Appointment of fans for the bathroom and the principle of their operation, types of equipment. The best models for the bathroom, their prices. Bathroom fan installation technology.
A bathroom fan is a small electric appliance with blades for removing steam, gases, dust, etc. from an apartment with insufficient natural circulation. Designed for use in humid rooms and has a special shape for installation in ventilation ducts. We will talk about the device of such hoods and the technology of their installation in our article.
Design and types of bathroom fan
Pictured is a fan in the bathroom
The main sign of a good bathroom is the absence of constant dampness and an unpleasant odor. The increased moisture content leads to the appearance of dirty spots on the walls, the rapid growth of fungus, the loss of facing tiles, etc. To ventilate the bathroom, vents are provided in high-rise buildings - horizontal and vertical channels in the walls of the building. They function due to the temperature difference inside and outside the building. However, natural ventilation is not always effective.
In summer, the temperature difference is minimal, so the state of the bathroom practically does not change. In older buildings, vents are often clogged and do not work. In this case, the room is forcibly ventilated with fans for exhaust hoods in the bathroom, installed in the exhaust ducts.
A classic bathroom fan is assembled from an electric motor and a roller with blades. Its purpose is to drain vapors into an outlet. The main differences of the device from other similar products are the shape, which allows its installation in standard vents, and increased safety requirements.
Bathroom fans are installed in vents with dimensions of 105, 125 and 160 mm, but there are also non-standard products. The casing is made in a waterproof version, usually of plastic, the protection class is at least IP 24. In most cases it is painted white, but there are quite a few modifications with both colors and decorative elements.
There are two main classifications of bathroom fans - by design and method of installation (installation). Feature separation helps you select the best device for your situation.
Fan classification according to the principle of operation:
- Axial fan for bathroom… This is an electric motor of small dimensions, to the shaft of which the impeller is fixed. To increase the effect, a grate is installed in front of the blades. The products are intended for small rooms in which there are ventilation ducts up to 2 m long. The models are popular due to their affordable price and high performance: they are able to move 100 m3 in 1 hour. They are installed in vents, which makes installation very simple. The disadvantages of the product are low pressure, loud noise during operation (30-35 dB), reverse air flows, sometimes appearing in the duct.
- Radial bathroom fan… It is a product with a powerful motor for moving air over long distances. The working tool is made in the form of a barrel with blades and is placed in a spiral body. The blades are parallel to the channel axis. During operation, they capture air and throw it towards the body. It enters the spiral chamber, contracts and travels to the outlet. There are various modifications of such devices. Samples with backward-curved blades are more economical, their productivity is higher. The hood with forward-tilted blades is characterized by a lower speed, small dimensions and quiet operation.
- Centrifugal fan for bathroom… Such devices are used for large rooms (more than 15 m3), so their motors are very powerful. In the private sector, their use is impractical.
Depending on the method of fastening, the hoods are divided into wall, ceiling, wall-ceiling, duct and roof. A wide variety allows the user to choose the best bathroom fan for a specific case.
The first three types of devices are installed at the beginning of the vents.
The duct type fan is mounted in the duct break. This method is used if there is one outlet, but there are several rooms. The product is usually installed in boxes hidden behind a plasterboard suspended ceiling. They are placed in the attic, which facilitates installation and maintenance. This model has a number of disadvantages: complicated installation, it is inconvenient to maintain it during preventive maintenance, in multi-storey buildings it is necessary to obtain permission to work with them. Users should be aware that when the hood is operated in the depth of the vent, aerodynamic losses can occur, leading to a weakening of the draft. To compensate for the decrease in pressure, high power models will be needed. Duct type fans are used if there is no other way to ventilate the bathroom.
The roof fan for the bathroom is installed on the roof of the building. It is a complex device, which, in addition to the hood, includes a drive, gaskets to reduce vibration and automation devices. The working tool in the unit is radial or axial products with a large number of blades.
Bathroom Fan Specifications
In building stores you will be offered a large number of bathroom hoods. In order not to be mistaken with a purchase, pay attention to the main characteristics of the product: performance, noise level and degree of moisture resistance. Equally important is the ability to customize the model for specific working conditions. Recommendations on how to choose a bathroom fan are given below.
Bathroom fan performance
The performance of the device is equal to the frequency of air exchange in the bathroom and should not go beyond the value in sanitary standards. The multiplicity is affected by the number of users of the room: the more there are, the greater the multiplicity. For a family of 4, this value is 8, for a small family - 6-7.
As an example, let us determine the performance of a fan installed in a bathroom with dimensions of 2, 5x2, 5x3 m, which is used by 4 people. The volume of the room is V = 18, 75 ~ 19 m3… For an eightfold volume, we get the minimum performance: 15x8 = 120 m3/hour. It is not recommended to choose very powerful models due to unjustified excessive consumption of electricity.
