Composition and calorie content of cod liver. Useful properties and contraindications for use. Selection rules and features of the use of the product in cooking. Interesting Facts.
Cod liver is a healthy, satisfying and tasty product. It is put on the table as a snack, served as an independent dish, added to salads and other dishes. The liver is rich in valuable substances that can strengthen and support the body, but there are also contraindications to it. Let's take a closer look at this product.
Composition and calorie content of cod liver
In the photo cod liver
Cod is considered one of the most important commercial fish, and its liver has concentrated the maximum benefit. This product is recognized as gourmet, it is consumed in small portions. But even a small piece gives a feeling of satiety, since it contains high concentration of fat-soluble vitamins and minerals.
The calorie content of cod liver per 100 g of product is 613 kcal, of which:
- Proteins - 4, 2 g;
- Fats - 65.7 g;
- Carbohydrates - 1, 2 g;
- Water - 26 g.
Vitamins per 100 g:
- Vitamin A - 4400 mcg;
- Retinol - 4.4 mg;
- Vitamin B1 - 0.05 mg;
- Vitamin B2 - 0.41 mg;
- Vitamin B6 - 0.23 mg;
- Vitamin B9 - 110 mcg;
- Vitamin C - 3.4 mg;
- Vitamin D - 100 mcg;
- Vitamin E - 8, 8 mg;
- Vitamin PP - 2, 7 mg;
- Niacin - 1.8 mg
Cod liver contains a record amount of vitamin A. 100 g of the product contains 488.9% of the daily value of this element.
Vitamin D also breaks all records: it is enough to eat 10 g of a delicacy per day to gain the norm.
Minerals per 100 g:
- Potassium - 110 mg;
- Calcium - 35 mg;
- Magnesium - 50 mg;
- Sodium - 720 mg;
- Sulfur - 42 mg;
- Phosphorus - 230 mg;
- Chlorine - 1015 mg;
- Iron - 1.9 mg;
- Cobalt - 65 mcg;
- Manganese - 0.21 mg;
- Copper - 12,500 mcg;
- Molybdenum - 14 mcg;
- Nickel - 14 mcg.
The most significant are indicators of copper and cobalt. Enough 8 g of cod liver to replenish the daily rate of copper, 15 g - to replenish the reserves of cobalt.
Essential amino acids per 100 g:
- Omega-3 fatty acids - 16, 51 g;
- Omega-6 fatty acids - 1, 856 g.
The cod liver also contains sugar - 1, 2 g per 100 g of product. It contains cholesterol - 250 mg (per 100 g).
It's important to know! The recommended daily intake refers to the average rate necessary to ensure the normal functioning of the body.
Useful properties of cod liver
The benefits of cod liver have been known since ancient times. Thanks to the most valuable composition, the product affects the body in a complex way, strengthening and healing various systems:
- Anti-inflammatory effect… Due to the high content of omega-3 fatty acids, the liver helps to reduce the production of prostaglandin. Therefore, the product helps a speedy recovery. Vitamins A and D also contribute to the elimination of inflammatory processes. The first is a powerful antioxidant. By reducing oxidative stress, it inhibits inflammation. Thanks to the above benefits, cod liver is an effective treatment for arthritis. It serves as an alternative to pharmaceutical drugs - non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs.
- Strengthening the heart and blood vessels… Polyunsaturated fatty acids prevent the development of cardiovascular diseases, normalize blood cholesterol levels. The use of the product will help get rid of arrhythmias and lower blood pressure.
- Cancer prevention… The delicacy has an antiproliferative and proapoptotic effect on cells. In simple terms, cod liver prevents the formation of cancerous tumors and supports the body in the fight against them.
- Prevention of diabetes, reducing the risk of serious complications from this disease… Vital fats help control insulin resistance. The product is also involved in the regulation of blood sugar levels. If a patient is diagnosed with diabetes, thanks to the use of the liver, the development of complications, for example, pathologies of the excretory system, can be prevented.
- Brain nutrition… All the same fatty acids improve brain function, which is especially important in childhood and old age (in order to avoid senile regression). Regular consumption of the product guarantees a good concentration of attention. It promotes the development of memory.
