Starch is not only an affordable but also an effective hair care product. It can be used as a shampoo or added to homemade masks. Usually starch is used in cooking, but few people know that this product is very useful for hair, as it has a unique effect on them. Starch is a white powdery substance and is practically odorless and tasteless. Starch is produced by a large variety of plants.
Benefits of starch for hair
Despite the fact that the composition of starch does not differ in a wide variety of nutrients, when combined with other components, a certain reaction occurs to the hair.
Starch has the following effect on the hair:
- After contact with the skin, the starch begins to react with sebum, resulting in the production of glucose. It is this component that is valued most of all, as it nourishes the hair roots, helping to strengthen the hair follicles.
- As a result of exposure to air, some of the glucose breaks down into water and carbon dioxide. Water perfectly moisturizes hair, while carbon dioxide naturally removes dirt and dust from the hair surface.
- The starch contains a small amount of niacin, which has a healing effect on the hair follicles. As a result, dormant bulbs awaken, hair loss decreases and strands become stronger.
- Starch contains potassium, calcium, phosphorus and sodium, which have a positive effect on the condition of the scalp, and all metabolic processes are accelerated.
Starch, like Minoxidil for hair, is a budget remedy that is considered an excellent alternative to modern dry shampoos, which are quite expensive. If you don't have time to wash your hair, and there is no dry shampoo, you can use plain starch. With its help, excess sebum is removed from the hair roots, as a result the strands become fresher and look neat.
How to use hair starch?
To get the most out of your hair starch, there are a few simple rules to follow. This will help you avoid common mistakes when using this tool.
The consistency of starch is very interesting, so it can get lost in dense lumps that do not break and are extremely difficult to remove from the hair. That is why, before using starch for hair care, you need to know some of the rules for its use:
- The indication for the use of starch is very oily hair, which quickly becomes dirty and requires frequent washing.
- This product is not recommended for dry and damaged hair.
- You can use not only potato, but also corn starch, as it has a similar effect on hair.
- It is extremely rare that starch provokes an allergic reaction on the scalp. Therefore, a sensitivity test must first be carried out. If there are no negative reactions, starch can be used for hair care.
- The main task of starch is to cleanse the scalp and hair. It makes no sense to use it on clean hair, since in this case there will be no positive effect.
- It is not recommended to apply starch to wet or damp hair, as even a small amount of enemies can lead to the formation of lumps, which will be very difficult to remove.
- You cannot use starch all the time, because it should act as an emergency aid for oily hair. The fact is that starch has a very active effect on the sebaceous glands of the scalp, so it can be used no more than twice a week.
If all of the above recommendations are followed, the starch will only benefit the hair and scalp. As a result, the strands become fresh, shiny and crumbly.
Hair styling with starch
It has long been known that you can use simple starch to add volume to your hair (read the review about the hair mask - Princess Hair). A few decades ago, there were no such styling products as today, so affordable and simple components were used, thanks to which one could look irresistible in any situation.
Among the old beauty secrets is starch, which can be used to style hair. It has always been used to starch pillowcases, shirt collars and sheets. Starch has the same effect on hair.
If you need to quickly add volume to the strands, you should use the following recommendations:
- Before proceeding directly with styling, you first need to comb your hair well.
- A simple starch solution is made - starch dissolves in water.
- To make it more comfortable to use the solution, it can be poured into a spray bottle.
- A small amount of the product is applied directly at the roots to the strands and styling is performed.
The effect will be visible instantly. This product is recommended for adding volume to fine hair.
Starch for dry hair washing
Starch can be used as a dry shampoo and compete with modern products. This method is ideal if your hair tends to get dirty quickly, as starch helps to easily restore freshness and beauty to your hair.
At the most unexpected moment, a situation may occur when you urgently need to leave the house, but there is no time to wash your hair. In this case, you can use the following find:
- First, the hair is carefully combed.
- A small amount of corn or potato starch is taken and poured into the parting.
- Then another parting is done and a little starch is also poured.
- According to this scheme, the entire surface of the head is processed.
- A comb is taken and the strands are carefully combed, while it is important to try to completely remove the starch.
- Starch residues can be blown out using a hair dryer.
