Stretch satin ceilings, their features, differences, scope, installation and maintenance rules. Satin is one of the types of fabrics, its threads are intertwined in a special way. This makes the material thick, smooth and silky. Cloths of stretch satin ceilings are made of materials that imitate this fabric and have all its visual advantages. They have a pleasant texture and soft light reflection. The cost of satin ceilings almost does not differ from the price of their glossy and matte counterparts, made of PVC film and having the same properties. The main manufacturers of canvases with this texture are Germany and France. Russia has two factories in Ivanovo and Kazan.
Features and differences of satin ceiling from glossy and matte
Cloths of satin ceilings combine the properties of film and fabric coverings. Their special processing gives the products a pearlescent hue, a respectable and expensive appearance.
The main feature of satin ceilings is their ability to change shade under different types of lighting:
- With uneven lighting in each of its rays, the shade of the satin ceiling changes with a bizarre play of light on the coating.
- The included sconces or chandeliers make the finish a little lighter.
- Only daylight can determine the true color of a satin ceiling.
- The lenses, which are often equipped with lighting devices, create a picture of twinkling stars on the coating.
- Using the LED strip, you can display high-quality photographic images or hand-painted on satin.
- The direction of the light flux, the power of the lighting and the viewing angle of the satin ceiling have a special effect on the visual perception, creating the illusion of a changing space.
Let's consider in detail how a satin stretch ceiling differs from a matte or glossy finish:
- Unlike stretch matte ceilings, satin canvases have a smooth, almost perfect surface, not very reminiscent of an ordinary whitewash, the characteristic granularity of which is inherent in a matte finish.
- The calm and soft reflection of light distinguishes the satin canvas from the matte ceiling covering, which drowns out these effects.
- In contrast to the gloss of a glossy finish, satin canvas shows only a slight play of light streams on its surface, but does not reflect objects.
Satin fabrics have a special place in the range of stretch ceilings. They can be an excellent choice for those buyers who do not enjoy matte ceilings and the gloss of gloss is also not to their liking.
Advantages and disadvantages of a satin ceiling
The main advantage of a satin stretch ceiling is its beauty and grace. He is able to refine any interior and give the room an aristocratic image. The mother-of-pearl effect surprises with color smooth tints in any kind of lighting.
In addition, the advantages of the ceiling include:
- Aesthetic qualities… They are manifested due to the repetition of the texture of the silky fabric surface by the satin cloth.
- Durability… The service life of products, according to the manufacturers of such ceilings, is 15-20 years.
- Fungus resistance… The surface of satin ceilings is not susceptible to the effects of microorganisms such as mildew and mildew.
- Large selection of colors… Due to the wide range of colors of manufactured products, you can choose a satin ceiling for any interior.
- Strength… The satin ceiling is not afraid of heavy loads and can even protect the room from being flooded with water from the upper floors.
- Disguise electrical wiring… The satin ceiling reliably masks the utilities laid along the base surface.
- Base leveling… The stretched ceiling has an absolutely perfect surface.
- Reasonable price of canvases… This makes them available to a wide range of buyers.
- Preservation of qualities during operation… Satin fabric is not saturated with foreign odors, does not absorb dust, protects against noise and is easy to clean.
- Fire resistance… The material does not burn and complies with fire safety regulations.
- Moisture resistance… The canvas is suitable for installation in rooms with humid air.
- Environmental Safety… Satin ceilings do not emit harmful vapors that are hazardous to human health.
- Ease of base preparation… Installation of a satin ceiling does not require careful preparation of a concrete or wooden base.
- Installation speed… Stretch satin ceiling can be installed in a standard room in 1-3 hours.
Several features determine the cons of a satin stretch ceiling:
- Large cuts in the ceiling or punctures with sharp objects may cause replacement.
- Since the canvas of the satin ceiling has the properties of PVC coatings, and only imitates the texture of the fabric, it cannot be used at low temperatures - it becomes fragile. Therefore, it is not recommended to decorate unheated rooms with satin ceilings.
- Satin fabric has a width limitation. Therefore, in large rooms, a ceiling seam is indispensable.
- After dismantling, the satin ceiling cannot be reused.
- At temperatures above 60 degrees, the ceiling may melt. Therefore, the lamps of lighting devices must be removed from it at a safe distance or covered with shades.
Scope of satin stretch ceilings
After studying the properties of satin ceilings, you can make completely independent conclusions about in what conditions and rooms they should be used, and in which not. Nevertheless, we will give recommendations regarding the field of application of these stretch coatings:
- Satin ceilings will be appropriate in rooms with interiors made in a modern, futuristic and classic style.