- Strengthening the skeletal system… The effect is achieved thanks to vitamin D, of which the delicacy is very rich. Therefore, it is extremely useful for children during the growth and development of the skeleton. With the help of a delicious cod liver, you can get a daily intake of calciferol and ladies on the eve of menopause. Some doctors even recommend including such a meal in the menu for athletes who constantly load the body to the maximum. It will be useful during the recovery period after injury, fracture.
- Gastrointestinal tract support… Possible due to cytoprotective action. The product helps to improve the condition and recovery from gastritis. Nicotinic acid also serves as a prophylactic agent against gastrointestinal diseases.
- Improving reproductive health… Moreover, there is a benefit from cod liver for both women and men. A delicacy is very valuable during pregnancy, as it supports the normal production of sex hormones. It is doubly useful to use in preparation for conception. Since it will enrich the body with folic acid, it will replenish the reserves of vitamins that both mother and fetus will need. The product supports the ovaries by regulating testicular function. The complex of substances contained in the liver is extremely important for the healthy functioning of the adrenal glands, pituitary gland and hypothalamus. This, in turn, has a beneficial effect on fertility and libido. Men note how cod liver dishes help to improve potency. They initiate testosterone production, improve sperm quality and have a positive effect on sperm motility.
- Improving the condition of skin and hair… Vitamin A starts the processes of cell regeneration, reduces the size of the sebaceous glands, which leads to the normalization of sebum production. Polyunsaturated fatty acids are extremely important for the nutrition of hair follicles. The strands receive support, thanks to which they become strong, the problem of split ends goes away.
Separately, it should be noted that cod liver rich in vitamin D is useful even for young babies who are breastfed. If a mother indulges herself periodically and moderately with a delicacy, the baby also receives the most valuable substances with milk. All of them together help to improve the mental and physical development of the baby.
It is also worth remembering that vitamin A is extremely necessary for the organs of vision. Therefore, the liver is recommended for the maintenance of the eyes. It can and should be added to the diet of schoolchildren, office workers who spend all day at the computer.
Contraindications and harm to the cod liver
Despite such a valuable composition, not everyone can eat this delicacy. It is worth getting acquainted not only with the benefits of cod liver, but also with the harm that it can cause.
First of all, it is important to know that the product must not be abused! An excessive excess of various substances that are contained in it in huge quantities is fraught with health problems. For example, it is capable of provoking hypervitaminosis, which is more dangerous than a lack of vitamins. Excess fat leads to obesity, which in turn negatively affects the activity of almost all organs and systems.
Cod liver is harmful to people with diseases of the liver and kidneys, gallbladder.It is used with caution in case of hypotension, since the product causes a decrease in pressure. It is not recommended to add this food to the menu for urolithiasis.
It is important to know that the delicacy thins the blood! Therefore, it is contraindicated when taking anticoagulants. For the same reason, it should not be taken by pregnant women without consulting a doctor. Precisely these recommendations are given to asthmatics and people who drink drugs for hypertension.
Most likely, the specialist will advise you to allow yourself a delicious snack only occasionally, without overusing it. But it is still better to consult individually: only a doctor is able to make an informed decision, knowing about all the characteristics of the patient.
Cod liver can be harmful to the body if it is a poor quality product. Various canned food is on sale, and not all manufacturers are responsible for the production of this delicacy. Sometimes the liver contaminated with mercury, polychlorinated biphenyls and biphenyls (PCBs and PCBs) gets into the jars. This organ acts as a filter in the body of fish, respectively, it accumulates hazardous substances, which as a result end up on the table.
To minimize the risks of unpleasant consequences, it is recommended to serve a delicacy to the table by draining the oil from the jar. Thanks to this, you can get rid of excess fat.
It is worth mentioning separately that during the period of gestation, women should use the liver very moderately, since retinol is present in large quantities in it. An excess of this fat-soluble vitamin negatively affects the development of the child, up to the occurrence of various pathologies and deviations.
How to choose cod liver?
In order not to wonder if cod liver is good for you, it is better to give preference to proven brands. It is important to know that the highest quality canned food is harvested directly at sea. The manufacturer will certainly make a note about this on the jar. If the liver is first delivered to land and then canned at the factory, it automatically belongs to the first grade.