The performance depends on the size of the bathroom fan. The larger the flow area, the more vapors are removed from the apartment. On the other hand, venting a large amount of warm air can cool the room down a lot. In a private house, intensive ventilation will lead to overspending of the energy carrier. To take into account all the subtleties, calculate the ventilation of the whole house, determine the dimensions of the channels and select the hood from it. In multi-storey buildings, all calculations were performed at the design stage, so the products are selected by the size of the duct.
Bathroom fan noise level
The permissible noise level for a fan depends on the time of day when it is running. For daytime use, a noise of 30-35 dB is allowed, which is practically inaudible against the background of other sounds. For evening use, it is better to buy a silent bathroom fan with an indicator of 20-25 dB. With these characteristics, the device cannot be heard at arm's length. Radial specimens work quieter than axial specimens, because they do not have vibration from the electric motor.
The quietness of the bathroom fan is ensured in various ways:
- Installing rubber gaskets between the engine and the product casing. They absorb vibration from a running motor and do not transmit it to the housing.
- By thickening the walls of the fan housing. To reduce noise, they are made of thick ABS plastic with good sound-absorbing properties. In addition, it increases the strength of the hull.
- Using rolling bearings. High precision bearings ensure almost silent operation of the device - up to 20 dB. This is due to the protective coating of the balls and modern lubricants, the absence of beating of the moving parts and the smooth running of all rotating parts.
- Silent operation of bathroom fans is ensured by high precision manufacturing of elements (within 0.01 mm), so there are no distortions and weak points in the design, which usually become sources of unpleasant sounds.
- The noise level during operation of the hood can increase the air duct, and metal products are louder than plastic ones. To prevent air movement from being heard, glue the metal box with soundproofing material. Second option: sew the duct into the box, and fill the gaps between the walls with insulating material. For such purposes, mineral fiber slabs are suitable. It is convenient to fill the gaps with polyurethane foam, but its soundproofing parameters are very low. Also, foam and polystyrene foam are inferior to fibrous materials.
Bathroom fan power
Hoods are generally low in energy consumption, especially axial ones. They have high efficiency at low power. The rest consume much more, but when moving a large volume of air over long distances, this is justified.
The power of the bathroom fan also depends on various factors - the shape of the impeller, the presence of a bearing, etc.
Safety of exhaust fans in the bathroom
For the product to function safely, it is important to ensure that the electrical parts are properly sealed. The most reliable is a device with an anemostat - a plastic valve installed at the fan inlet. The anemostat creates additional resistance to the flow, which leads to condensation of water vapor. The released liquid is captured by the filter mesh.
Before purchasing, please check the IP rating of the bathroom fan, which must be at least IP34. This indicator means that the electric motor is protected from dust and solid particles of at least 2.5 mm in size, as well as from splashes from all sides.
How to turn on the bathroom fan
The simplest model is triggered by a separate switch, often combined with a light bulb switch. In this case, the product works until the key is pressed again.
Many models have their own on / off switch. Its presence can be identified by the cord coming out of the device. However, this starting option is inconvenient and impractical, therefore, the standard switch is often removed when installing the product.
Bathroom fan functionality
According to the degree of equipment with auxiliary devices, a distinction is made between standard and automatic hoods.
The standard units are the simplest, manually operated axial bathroom fans with a valve. There are no additional devices in their design.
Some models have a non-return valve that prevents outside air and insects from entering the apartment. Check valves are made of plastic in a round shape or in the form of a "butterfly". After stopping the operation of the device, the plates cover the hole.
On inexpensive samples, instead of check valves, louvers are installed, which are opened or closed manually.
Bathroom fans with sensors turn on after various automatic devices that control humidity, temperature, odors, or turn on and off the device at a certain time:
- Timers… All automatic models are equipped with them. The setting range is 2-30 minutes. The device starts up with a light switch, and stops working on its own within a specified period of time, which saves energy.Usually the start-up is delayed so that the user does not feel discomfort from the noise. The timer is often a standard design element, but it can also be purchased separately and connected independently to the product without automation.
- Humidity sensors… They turn on the device if there is a lot of steam in the air. After a drop in humidity, the sensor gives a signal to turn off the hood.
- Hygrostat… It is necessary for a bathroom in a private house, especially in the summer, when fumes are constantly coming from the drain holes. It turns on the product if the air becomes stale.
Best bathroom fans
We suggest that you familiarize yourself with the best bathroom fans that users install for forced dehumidification of the room.
