Origin of the oriental cat breed, external standard, color varieties, character traits and care, health description. Purchase price. The oriental cat (Oriental Shorthair) belongs to the group of oriental breeds, it consists of Rex and Siamese varieties. She has the most hypertrophied features of the entire category of oriental species.
The origin of the oriental breed
Brought to Europe and America from Thailand, the Kingdom of Siam. In the ancient manuscripts of the Thais, graceful cats with Siamese and uniform fur coats were painted. They were national property and it was not allowed to take them out of the country.
In 1895, an exhibition specimen of a blue-tinted murka was seen in England, which was taken from Southeast Asia. For a very long time among the British, Siamese representatives of animals enjoyed indisputable attention, and only forty years later they became interested in their monochromatic relatives.
British and American breeders set out to breed a graceful ori-beauty of even color. Pedigree cats were bred with fully colored and very slender shorthaired brethren. The first bred specimens were demonstrated in the sixties, and then, these features were supported by breeders.
The breed was officially recognized at the dawn of the seventies, in 1974. At that time, there were more than sixty nurseries. They were brought to Russia in 1986. Now at exhibitions you can admire graceful thoroughbred specimens. Siamese and Oriental species fall into the same category, have the same standard, and can be bred together.
External standard of oriental cats
All cats that were brought from Thailand were called Siamese, but over the past about eighty to one hundred years, these animals have completely changed their exterior. They have become more elegant.
The head of the oriental cat is narrow, long, with a very thin elongated muzzle, located on a graceful elongated neck. Straight profile. The chin is not large, in a vertical line with the end of the nose. Expressive, large, slanting, wide-set eyes. The color is mostly green, only in white cats they can be blue or multi-colored. The skull in the region of the eye sockets is not convex. Strabismus is considered a deficiency. Large, widely spaced ears, as it were, continue the line of the head, rounded up to the top.
Representatives of the oriental clan are distinguished by the flexibility of the panther, and the royal posture - it is not for nothing that they are the cats of the most beautiful breed in the world. Elegance in everything. An elongated body with knocked down muscles and a toned belly. The shoulders are slightly narrower than the hips.
The body length of adults reaches up to 95 cm, the height at the withers is up to 27 cm. The weight of males is from 4 to 4.7 kg, of cats from 2.5 to 3.5 kg. Copies with too light bones are disqualified. The limbs are long and slender. The hind legs are slightly larger than the front ones. Paws are oval.
It is considered beautiful when the oriental cat has an elongated, thin tail that tapers towards the tip. Wool, fine close to the skin - no undercoat. They are very diverse in color, maybe monochromatic or tabby (spot, marble). In solid color, the tone of the entire animal should be uniform. The very rare combination of white wool and green eyes is prized.
Groups of wool shades:
- "Ebony" is all black, from the tip of the nose to the tail;
- "Havana" - solid brown with a sheen of cocoa, only the nose and pads with a pinkish tint;
- "Lilac" - uniform with tints of violet, lilac, blue;
- "Dark blue" is a gray color with a bluish sheen - darker or lighter, blue or light green eyes;
- "Cinnamon" - chocolate, several tones lighter than "Havana";
- "Faun" - light cream, pink only paws and nose;
- "Red" - orange, sometimes with a red tint, the nose pads on the paws are pink;
- "Creamy" - the warmest shade of wool - coffee with milk.
Varieties of color patterns:
- "Marble" - a chaotic contrasting pattern with lines;
- "Tiger" - striped, the name speaks for itself;
- "Ticked" - the end of the hair is either dark or light in color;
- "Spotted" - a monochromatic background with spots;
- "Silver tabby" - consists of a characteristic pattern on a solid background.
Character features of the Oriental
Orientals are very graceful and flexible. During games, they are able to soar high up in an attempt to catch prey. Sometimes such activity threatens with trouble, and therefore these cats need a caring owner who will monitor their health and protect them from injury. Animals first of all require accuracy in keeping - if your pets live in a house at a height higher than the second floor, the windows should be covered with a net, the loggias should be glazed. Being active and playful, they often fall out of windows onto the street.
They love to communicate and play with a person. They prefer various toys - balls and mice. They, like dogs, bring them, and put them right in the hand - let's play. You need to be careful, as their claws are very sharp. You can cut the claws, but they grow back very quickly.
The Orientals not only have a flexible body, but it should be noted, a very flexible mind. They are very quick-witted ori-animals who love to learn everything new and unknown. Curious pathfinders explore almost everything from humans to technical household items and other inhabitants in the home. They are not afraid of either a vacuum cleaner or a hairdryer. If suddenly you buy new equipment, they will definitely participate in the assembly of the device. Any innovations that have appeared in the house are met with interest, and are accepted with a bang.
They are very communicative, and are curious about new guests who come to the house. If you visit a house where such an exotic lives, he will certainly sniff you, greet you, and invite you to play.
The main virtue of the Oriental is their flexible and loyal nature. Even if the cat does not want to do something, you can ask her, and she will do it only out of love and devotion to the owner. Orientals are very sociable - they like to talk, and their voice is loud and specific. Smart guys know your daily routine. If you go to bed at the wrong time, or eat, they will remind you of this with their talkative meows: "Master, have you forgotten about your business?"
