You can quickly, simply and cheaply finish the ceiling by whitening it. For the result to be satisfactory, you need to take into account all the features of the process, starting with the preparation of the solution. The quality of the layer depends on its composition, color intensity and consistency. Whitewashing is a budget and simple finishing option, which, in addition to all its advantages, has a significant drawback - fragility. The whitewash quickly crumbles, fades, loses its aesthetic appearance. In order for the finishing layer to look attractive and last as long as possible, you need to be able not only to correctly apply the whitewash composition, but also to prepare it.
Types of whitewash compositions for the ceiling
Today there are two main types of solution for whitewashing the ceiling:
- Cretaceous… It is hygienic, has a deep whiteness, but crumbles rather quickly.
- Lime… It has bactericidal properties, crumbles less, but it can dry the air in the room and can cause allergies.
Both of these formulations are completely environmentally friendly. When choosing a suitable solution, you should be guided by personal preferences and which one was applied earlier. Whitening with a chalk solution on top of a lime solution or vice versa is undesirable, as bubbles or streaks will appear.
Lime and chalk can be purchased in dry or pasty form. For high-quality whitewashing, you can use both options. Most recipes also include additional ingredients.
Preparation of a chalky solution for whitewashing the ceiling
There are several recipes for preparing this composition. In addition to the traditional ingredients, you can add different colors to add the desired shade to the ceiling.
Concentrated dry chalk solution for ceiling
Before you dilute the chalk to whitewash the ceiling, you need to stock up on laundry soap, wood glue, ultramarine or color scheme.
We adhere to the following instructions:
- Sift 3 kg of dry chalk powder and pour into a container.
- Pour 3-3.5 liters of warm water.
- Add 50 grams of laundry soap shavings and 100 grams of wood glue.
- Dilute ultramarine in a separate vessel with warm water.
- When you get a shade of the desired intensity, pour the blue into the solution.
- Thoroughly mix all the ingredients until a uniform shade and filter through double gauze or nylon.
You can check if the consistency is suitable by dipping a knife. If the white drips off the blade, there is excess water. In this case, the mixture can be left for several days. During this time, the chalk will settle to the bottom, and the water will be on top, and it can be removed with a scoop.
The consumption of this solution is 0.5 liters per 1 m2.
White dry chalk for ceiling
This composition will be enough for whitewashing 20 m2 ceiling.
We cook it in this order:
- We heat 10 liters of water to a temperature of + 40-45 degrees.
- Dissolve 120 grams of wood glue and 150 grams of laundry soap shavings in it.
- Mix thoroughly and add 6 kg of dry chalk, which had to be sieved beforehand.
- We add water, bringing the composition to a volume of 20 liters.
- Dilute ultramarine with water in a separate vessel.
- Add blue to the solution to avoid yellowing the layer.
Do not forget that after preparing the composition, it is recommended to strain it. In this case, it will be homogeneous and easily lay on the surface.
Composition of chalk paste for whitewashing the ceiling
To make a solution of pasty chalk for whitewashing the ceiling, you will need CMC wallpaper glue. We carry out the work in the following sequence: dissolve the glue in warm water so that a 1.5% solution is obtained, mix the glue mixture with chalk paste in a ratio of 4 to 1. This composition does not need to be filtered, it is immediately ready for use.
Preparation of lime mortar for whitewashing the ceiling
Lime for whitewashing the ceiling, like chalk, is sold dry or already slaked. Dry lime, depending on the slaking speed, is of three types: quick-quenching - 10 minutes, medium-quenching - 20 minutes, slow-quenching - more than half an hour. The slower the lime is extinguished, the smaller portions you need to add water. The composition for whitewashing the ceiling is prepared from slaked lime. If you only have dry, then you can repay it at home.
Lime slaking technology for whitewashing the ceiling
To carry out this procedure at home, you must first put on safety glasses, a respirator and work clothes.
We carry out work in this order:
- Pour lime into a metal container without rust.
- Pour cold water in a ratio of one to two.
- Stir lime and dilute with water to the required viscosity.
- We leave to stand for several days.
During the process, it is very important not to lean over a container with slaking lime, as very caustic steam is released.
Lime and aluminum alum solution for ceiling
To dilute properly slaked lime, we need salt, a dye (you can use ultramarine), 200 grams of aluminum alum.
Cooking in the following sequence:
- We dilute 3 kg of slaked lime in 1 liter of water and mix until smooth.
- Soak 100 grams of salt in a separate bowl.
- Add 200 grams of aluminum alum and soaked salt to the solution.
- Mix all the ingredients thoroughly and pour in 0.5 kg of dye.
- We bring the composition to a volume of 10 liters with warm water.
So that no streaks remain during lime whitewashing, it is recommended to pre-wet the coating with water.
Composition of slaked lime and glue for whitewashing the ceiling
To prepare this solution, you will need slaked lime, laundry soap, wood glue, ultramarine, table salt.
We dilute the mixture in this order:
- Dissolve 6 kg of slaked lime in 8 liters of water.
- Add 100 grams of laundry soap shavings.
- Separately dilute 200 grams of wood glue in water and dilute with a common solution.
- Mix the composition thoroughly and add ultramarine until a shade of the desired intensity is obtained.
- Add 200 grams of ordinary kitchen salt, which we dilute in water beforehand. This will make the mixture more stable.
Color whitewashing can be done by adding special dyes with a high level of alkali resistance. To do this, they must initially be diluted in water and poured in liquid form. Please note that after drying, the shade will become lighter in several tones.
Waterproof lime whitewash solution for ceiling
This mixture can be made from slaked lime, water, drying oil and salt in the following sequence:
- We dilute 400 grams of lime in 0.6 liters of warm water.
- Add 1/3 tbsp to the composition. tablespoons of drying oil and the same amount of kitchen salt.
- Stir the solution thoroughly until a uniform consistency and shade is obtained.
- We filter the composition to remove excess lumps. The consistency of lime white should be like thick milk. Whitewashing with such a mixture will last for a long time and have a high moisture resistance.
How to extinguish lime to whitewash the ceiling - watch the video:
Lime and chalk solutions for whitewashing have their own characteristics. However, in order for any finishing layer to be qualitatively and evenly adhered to the surface, you need to understand the main issue - how to dilute lime to whitewash the ceiling or chalk. Our recommendations will help you choose the best method.From the proposed methods, you can choose the one that is most suitable for finishing the desired surface.