Conditioner and starch have a similar effect on hair. Both products slightly thicken the strands, adding volume and making them more manageable. If starch is to be used as a conditioner, first sprinkle on the hair roots, and after 10 minutes, gently shake off the remains. Then you just need to wash your hair. After such a procedure, a slight straightening effect will be noticeable.
Starch hair mask recipes
Starch can be used not only for dry washing and cleansing hair, but also can be added to a variety of restorative and nourishing masks. Taking into account the type of hair, the composition of the product is selected, due to which it will be possible to achieve a certain action. Such homemade masks contain only natural ingredients, but they must be prepared immediately before use.
Natural mask for dandruff treatment
You can prepare an effective mask at home on your own that will help get rid of dandruff. Of course, after a single use of such a tool, you should not count on the complete elimination of the problem, but after completing a full course, the desired result will be noticeable.
To prepare the mask you need to take:
- cream - 2 tbsp. l.;
- starch (potato or corn) - 2 tbsp. l.
The cooking process is carried out as follows:
- To enhance the effect of the mask, it is recommended to add pre-crushed currant and raspberry leaves (1 tsp each) to its composition, which have anti-inflammatory properties.
- The composition helps soothe irritated scalp, relieve itching and inflammation - these symptoms are often accompanied by dandruff.
- All components are mixed until a homogeneous mixture is obtained.
- The finished mask is applied to the strands, rubbed into the hair roots.
- The mixture is left for half an hour, after which it is washed off with shampoo and warm water.
Mask for oily hair
It is an excellent and effective remedy that helps in the fight against oily hair roots.
The mask contains the following components:
- olive oil - 1 tbsp. l.;
- starch (corn or potato) - 2 tbsp. l.;
- tomato - 1 pc.
The process of preparing the mask is carried out according to the following scheme:
- First, the tomato is peeled - a cross-shaped cut in the peel is made on top, and the tomato is placed in boiling water for a few seconds.
- Chop the tomato until puree is obtained.
- Oil and starch are added to the tomato puree, after which all the components are well mixed until a mixture of a homogeneous consistency is obtained.
- The finished mask is applied evenly over the entire length of the hair.
- After 60 minutes, the remnants of the mask are washed off with warm water and shampoo.
Hair strengthening mask
This mask contains cabbage. This ingredient is rarely used because cabbage can leave an unpleasant odor, but you just need to use shampoo to remove it.
To prepare a mask that will help get rid of the problem of hair loss, you need to take the following components:
- white cabbage (chopped) - 4 tbsp. l.;
- olive oil - 1 tbsp. l.;
- starch - 2 tbsp. l.
Prepare a hair mask as follows:
- First, a few clean sheets of boiled cabbage are crushed until a gruel is obtained.
- All components are mixed.
- The resulting mask is applied to the hair, a light massage is done at the hair roots.
- The mask is left for half an hour, after which it is washed off with shampoo and warm water.
Hair mask to restore shine
Kefir is an excellent tool for preparing a variety of homemade masks. It is fermented milk products that give hair shine, softness, silkiness.
The mask contains the following components:
- kefir - 1 tbsp.;
- starch - 1 tbsp. l.;
- egg - 1 pc.;
- black bread - 1 slice.
The mask is prepared according to the following scheme:
- First, the egg white is beaten until a firm foam is obtained.
- The whipped protein is added to kefir.
- The rest of the ingredients are added and the mixture is mixed until a homogeneous mass is obtained.
- The mask is applied to the hair and spread over the entire length.
- After 40 minutes, you need to wash your hair with warm water and shampoo.
Mask for the treatment of split ends
If there is a problem with split ends, nourishing masks should be done regularly. Of course, stray hairs will not stick together, but you can prevent such a nuisance in the future.
To prepare the mask, you need to take:
- mint leaves - 1 tsp;
- starch (corn or potato) - 50 g;
- milk (warm) - 125 ml.
The mask is prepared as follows:
- All components are mixed until a homogeneous mass is obtained.
- The mixture is applied to the hair and evenly distributed over the entire length.
- After 40 minutes, the product is washed off with warm water; it is not necessary to use shampoo.
Starch helps maintain the beauty and health of your hair. To do this, you need to use it correctly and regularly, but not more than twice a week, otherwise you can severely ruin your own hair.