- In the manufacture of curved ceilings, the use of satin fabric will be more successful than using a conventional matte film. The color of the material will change at different viewing angles. This will make the ceiling look very beautiful.
- Ceiling stretch satin structures look expensive, respectable and respectable in offices.
- The soothing and relaxing aura of satin ceiling surfaces is suitable for use in bedrooms and children's rooms.
- The white satin ceiling adds style and comfort to the room. This finish will suit fans of a conservative atmosphere.
- Satin canvas looks good on multi-level ceilings with properly organized lighting. The walls should be slightly darker than it, as a light ceiling visually increases the space.
- Today, photo printing made on satin canvases has become very popular. An exquisite and original look of such coatings can be given using a large format printer.
Satin ceilings are ideal for zoning a room and go well with plasterboard structures. When zoning a room and arranging a multi-level ceiling system, you can use several colors of the canvas.
DIY installation of a satin stretch ceiling
The work of installing a satin stretch ceiling is not particularly difficult, but it requires certain skills from the performer, as well as special equipment - a thermal air heater.Of the main tools you will need: a perforator, a screwdriver, a tape measure and a hydraulic level, and from materials - a tension satin cloth, frame profiles, accessories and fasteners. Installation is carried out in stages.
Fixing a profile for a satin stretch ceiling
First you need to mark the surface. Determine the lowest point of the ceiling surface. Taking into account the place for placing communications from it, you should measure down 5-15 cm and apply a mark. Then, using a hydraulic level, this mark must be transferred to the other corners of the room, and after performing this operation, connect all four points with lines around the perimeter of the room. A paint cord is used to print the lines. The marking of the line of fastening of the wall profiles of the frame is ready.
The profile is installed strictly along the marking lines that indicate the perimeter of the room. Previously, fixing holes are drilled in the walls and profiles using a punch and a drill with a pitch of 15 cm.Then plastic dowels are inserted into the walls, and the profiles, cut to the required size, are installed along the marked line so that their fixing holes correspond to the location of the dowels. After that, the profiles are attached to the wall with screws, and their joints are glued with construction tape to avoid damaging the canvas.
Wiring for luminaires in satin stretch ceiling
The wiring for the ceiling lights will be hidden after the leaf is fixed to the frame profiles. It runs like this:
- The points of installation of lighting devices and the place of connection to the main wiring are determined - the junction box.
- The wires coming from the lamps are put into a box and connected to the power supply system, which at this moment must be disconnected. All cables should be laid in a corrugation, and their connection should be made using special terminals, avoiding twists.
- After installing the cables, it is necessary to connect the lighting devices to them and check their operation.
- When the check is complete and a satisfactory result is obtained, the power supply to the ceiling wiring must be disconnected.
Fastening a satin stretch canvas to the ceiling
The final stage of work is fastening and tensioning the ceiling satin fabric. In this case, a thermal heater is used.
The work is performed in the following sequence:
- Before starting work, the room warms up to a temperature of +40 degrees.
- Then the first two diagonal corners of the canvas are fixed in the profiles, and then the other two. The process is accompanied by heating the membrane up to +60 degrees.
- After that, depending on the fastening system of the web, its opposite sides are alternately fixed in the profiles with constant heating of the material. The blade is refilled with a spatula.
- In the process of work, markings are made on the material, and cutouts are made in it for the installation of lighting devices. The contours of the cutouts are reinforced with plastic rings that protect the canvas from tearing when pulled.
- After fixing it, the excess edges are cut off, and the heating of the material stops.
- When it cools, the satin fabric stretches and takes on a perfectly even and beautiful appearance.
Caring for satin stretch ceilings
Features of the satin texture of stretch ceilings simplify their care and make it as easy as possible. The durability and cleanliness of the satin ceiling is ensured in the following ways:
- You can improve the appearance and freshen the coating with a dry cloth, wiping it from time to time.
- If the surface of the canvas is dirty, you can use a rag soaked in 10% ammonia solution, and then wipe everything dry.
- For surface care, you can purchase a special liquid designed for cleaning ceilings with a satin and matte texture.
- It is not recommended to use a sponge for washing the satin ceiling, as it leaves streaks on its surface.
- To preserve the original appearance of the satin ceiling sheet, it is not recommended to use brushes, abrasive cleaning agents and detergents containing acids and other aggressive components. They can damage the texture of the ceiling covering and spoil its appearance.
How to attach a satin stretch ceiling - look at the video:
Satin stretch ceilings receive good reviews from grateful buyers for their impeccable appearance, fancy play with light and creating a cozy home environment. Recommended!