is perfect for a kitchen, veranda, home greenhouse.
A sloped glass roof has advantages over a horizontal structure: melted snow and rainwater flow down, without creating additional moisture and shade in the room.
However, the glass roof-ceiling is difficult to maintain, because the glass becomes contaminated with precipitation and dust, which disturbs the appearance of the ceiling and reduces light transmission.
Slant ceiling stretch fabric
Installation of a stretch ceiling on a sloped ceiling makes it possible to change the room beyond recognition. Many firms offer the creation of complex structures with tension material. This can be a multi-level system or arched vaults, allowing you to beat any ceiling surface.
The design features of attic ceilings, the presence of surface bends significantly complicate the installation of stretch canvases, so it is better to resort to the help of professionals.
For a room with a sloped ceiling, a stretch ceiling with clouds, the seabed, any unobtrusive patterns or any other images that satisfy the preferences of the owner of the room will be appropriate.
Tensioned sloped ceiling lighting is the perfect tandem for incredible surface designs. With such a finish, there is no need to make additional window openings, because the use of low-cost lighting fixtures placed under a fabric or stretch ceiling film will allow you to supplement natural light sources even during the day.
Wooden materials for finishing a sloped ceiling
The most popular option for finishing the beveled part of the ceiling in the attic is wooden materials. The sloping part is often trimmed with wood panels (clapboard), preserving the natural color of the wood. However, over time, the surface has to be repaired, and in order to change the design of the sloped ceiling, many people prefer painting it in other colors. In low light conditions, it is better to use white, beige tones.
When installing wooden beams, adhere to the following guidelines:
- The distance between parallel beams should not be small, so as not to overload the interior with rough elements, making the overall appearance of the ceiling heavier.
- Use dark paint on the beams to match the transition from the ceiling to the wall. The use of the same colors is encouraged when painting individual decorative elements in the room, for example, mirror frames, floor.
- The rest of the surface is finished in light colors to create a modern contrast.
Sheathing of a sloped ceiling with plasterboard
If necessary, the horizontal ceiling can be converted to an inclined one, for example, by installing a gypsum board. To do this, follow these steps:
- Decide on the location of the slope, its angle in relation to the walls and ceiling.
- Install the frame around the perimeter of the surface to be treated and intermediate profiles.
- Cut the gypsum board and screw the resulting pieces to the frame.
- Fill joints between sheets and adjacent surfaces.
- Treat with primer and topcoat.
A sloped plasterboard ceiling can be completed with a fine finish using a variety of materials, such as paint or wallpaper.
By installing the gypsum board, you can easily hide the beams and any flaw, level the surface. An alternative to drywall is the use of plastic panels, which can also mimic the surface of wood.
Tips for finishing beveled ceiling surfaces
Various factors influence the choice of one or another finishing option for beveled ceilings, for example, the budget for the renovation, the style features of the room, the purpose of the room, the total area of the inclined part, the angle of inclination, the location in the room.
Several recommendations for decorating a sloped ceiling:
- To reduce the cost of repairs, use drywall or plaster, paint, wallpaper as a finishing material. More expensive options are glass, stretch fabrics.
- The lack of natural light in the attic rooms is compensated by the use of light colors in the ceiling decoration.
- A sloped ceiling can be suitable for almost any room (bedroom, children's room, bathroom, kitchen, veranda, home gym).
- Any imperfections on the chamfered ceiling will be more noticeable than on the main horizontal surface. Therefore, it is worth choosing the finishing option that will hide the existing irregularities as much as possible.
- If there are few sources of natural light in the room, then an additional window opening can be made in the sloped part of the ceiling, which will not only add light, but also allow you to admire the beauty of the sky. The sloped ceiling itself significantly cuts the room space, but the presence of a window in it, on the contrary, visually expands it.
- The space under the sloped ceiling is often difficult to make functional, especially if the angle of inclination in relation to the floor tends to be from 45 to 75 degrees, while the height of the adjacent wall is significantly reduced compared to the total height of the room. In such cases, you can resort to creating a design composition. For example, using paints, wallpaper or decorative bricks, you can create a false fireplace, imitating a chimney from an inclined part of the ceiling. Moreover, if this wall is wide enough, it is better to trim the rest of it in light colors in order to visually move it away in comparison with the "chimney". Another option is an image of an aquarium or the seabed.
- If the difference between the horizontal and beveled part of the ceiling is small, then it is possible to hide the presence of a slope using a plasterboard or tension structure, reducing the height of the room to the height of the inclined part, thereby making an ordinary room.
Beveled ceiling finishing options for rooms for different purposes
Consider how to arrange a sloped ceiling in rooms for different purposes:
- Attic… For the attic, design in a cottage or industrial style is suitable. For this purpose, the sloped part of the ceiling is decorated with wooden or metal beams, respectively.
- Living room… The classic style is best suited for living rooms, although rooms with a sloping roof are rarely used in this capacity. Restrained colors will help to create the proper style. Stucco molding without textured excesses will add sophistication to the room.
- Children's room… This option gives you more creative freedom. For example, against a wall with a sloping ceiling, you can arrange an area for sports. To do this, the walls and ceiling are sewn up with plasterboard, then a Swedish wall is fixed in such a format that its upper part repeats the shape of the transition from the plane of the wall to the plane of the ceiling. Or, if the angle of inclination of the surface allows, you can arrange a work area under a sloped roof by placing a desk and installing lamps in the ceiling that provide enough light.
- Bedroom… A great way to add practicality and comfort to the bedroom is to use tension structures, wood panels to match the furniture. The sloped ceiling can be combined with the wall with the same finishing material to highlight a separate area of the room, for example, the bed area.
- Bathroom… The bathroom does not require much space to fulfill its main purpose, so its location in a small attic room is an excellent option. In addition, if the sloped ceiling is equipped with additional windows, then the adoption of relaxing water procedures will be more effective. At the same time, there is no need to pile up the surface around the windows on an inclined surface with saturated patterns. Do not use poorly processed wood materials, drywall, in order to avoid the harmful effects of moisture on them.
- Home gym… Don't get carried away with vibrant colors to create a sporty setting. Use a minimalist style, for example, treat the beveled section of the ceiling along with the adjacent wall with plaster, wood, materials that imitate brick.
- Billiard room… The use of rough wooden beams on the ceiling, painted in dark colors, adds a special atmosphere to such rooms. This finish creates a contrast with the overall interior of the room.
- Wardrobe… For finishing the sloped ceiling of such a functional room, it is better to use plastic panels, wallpaper and other inexpensive finishing materials. Often it makes no sense to spend money on inexpensive stretch ceilings for decorating an auxiliary room.
How to make a sloped ceiling - watch the video:
Of all the existing materials for finishing a sloped ceiling, the most budgetary are wallpaper, plaster, drywall, paint, plastic panels. The most expensive are glass and stretch ceilings.