The Silent-100 CZ Design model is designed for bathrooms with sophisticated decorative finishes. The devices have an original appearance, the body can be painted in different colors. Models are sometimes decorated with Swarovski stones.
The fans are equipped with a non-return valve and built-in thermal protection. Insulation class - B. Noise is damped by rubber-metal bushings, so the operation of the product is not audible.
The main parameters of the Silent-200 CZ Design bathroom fans are shown in the table:
|Additional elements||CZ design||CRZ design||CHZ design|
|Timer (up to 30 min)||+||+|
Technical characteristics of Silent-100 CZ Design bathroom fans:
|Specifications||Silent 100 design|
|Rotation frequency, rpm||2400|
|Noise level, dB||26, 5|
|Max. air flow||85|
|Ventilation duct diameter, mm||100|
|Weight, kg||0, 65|
Fans in the bathroom of the Electrolux EAF-100 series are installed in large rooms that are intensively used. Products are capable of pumping 100-300 m3 air per hour. The models in this range have a powerful engine for high productivity.
The hoods have a stylish design and differ from standard hoods. A distinctive feature is the original front panel, which can be changed. The fan is easy to maintain, but it cannot be called silent - the noise level reaches 35 dB.
If you are deciding which bathroom fan is better, pay attention to Electrolux products and their characteristics:
|Dimensions for the ventilation chamber, mm||100||120||150|
The Vents 100 Quiet bathroom fan is a small-sized model for installation in a standard outlet. Differs in economy and reasonable cost.
The motor runs on ball bearings for a long service life. It can be turned on using a timer or other machines that must be purchased separately.
Vents 100 Quiet Bathroom Fan Specifications:
|Options||Vents 100 Quiet|
|Dimensions for the ventilation chamber, mm||100|
|Power, W||7, 5|
The categories of the best bathroom fans are presented in the table:
|Best fan with humidity sensor||Soler & Palau SILENT-100 CHZ||9.8/10|
|Best inexpensive fan||Vents 100 Quiet||9.7/10|
|The best fan for a large bathroom||Electrolux EAF-150||9.8/10|
|Best Quiet Fan||Soler & Palau SILENT-100 CZ||9.7/10|
|Top Design Fans||Electrolux EAFR 100||9.9/10|
|Soler & Palau SILENT-100 DESIGN 3C||9.6/10|
Read on: Features of the manufacture and installation of a ventilation valve for a bath
How to install a fan in the bathroom?
The installation of an exhaust fan for the bathroom is carried out in a certain sequence. First, check the functionality of the standard air outlet. If not, install an outdoor duct to remove fumes outside the room. Next, determine the type and characteristics of the hood specifically for your case and the method of connecting to the mains. At the last stage, install the equipment. The sequence and scope of work when installing a bathroom fan is given below.
Checking the performance of the ventilation chamber
Bathroom fans are usually installed in a wall vent that is connected to a common household ventilation system. It is always made in high-rise buildings to ensure the functioning of ventilation in all apartments. Standard air ducts are capable of passing up to 100 m2 air per hour and have dimensions of 100-150 mm.
Before installing the fan in the bathroom, make sure the vents are clean and do the following:
- Bring the lighted match to the ventilation duct. If the flame turns or goes out, the ducts are in good condition. If there is no flame reaction, they need to be cleaned.
- Provide fresh air from the apartment to the bathroom. The evacuated air must be replaced by a new portion entering through the holes at the bottom of the door. The distance between the door and the ventilation duct should not be small, otherwise the ventilation efficiency will decrease.
- Compare the dimensions of the hood and the vent hole. The diameter of the bathroom fan should be 10-20 mm smaller than the hole. Clearances on the sides are required to secure the device in the working position. If the product is larger than the hole, enlarge it with a punch. If the fan is too small, reduce the opening with a plastic pipe insert. To do this, install it in the hole and fix it with foam. After the foam hardens, cut off the protruding areas and seal them with putty.
Bathroom fan installation instructions
Before connecting the fan to the mains in the bathroom, carefully consider the connection diagram. It will be difficult and troublesome to remake it after installation. The best way to run the cable to the hood is to lay it on the wall under the plaster during construction work. It is allowed to pull the wire along the partition, laying it in special grooves.
The most popular scheme for connecting a fan in a bathroom is connecting the hood to a light switch. This method is the most practical, but it has its drawbacks: the motor often runs when there is no need for ventilation; frequent inclusions reduce its service life; the lamp is always on during operation.
Another simple way to connect the fan to the mains involves connecting it to a separate two-button switch that serves both the hood and the light in the bathroom. The disadvantage of this method is the increase in the length of the power wire and the waste of energy if you forget to turn off the product.
