The article discusses what textured paint for the ceiling is, presents its classification and types, advantages and disadvantages, describes how to choose the right material. In addition, you can familiarize yourself with the technology of textured ceiling painting. When it first appeared in the finishing industry, textured paints stunned many with their vibrant colors and the originality of textured coatings. A technologically sophisticated and simple invention immediately found application. The interiors of the apartments and the facades of the buildings have acquired a fresh face. Special fillers included in the textured paints made it possible to imitate various reliefs on the surface of stone, concrete and other structures, including ceilings.
Classification and types of textured paint
Textured paint is a protective decorative coating and differs in the type of its forming agent - silicate, silicone or acrylic. In addition, there is a conditional division of textured paints by the size of their fillers:
- Small - with a fraction of up to 0.5 mm;
- Medium - with a fraction of 0.5-1.0 mm;
- Large - with a fraction of 1.0-2.0 mm.
Crushed gas silicate stone, marble chips, polymer fibers or quartz sand are used as fillers.
According to the decorative effect, textured ceiling paints can be divided into multicolor or luminescent, classical, as well as compositions, the aesthetic effect of which lies in the structure of the finished material.
Classic textured paints involve hand-made surface relief. These include a type of paint called plastic mass. Its consistency is much thicker than that of other types of similar materials. Therefore, this paint is indispensable for decorating overhanging horizontal surfaces, in our case, the ceiling.
The viscous structure of the material allows you to create a thick layer of paint on the ceiling plane, which is able to successfully hide its irregularities. With the help of a curly spatula, a deep relief can be created on the surface of the plastic mass. In addition, this material has thermal insulation properties, which are especially valuable for the ceilings of the upper floor of the building. The plastic mass can give a matte or glossy surface, it is moisture resistant, and is often used in the design of living rooms and bathrooms.
Mosaic paint is mechanically applied to the ceiling. Its name is associated with the effect of the coating obtained as a result of the use of this material. The mosaic paint contains microcapsules of pigments, the color of which has a special contrast in relation to the bulk of the solution. The mosaic effect can only be achieved with a spray gun. When the material is sprayed under pressure, the pigment capsules burst and form a pattern on the surface that resembles the structure of a granite stone. This coating is easy to clean and does not require a protective layer.
Ready-made textured paints on sale do not need to be mixed. They allow you to get one relief with a specific color, for example, imitation of snakeskin or the effect of old plaster with cracks.
Advantages and disadvantages of textured paints
Compared to conventional paints and varnishes, textured paints have the following advantages:
- The textured coating does not require a long and laborious process of leveling the ceiling.
- A layer of paint makes the substrate uniform, hiding chips, any external cracks or depressions in the surface.
- The coating made with textured paint is resistant to mechanical stress on it.
- The price of materials is quite affordable, which is one of the reasons for their popularity in the production of finishing work.
- Textured paints are environmentally friendly, as they are made from natural materials.
- The material has low flammability and the ability to self-extinguish, which is especially valuable in housing construction.
- The color range of textured paints can be limited only by human imagination.
- The textured coating is easily repaired; it can be periodically painted with any acrylic compound.
The main disadvantage of textured paints is too high consumption. 1 m2 more than a kilogram of this material can be removed from the treated surface.
It is not recommended to decorate ceilings with textured compositions in wooden houses. Seasonal shrinkage of the building can cause significant damage to the ceiling trimmed with such material. The appearance of cracks and crumbling of the textured layer is possible.
Features of the choice of textured paint for the ceiling
The multitude of proposals for existing types of textured paints makes it difficult to choose them not only for beginners, but also often for repair professionals. To facilitate this task, we suggest that you familiarize yourself with the most high-quality and affordable textured paints:
- Coral Galamix-72 … Waterproof textured acrylic paint. In its composition, it has a marble filler, which gives the applied coating a grainy effect. The paint is highly breathable and UV resistant. Its average price on the market is 125 rubles / kg.
- Alpina Expert … A very popular paint on the Russian market. Its versatility constantly attracts many buyers. This textured paint can be used for external and internal work, while obtaining a high-quality protective layer. The cost of Alpina Expert paint is 110 rubles / kg.