The following signs serve as evidence that the bank is a perfect delicacy:
- The product is made in the Arkhangelsk or Murmansk regions - these are the regions of the cod habitat;
- There are no defects, dents on the bank;
- Shelf life and date of manufacture are stamped from the inside out;
- The composition contains only liver and salt, no additives such as stabilizers, milk powder;
- There is a note on the packaging that the product complies with GOST.
A quality product does not require the addition of oil. If it is present, then the issue of quality is in doubt. In addition, due to excess oil, the delicacy turns out to be too fat, because the liver itself contains a large amount of fats.
After opening the canned food, you should carefully examine the contents. The liver should occupy at least 85%. The rest is taken away to fat, which should be transparent.
The delicacy is very tender and juicy in consistency. Let's admit color in light shades - from white to yellowish-brown. If there is a dark liver in the jar, in which bitterness is clearly felt, it is better not to experiment - this is clearly a product of improper condition.
In order not to get poisoned, you cannot store opened canned food for a long time! The properties of cod liver are preserved literally for 1-2 days. It is better to place it on a shelf closer to the wall, away from the door. It is important to avoid direct sunlight. Also, for storage, the delicacy should be transferred to a glass jar and closed with a lid.
Features of the use of cod liver in cooking
This product is very peculiar, so it is worth adhering to certain rules for combining it with other ingredients. The easiest way to recognize the true pure taste of a delicacy is if it is not mixed with anything. It has fishy notes, and the consistency is extremely delicate, buttery. It can be spread on bread and served like that.
However, you can make a delicious cod liver salad, pâté, side dish, or even baked goods. First of all, the product is well set off by a variety of greens - parsley, mint, celery, dill. Dishes are interesting in their own way, where this delicacy is side by side with cucumber and carrots, other juicy vegetables.
If you want to add piquancy, you can add garlic and ginger, onions to the dish. It is worth paying attention to recipes with cod liver, which also include lemon. This citrus fruit favorably sets off the taste of fish and seafood, and this delicacy is no exception. Alternatively, use lime.
You can combine the ingredient with olives, green peas, mushrooms. Elementary and very tasty - serving with potatoes, which are better to boil or bake, but not to fry, since the calorie content of the cod liver should be taken into account.
Separately, it should be mentioned that it is better to try any recipes with the addition of oil carefully, since the product itself is very fatty. However, this is sometimes acceptable. For example, a delicacy sounds interesting in combination with butter. Olive and sesame seeds are also used.
Interesting facts about cod liver
Although in ancient times, scientists could not thoroughly investigate the composition of the product, name all the vitamins in the cod liver, the legendary Avicenna often prescribed the delicacy as a medicine. Even then, he especially noted that he brings great benefits to vision.
Curiously, this product is not only acceptable, but even recommended for ladies who want to lose weight. Because the liver of cod with omega unsaturated fats provides the necessary support to the body, without leading to the formation of fat depots. The dish guarantees a feeling of fullness, the fats it contains are quickly absorbed. Moreover, it helps to improve metabolic processes, and this, in turn, can even lead to a decrease in cellulite. True, only on condition of moderate consumption of the delicacy!
In particular, cod and its liver are held in high esteem by the inhabitants of the northern regions. The fact is that in such places it is extremely difficult to get all the necessary nutrients and minerals with vitamins from food. Often, the inhabitants of the North suffer from an acute shortage of vitamin D, which, as you know, is produced by the body under the influence of sunlight. Therefore, cod liver for men, women and children becomes a source of vital elements.
By the way, in Murmansk there is even a sculpture dedicated to this fish. A monument was erected on the main square of the city, which depicts cod in real proportions - 1 m 20 cm long. The fish is honored with such an honor, as the Pomors treat it with great respect. The townspeople themselves came up with how the composition would look. More than 20 sketches were proposed in total.
Icelanders are called a nation raised on cod. A very unusual dish is prepared from the liver here: the stomach of a fish is stuffed with offal. Next, the workpiece is boiled and eaten as a kind of sausage.
Why is cod liver useful - see the video:
Having got acquainted with an incredibly tasty and very nutritious product given to man by nature, and having learned how to choose cod liver, the most important thing is to remember the sense of proportion. This is the case when abuse can cause real harm to health!