Features of the preparation of a symbolic dish for the Old New Year. Varieties of fillings and their meaning. TOP 3 recipes for dumplings with a surprise.
Dumplings with a surprise is a symbolic dish that is prepared for the Old New Year for fortune telling. Both edible and inedible fillings (for example, scraps) are placed in the dough. You can cook the dish on the eve of the holiday before the arrival of guests.
Why prepare dumplings with a surprise?
Dumplings for the New Year with a surprise - one of the options for festive fortune telling, timed to January 13-14. At this time, Christmastide continues, and you can try your luck by trying to look into the future.
Fortune-telling on dumplings is harmless and is rather in the nature of entertainment for guests. It's fun to get your own dumpling with an unexpected filling, and then use it to determine what awaits you.
The meaning of the surprise dumplings, if they are edible, is predetermined. Each type of filling has its own interpretation. Knowing it, you can easily determine the meaning of each dumpling.
When dumplings are cooked with a surprise, it depends on what time the guests will gather. It is more interesting to guess if a large company is going, but you can try your luck with a narrow family circle. Prepare the dish ahead of time and place it in the freezer. Then all that remains is to cook and serve.
When they eat dumplings with a surprise, it also depends on the time of the planned holiday. Since Christmastide lasts until January 19, you can guess on the 13th or 14th at any time of the day.
Important! Dumplings with a surprise for the Old New Year are a good way to entertain those present. Use it to create a festive atmosphere in your home.
What to use for dumplings?
The dish can be prepared with any filling. It is desirable that it does not repeat itself. Each dumpling should have its own content. Then guessing is more interesting.
Any products are suitable for the filling:
- orange slices - quick joy;
- candy - love relationships;
- peanuts - passion;
- walnuts - longevity, health;
- cabbage - an early wedding or strong marriage;
- raisins - flirting, love affair;
- meat - wealth, prosperity;
- buckwheat - good news;
- grains - well-being;
- carrot - new acquaintances, changes;
- honey - excellent health;
- mushrooms - to long life, well-being;
- cinnamon - to pleasant changes;
- bay leaf - for career advancement;
- red pepper - unpleasant life events;
- black peppercorns - life changes;
- cucumbers - a meeting with a life partner, a faithful friend;
- garlic - a marriage of convenience;
- rice - well-being;
- cottage cheese - to a meeting with reliable people;
- apple - to success;
- dried apricots - to good news;
- olives - to well-being;
- fish - to pregnancy;
- sweet pepper - passionate relationship;
- sunflower seeds - new ideas;
- sugar - to good luck in business;
- beans - to the birth of a child;
- cheese - to big profits;
- millet is empty chores.
These values are quite enough to provide a large company with dumplings. To make it easier to explain the meaning of the filling, print out the explanations in advance and display them for guests.
Instead of edible filling, symbolic items are often added to dumplings, for example, coins or notes with wishes. In this case, warn guests that an inedible surprise may await them.
Using parchment paper, you can prepare notes with different recommendations or wishes for the New Year. Try to write something nice so as not to upset guests. Plain fortune-telling paper will not work: it will get wet during cooking.
Along with the notes, you can also add the filling. The guests will get the note, and the dumplings will be eaten.Surprises in dumplings are a great option for New Year's entertainment and fortune-telling, which will delight guests of any age.
Surprise dumplings recipes
When making dumplings with surprises, it is important to prepare a soft, tasty dough. The main secret is long kneading. Then the dough turns out to be elastic, thin, stretchable.
The classic recipe for dumplings with a surprise
When treating those present, remind you that dumplings are a surprise. If you put a coin or other inedible items inside, be sure to warn guests to avoid accidents.
- Caloric content per 100 g - 240 kcal.
- Servings - 4
- Cooking time - 50 minutes
- Flour - 500 g
- Water is an incomplete glass
- Milk - 50 ml
- Vegetable oil - 2 tablespoons
- Salt - 1 tsp
Step-by-step preparation of dumplings with a surprise according to the classic recipe:
- Sift the flour thoroughly and place it in a slide on a cutting board.
- Heat the milk slightly.
- Dig a groove in the flour.
- Pour in the milk in a thin stream.
- Add water, salt and egg.
- Knead the dough. Stir in the sunflower oil a little as you mix.
- Continue the process until the dough is thick and difficult to knead.
- Set the dough aside for half an hour by covering it with a towel or napkin.
- While it is resting, prepare the filling for each dumpling.
- Roll out the finished dough into a thin layer, cut the circles with a glass.
- Place the filling inside.
- Close up the dumplings, you can decorate the edge with a "branded" pigtail.
Place the dumplings in the freezer or simmer in boiling water if guests are on the way. Serve with butter or sour cream.
Simple dough surprise dumplings
You can also use a simpler dough for the dish. It tastes no worse than the one prepared according to the previous recipe. While cooking, follow the previous tip: knead the dough thoroughly.
- Flour - 500 g
- Water - 1 tbsp.
Step-by-step preparation of dumplings with a simple dough surprise:
- Use cold water for mixing. Pour into a bowl. Salt.
- Add flour gradually while kneading the dough. Another option is to heap flour on a cutting board and add water in a thin stream.
- Let the finished dough rest for half an hour.
- Roll out the sausage, cut into slices.
- Form each piece into a tortilla and fill with the filling. Cover the dumpling.
- Send the blanks to the freezer or boiling water.
Choux dumplings with surprise
According to this recipe, the dough is soft, elastic and tasty. For cooking, you need boiling water.
- Wheat flour - 3 tbsp.
- Egg - 1 pc.
- Boiling water - 1 tbsp.
- Vegetable oil - 1 tablespoon
- Salt - 1 tsp
Step-by-step preparation of dumplings with a choux pastry surprise:
- Beat the egg into the bowl where you will prepare the dough.
- Add salt and vegetable oil.
- Add flour and stir the ingredients until smooth.
- Pour boiling water over the flour, kneading the dough.
- Continue kneading with your hands in a bowl or on a cutting board. Add flour as needed.
- Let the dough cool at room temperature, for which leave it for half an hour.
- Now start cooking dumplings.