- Dune Galamix-72 … Textured paint from a Russian manufacturer. Serves for painting ceilings, hiding even significant defects. In addition, this material can be used to decorate rooms with high humidity. To buy textured paint for the Dune Galamix72 ceiling, you need to pay 81 rubles / kg.
Usually, instructions for using the material are attached to the textured paint by its manufacturer. If any additional questions arise when buying a ready-made composition, the answers to them can often be found on the manufacturer's website.
Pigment for textured paints is purchased separately. It can be powder or in the form of a ready-made composition, packed in a special syringe, which is convenient for dispensing the pigment when it is added to the paint.
Textured ceiling painting technology
Any kind of textured paint is universal: it can be used to decorate both concrete or plaster surfaces and wooden ceilings with equal success. Work with textured paint is carried out at an air temperature of at least +7 degrees, at low temperatures the mixture quickly thickens, and it becomes impossible to apply it to the surface.
Preparing the ceiling for applying textured paint
Before applying the paint, it is necessary to complete the work, which includes leveling and cleaning its surface, putty and applying a primer.
Minor flaws on its surface will be hidden by a layer of textured paint, and the joints of the concrete ceiling slabs will have to be repaired on their own. On a flat plane, the textured painting of the ceiling looks very attractive, so its height differences require alignment with plaster or gypsum mortar.
Cleaning the ceiling from unnecessary old coating is carried out using scrapers, brushes with metal bristles, rags and water. The work is painstaking, but necessary. Smoothing the ceiling surface with a plaster mix is carried out using a wide trowel or trowel with a float in case of plastering.
The final stage in preparing the ceiling is its priming. For it, a special paint-primer is used, which is included in the set of textured material and corresponds to it in color. The task of the primer is to ensure adhesion of the decorative paint layer to the base of the prepared ceiling.
Applying textured paint to the ceiling
The priming layer of the ceiling dries for at least 5 hours. After the end of this process, you can open the package with the textured basic composition and carry out tinting with thorough mixing of the solution using a mixer.
Features of applying textured paint to the ceiling:
- Textured paint can be applied to the ceiling surface with a wide trowel, natural sponge, metal comb or structured roller. A wide range of such tools available on the market allows you to make a textured drawing for every taste.
- It is possible to create drawings and various patterns on a layer of paint not only with the help of special tools. For this process, improvised material is often used: cellophane, a ruler, a rope wrapping a roller, and even an ordinary comb.
- The finished solution of textured paint is applied to the ceiling surface gradually in squares. One or two of them are painted with a brush, and then these areas are processed with the necessary tool or improvised means to obtain the desired pattern.
- The paint should be applied in one layer, and you should not do this near an already dried area. Therefore, you need to paint everything without interruption, and create a coating structure on the go.
- Initially, the textured paint is applied to the painting tool with a spatula. After that, a layer of paint is applied to the surface and spread on it in circular movements in different directions.
- Textured paint can be applied to the ceiling with a 5-10 cm wide trowel. In this case, the resulting surface structure will resemble a French impressionist canvas, and its volume will depend on the amount of paint applied.
- Another option is to paint with a metal comb. Due to its arrangement of teeth, the material leaves on the surface of the ceiling wavy stripes of a simple geometric shape.
- It has become a tradition to paint the ceiling with a textured roller. It allows you to quickly and efficiently give the desired structure to the ceiling surface. Before applying paint to the ceiling, the roller must be moistened with water.
- With the help of textured paint on the ceiling, you can create a coating with the effect of "flock", "moire spray" or "velvet". It is suitable for imitating the structure of stone and many other natural materials. However, these types of finishes require special equipment.
The coating created with pearlescent textured paint looks great on the ceiling. It has the ability to change color, which is why it is often called chameleon paint. The color change of this paint occurs in accordance with the lighting of the ceiling and the angle of view, and its translucent structure is ensured by the presence of natural mother-of-pearl in the composition. Pearlescent paint fits well on gypsum, wood panels and putty. Adding glitter to this material gives the finished finish a festive look. How to make a textured ceiling - watch the video:
Painting the ceiling with textured paint is a very responsible process. Therefore, it is important to prepare the exact amount of material so that it is guaranteed to be enough for one coating layer. Good luck!