- Wool. Busy breeders, or people who are reluctant to care for a friend's fur coat, orientals are very comfortable. They have no undercoat, only carp hair. There is no shedding, no stained carpets and furniture with wool. They can only shed their hair during periods of stress (for example, an exhibition). Suitable for owners even with allergic diseases. It is extremely rare to bathe an Oriental with special feline shampoos. After bathing, wipe off in towels made from natural fabrics only. Protect from hypothermia - they react very badly to drafts.
- Ears, claws. To avoid otitis media, bacterial, and fungal infections, the cat should be regularly examined and cleaned from the ear cavities. They cleanse the ears with various typed lotions, creams and sprays. If desired, sharp claws are cut with scissors-claws.
- Feeding. For the entire Siamese group of mustache, there are special foods, the developers of which have been working for many years to ensure that these creatures feel good and are healthy. There are supporters of natural feeding, but you need to follow your own system, suitable for an oriental cat. A very balanced diet is recommended so that there is no bias in certain food elements. Also, it is necessary to ensure the intake of specialized vitamins.To make the coat shine, add a little fish oil or butter to the food.
- Toilet training. Orientals very quickly become accustomed to the litter box, but since they are very intelligent animals, they can be taught to relieve themselves even on the toilet. For this, the tray is placed near the toilet. Then it is rearranged to a small hill, which gradually rises to the level of the push. During the post, the cat litter box is rearranged on the toilet, and is removed altogether.
Orientals live up to 17 years and more. This is not such a painful breed. With proper maintenance and feeding, it is not prone to certain diseases. Every year, the pet is given a scheduled comprehensive vaccination.
In some individuals, problems may arise in the gastrointestinal tract, biliary or pancreas due to a sharp change in food. To recover, you need a special diet and nutritional balance. If necessary, they give drugs for the gastrointestinal tract.
Oriental cats can suffer from gum disease and tartar build-up. In these cases, the appropriate procedures are prescribed by the veterinarian. To prevent this, pets regularly brush their teeth with special products.
Heart disease is very rare. Then the cat is under constant supervision by a veterinarian.
Breeding of the oriental breed
The Oriental breed has early puberty. If your animal wants to extend its genus, then you will soon find out about it. Males and females scream loudly all day long, marking their territory everywhere. The smell is "charming"! They will definitely make you find a partner for them. If you do not want to breed your faithful friend, you will not do without sterilization. A cat can be untied in the second year of life, and a cat after one and a half to two years - after two or three estrus.
So, if you have a thoroughbred lady with documents, you will have to look for the appropriate groom. Both pussies must be examined by a veterinarian and tested. It is paid for knitting in two stages. The first one - before mating with a deposit, the second - after giving birth, the best kitten from the litter, or a surcharge.
After mating, pregnancy lasts about two months - it depends on the number of kittens. They have two extremes, there are multiple lines that give birth to 6-8 pieces, and there are those that have only 2-3 kittens. There is no middle ground. A pregnant oriental cat should be provided with an enhanced, balanced diet and vitamins.
To strengthen immunity and better bearing, a natural drug is prescribed - "Ligfol". If suddenly the cat gets sick, exclude the use of pharmaceutical preparations - even from fleas. Only probiotics can be taken.
Help mommy take care of the places she can't reach. Comb the coat and wipe with a damp sponge. Protect your ori cat from excessive jumping from a height and communicating with relatives.
Watch your pet. Where she is most comfortable, there and equip a warm place for future kittens. Orientals give birth without any problems, but do not leave the woman in childbirth alone. If the cat is a first-born, it is better to wait for the offspring under the supervision of a treating veterinarian. Usually childbirth takes place from half a day or a day.
Kittens are born from 110 gr. up to 600 gr. The cat looks after and feeds them. Sometimes many mustache or weak individuals are born. To raise such Oriental children healthy, they are transferred to artificial feeding and sometimes they undergo medical procedures.
After childbirth and during the feeding period, the body of a young mother is exhausted. She needs enhanced nutrition and vitamins. After giving birth, some ori cats may suffer from a nervous disease, from which the calcium content in the blood drops sharply, behave aggressively and even refuse kittens! Symptoms of milk fever are difficult to identify, so it is imperative to have a qualified healthcare provider for proper diagnosis.
Tips for buying orientals
If you want to purchase a purebred animal, you must definitely contact nurseries that specialize in breeding an oriental variety. Be sure to check the parentage lines of the father and mother of the future pet. If the choice is made, make a deposit for the chosen kitten - reserve it. After a couple of months, having paid the rest of the amount, you take your pet.
At the time of transfer to the owner, the ori animal must be absolutely healthy, helmentized with appropriate vaccinations. Also for the first period, it is supplied with food that it ate from the breeder. Throughout the life of the acquired furry, you can consult the seller on any question regarding the ori pet. The price can vary from 100 to 500 USD per animal.
More about this cat breed, see here: