Scented rich pea soup … Great lunch on a cold day! And in order to speed up the process of cooking the soup, you need to know some of the subtleties of the dish, which you will learn about in this article.
Photo of ready-made pea soup Recipe content:
- Step by step cooking
- Video recipe
Thick soup of dried peas on a strong pork broth cooked on ribs is a classic dish of the autumn-winter dinner table. The combination of pork and green pea flavors is considered traditional not only in Russian cuisine, but also in Germany, France and other European countries. There are also varieties of pea chowder, where bacon is added, for example, in Estonia it is prepared with pork legs and lard.
By the way, any pea soups are united by both seasonality and the ability to become noticeably tastier within a couple of days after cooking. They are also prized for their amazing childhood-like taste, ease of preparation and availability of ingredients. In addition, peas contain many proteins that are necessary for the human body, especially in the colder months of the year. And it is also low-calorie, which will diversify the menu of those who follow the figure and follow a diet.
You can experiment with this dish. For example, for a lean table, replace pork ribs with mushrooms, for more piquancy - with smoked meats. You can also complement it with cheese or noodles.
- Caloric content per 100 g - 66 kcal.
- Servings - 4
- Cooking time - 10 hours for soaking peas, 1–1.5 hours for soup
- Pork ribs - 800 g
- Carrots - 1 pc.
- Chopped dry peas - 250 g
- Onions - 1 pc.
- Salt to taste
- Ground black pepper - to taste
- Garlic - 2 cloves
- Bay leaf - 3 pcs.
- Allspice peas - 4 pcs.
Cooking pea soup
1. Preliminarily, 9-10 hours before the start of cooking, sort the peas from dust, pebbles and dirt. Rinse and refill with potable water. Leave to swell, while it is advisable to change the water every 3 hours so that the legume does not ferment. During this time, the peas will increase in size and volume by 3 times. The photo shows how many peas were dry, and how many turned out after soaking. This process will allow the peas to cook faster, and just as importantly, get rid of bloating and flatulence.
2. Transfer the soaked peas to a sieve and rinse again under running water.
3. Wash the pork ribs, cut off the film, if any, cut into bones and put in a cooking pot. Add the peeled onion, bay leaf and peppercorns.
4. Fill with drinking water and place on the stove. Boil over high heat and remove the resulting foam with a slotted spoon.
5. When the froth is removed, put the peas in a saucepan and boil over high heat again. Then, keep it to a minimum and continue cooking the stew for about an hour.
6. Peel the carrots, cut into small cubes or grate and put in the soup. If desired, for satiety food, carrots can be pre-fried in a pan in vegetable oil.
7. Boil the chowder for about 15 minutes, season with salt, pepper, garlic passed through a press. Continue cooking until the peas are tender. When it is soft and crumbly, then the meal is ready.
8. Pour the first course into deep bowls and serve hot. Depending on your taste preferences, you can put a spoonful of sour cream or crackers in a serving.
See also a video recipe on how to cook pea soup correctly and tasty - a recipe from Ilya Lazerson: