Features of the operation of a septic tank in winter, the principles and rules of its insulation. Recommendations for the preservation of the structure during the cold period of the year and measures for its defrosting in case of icing.
Installation of insulating blind area
If you need to perform quick thermal insulation of a septic tank when winter has already begun, a simple method can help out, which we will now tell you about. Its main task is to prevent freezing of effluents in the first two chambers of the septic tank. Such insulation is performed in a temporary and capital version.
If the soil is not frozen and you can plan it, the site should be leveled above the septic tanks and sheets of foam should be laid on it in such a way that the width of the planned blind area is greater than the vertical soil freezing. For example, if the ground freezes by 180 cm, then 2 widths of the blind area must be laid on both sides of the chamber. As a result, a platform of 4x4 m foam sheets should be obtained. The thickness of the insulation in this case does not matter. The area covered is important. With a temporary version of the blind area, the sheets of penoplex can be pressed down with boards and bricks.
If possible, it is better to insulate a septic tank with penoplex in a capital version. Otherwise, you will have to return to this problem every year. The choice of the size of the blind area is carried out in the same way as in the temporary version. Further work should be done as follows:
- Above the septic tank, you need to select soil to a depth of 20-30 cm and make a sandy substrate in the recess.
- After that, lay the penoplex on the sand, connecting its sheets to each other using the factory grooves located at the ends of the products.
- Then the insulation must be covered with a ten-centimeter layer of sand in order to avoid damage to the material.
- Geotextiles are laid on top.
- On top of it, you can perform crushed stone preparation, concreting, laying tiles or create any other hard surface that will allow you to move freely over it without compromising thermal insulation.
Preservation of a septic tank for the winter
If in the cold season a visit to the country residence is not planned, it is advisable to preserve the septic tank closer to winter. This will help reduce the impact of freezing soil on the walls of the structure. It is very important to remember that before preservation, you must not completely drain all the liquid from the chambers, by analogy with heating radiators. Otherwise, when snow melts in spring, groundwater can push the septic tank out of the pit in accordance with the teachings of Archimedes. Another option is also possible: the container may burst from ground movements. Septic tank conservation can be ordered from a specialized company. This will give confidence that all work will be carried out faultlessly and the functionality of the structure will quickly recover in spring. But you can carry out such a procedure yourself by studying the instructions of the septic tank manufacturer.
The sequence of actions is as follows:
- First, you must turn off the power supply of the septic tank with a button on the body and disconnect the air pumps. There are no special problems at this point, since all elements are conveniently located in the tank compartment and are fastened with special fasteners.
- Then it is necessary to drain the waste liquid by 3/4 of the chamber volume or add water if there is not enough water.
- At the last stage of work, the septic tank cover and the pipeline must be insulated.
Important! A month before the conservation of the septic tank, it is recommended to pour a drug with aerobic bacteria into its system. They will help remove hard sediment from the bottom of the tank that smells bad.If the conservation procedure was carried out correctly, the temperature in the tank will be positive in winter, which will help reduce the risks of many problems associated with the operability of the autonomous sewage system.
The subtleties of defrosting a septic tank
If the measures for warming or preserving the septic tank turned out to be ineffective for any reason and it still froze, blocking access to the benefits of plumbing, there are three main ways to restore the system's performance.
The simplest of them is to pour boiling water into the system through a plumbing fixture. You just need to do this carefully so that the sink or toilet does not burst from the sudden heat. The hot water will gradually melt the ice plugs in the pipes, and the work of the autonomous sewage system will resume.
If this method of defrosting did not help, you can ensure the drainage of sewage into the septic tank by using a saline solution or other similar composition to remove ice in the pipes. It can melt the ice in the highway and restore it to work.
The third method requires investment. If all previous attempts were unsuccessful, you need to buy and install a heating cable in the septic tank. With its help, a positive temperature is maintained in the sewage system in winter, allowing the septic tank to function.
How to insulate a septic tank - look at the video:
The set of measures given in the article for insulating a septic tank for the winter will allow you to avoid disruptions in its operation throughout the year and will extend the life of the structure.