In the case of installing an automated bathroom fan (with humidity sensors or a timer), you must use a wire with three cores: two for the power supply, the third for the signal lamp. With this method, the hood turns on simultaneously with the lighting, and turns off after a configurable time interval. Another setting option is that the device starts only after turning off the lighting.
Work on installing a fan in the bathroom is carried out in the following sequence:
- Remove the front grill from the appliance.
- Check accessibility to electrical terminals.
- Check the presence of the markings L (for the phase conductor) and N (for the neutral conductor) on the terminals.
- Connect the cable to the terminals. When connecting, do not forget about the marking of the wires: blue - zero, red, black or white - phase.
- If the body of the model is made of plastic, there is no need to connect the ground connection, because the material is non-conductive.
- Check if the fan in the bathroom is connected correctly by connecting it to the mains.
- Install the product in the vent and secure in the manner indicated in the supplied instructions.
The wall fan is fixed with special fasteners through the holes in the corners of the housing flange. But this method has a number of disadvantages: it is difficult to drill the ceramic tiles that cover the bathroom walls; you will need a drill and special drills to make a hole; it is difficult to seal the gaps between the housing flange and the wall.
To facilitate the installation process, the bathroom wall fan can be secured with silicone sealant:
- Place the container with the sealant in the special gun.
- Apply the product around the perimeter of the body mounting flange.
- Place the bathroom fan in the vent and press the housing flange against the wall.
- Align the product flanges vertically and horizontally.
- While the sealant hardens, fix it to the wall with tape.
- After 2-3 hours, you can turn on the device.
Bathroom fan installation price
The cost of installing a fan in the bathroom consists of two items: the price of the device and the prices for installation work.
The cost of the device is influenced by the quality of workmanship and its functionality. Good devices are not always expensive, even simple models will last 3-5 years. To make the hood work longer, study the warranty documents, certificates of special commissions for the fan of your choice, view the reviews about them. In most cases, the best are the models of well-known brands, but their cost will be higher than the products of unfamiliar manufacturers.
The price of a bathroom fan with sensors may not be affordable for you: products with extended functionality are 2.5-3 times more expensive than standard ones. For example, high-quality axial and radial hoods cost about 1,500 rubles. The presence of a timer increases the price by $ 15 (the average price of such models is $ 40-45). Upgraded models will cost $ 20-25 more.
The price of the best bathroom fans in Russia:
|Soler & Palau SILENT-100 CHZ||5450-5670|
|Vents 100 Quiet||1740-1800|
|Soler & Palau SILENT-100 CZ||2920-3000|
|Electrolux EAFR 100||3000-3150|
|Soler & Palau SILENT-100 DESIGN 3C||2840-2900|
The price of the best bathroom fans in Ukraine:
|Soler & Palau SILENT-100 CHZ||2620-2700|
|Vents 100 Quiet||780-820|
|Soler & Palau SILENT-100 CZ||1370-1400|
|Electrolux EAFR 100||3000-3150|
|Soler & Palau SILENT-100 DESIGN 3C||2840-2900|
The price of installing a fan in the bathroom depends on the type of product. Installation of wall-mounted appliances is very simple - they are placed in standard holes, so you will have to pay a little. You can mount them yourself.
The work on installation of ceiling and centrifugal models is estimated more expensively, because in this case, it is necessary to modify the air duct. Such installation of a fan in the bathroom is quite complicated, and not every owner will be able to do it on his own.
The cost of installation increases if special machines are connected to the hood - a device for delaying power outages, a humidity sensor, photoelectronics, etc. The more complex the automation, the higher the price will be called by the master.
Price for installation of bathroom fans in Russia:
|Air duct installation (if necessary)||From 220|
|Mounting the casing on the profile of a centrifugal fan||850-890|
|Connecting the centrifugal fan motor to the electrical circuit||430-470|
|Installation and connection of a domestic axial fan||1100-1120|
|Installation and connection of the ceiling fan||2100-2140|
|Control panel connection||720-760|
Price for installation of bathroom fans in Ukraine:
|Air duct installation (if necessary)||From 100|
|Mounting the casing on the profile of a centrifugal fan||390-420|
|Connecting the centrifugal fan motor to the electrical circuit||200-230|
|Installation and connection of a domestic axial fan||530-560|
|Installation and connection of the ceiling fan||900-920|
|Control panel connection||300-330|
How to install a bathroom fan - watch the video:
Removing excess moisture from the bathroom is an important procedure. Although installing a fan is not considered a difficult and cumbersome job and does not require special skill, installation must be done very carefully, and the hood must be chosen for the specific case. This is the only way to make life in an apartment safe and comfortable.