Why is bird cherry jam useful and to whom is it contraindicated? Cooking recipes. Baking with bird cherry jam.
Bird cherry jam is a healthy dessert that consists of berries cooked in sweet syrup. The preparation made from red bird cherry is especially valuable, the white and black varieties are also rich in useful components, but to a somewhat lesser extent. Ideally, if the berries are harvested in the forest, despite the fact that wild forest bird cherry is smaller than domesticated, and in order to collect it in sufficient quantities, you need a lot of patience, it is able to bring more benefits to the body. However, bird cherry jam is not only a benefit, but also a great taste. Dessert can be eaten with tea, or can be used in the preparation of various sweet dishes.
Composition and calorie content of bird cherry jam
In the photo, cherry jam
Bird cherry jam is one of the low-calorie desserts that can be easily added even to the diet.
The calorie content of bird cherry jam is 200-250 kcal per 100 g, the exact figure depends on its type
It is also worth noting that this energy value is given for the classic recipe for bird cherry jam for the winter, which assumes a 1: 1 ratio, that is, the same amount of sugar is taken per 1 kg of berries, if you take less of it, then the calorie content will also be lower.
As for the composition, the dessert is a source of carbohydrates, but contains almost no proteins or fats. And, again, the amount of carbohydrates is determined by the amount of sugar used. The more of it, the more carbohydrates. This is the reason why, despite the low calorie content, it is important to limit the presence of dessert on the menu, since the traditional diet is already oversaturated with carbohydrates.
If we talk about micronutrients, it is important to note that the chemical composition of bird cherry differs in many respects from other berries. Usually they are a source of vitamin C, in bird cherry there is not much of it, but the berry is very rich in vitamin A and beta-carotene - 260 and 280% of the daily value per 100 g, respectively.
The fruits also contain manganese, copper, zinc, iron, cobalt, useful organic acids, essential oils, resins, gums, antioxidant components, dietary fiber, flavonoids, tannins, phytoncides.
In general, bird cherry is a real storehouse of valuable vitamins, minerals and other natural components important for our health. Delicious bird cherry jam, of course, contains slightly less of all these useful elements than the berry itself - cooking and storage do their job, but they are still preserved in significant quantities.
Useful properties of bird cherry jam
The useful properties of the workpiece are largely determined by the preparation method. If we talk about classic cooking, then the five-minute recipe will be the most valuable for health, in it the berries are boiled for a short time and lose less nutrients.
A separate line is bird cherry jam without cooking, it is prepared like this: the berries are crushed, mixed with sugar to taste and frozen. Such a product retains the most benefits.
The main useful properties of the dessert:
- Beneficial effect on skin and mucous membranes… Due to the presence of a large amount of vitamin A in the composition, by the way, the most rich in them is red bird cherry jam, this dessert is able to improve the condition of the skin and mucous membranes - to prevent dryness, to fight the problems of the epidermis.
- Improving vision… Vitamin A is also essential for vision. It is especially important when constantly working at a computer, it allows you to relieve stress from the eyes and thus reduces the likelihood of developing ophthalmic diseases.
- Strengthening immunity… The berries contain important components for the functioning of the immune system, which not only contributes to the prevention of various diseases, but also the treatment of certain infections. Berry jam is especially important to support the treatment of colds due to the diaphoretic and antipyretic effect, as well as in the treatment of intestinal and genital infections.
- Anesthetic effect… Bird cherry has a mild antispasmodic effect, and therefore can play the role of an anesthetic. This works best for cramps in the digestive tract.
- Beneficial effect on the digestive system… The presence of dietary fiber and tannins in the composition allows you to adjust the bowel function properly. In case of diarrhea, the dessert exhibits anchoring properties; in case of constipation, on the contrary, it helps to improve peristalsis.
It should be noted that these are only the main useful properties of bird cherry. A huge variety of healing effects are attributed to the berry. It is believed that it is even capable of improving the functioning of the nervous system - it tones up well, invigorates, lifts the mood, helps to fight excessive emotionality, as well as the heart and blood vessels - it has a particularly positive effect on the work of small vessels, they become more durable, elastic and permeable.
Recipes with bird cherry jam
This is a wonderful independent dessert, put it in a beautiful vase, serve it for tea with pancakes, and the guests will already be satisfied. However, you can make it an ingredient in baked goods and make an interesting cake, for example.
Several recipes with bird cherry jam:
- Sour cream cake… In a bowl, mix sour cream (1 cup), jam (1 cup), add eggs (5 pieces), then flour (1, 5 cups) and soda (7 g), quenched with vinegar. Combine all the ingredients well until smooth, you can use a mixer. Pour the dough into a mold, bake for about half an hour at 180 ° C. Remove, cool, cut the dough into two cakes. To make the cream, whisk sour cream (1 cup) with powdered sugar (1/2 cup). Spread the first cake with most of the cream, cover with the second. Top with the remaining cream and then decorate as desired. The cake needs to soak overnight.
- Pie with berry sour cream… Dissolve yeast (1 tsp) in warm milk (100 ml), after 10-15 minutes add eggs (3 pieces), sugar (200 g), salt (pinch), pre-melted butter (100 g). Pour in flour (550-650 g), knead the dough, leave it in a warm place for 30-50 minutes. Bake the dough at 180 ° C for 40 minutes. Meanwhile, whisk the sour cream (200 g) with the sugar (50 g). Cool the pie a little, put the jam (1 cup) on it, and sour cream on top.
- Rustic bird cherry pies… Pour the yeast (5-6 g) with warm milk (1 cup), after a while add flour (500 g) and sugar (3-4 tablespoons), knead the dough, then let it stand for about half an hour in the warmth. Divide the dough into parts, roll each one out, put jam (200 g) on it, pinch. Bake the pies for half an hour at 180 ° C.
- Shortcrust pastry pie with kefir… Mix flour (2 cups) with baking soda (1 tsp), softened butter (250 g), kefir (1/2 cup) and egg (1 piece). Substitute the dough, divide into 2 parts - one larger, the other smaller, the approximate proportions are 2/3 and 1/3. Roll out most of it, coat with jam (1 cup). From the second part, cut into nice strips and make a pie rack. Bake for 40-50 minutes at 180 ° C.
Note! Bird cherry jam is perfect for a beautiful presentation of homemade ice cream, porridge, puddings and other desserts.
Interesting facts about bird cherry jam
Vitamin A, which is so rich in jam, is lost during cooking, but only by 15-30%, but storage also destroys the valuable component, so the workpiece should be eaten as quickly as possible.
When making bird cherry jam with a bone, it is important to handle the berries very carefully so that they remain whole and beautiful, otherwise you will get a strange mass with crumpled fruits and seeds floating separately.
If you want to bake a truly colorful cake, use not only bird cherry jam, but also flour from this berry. Our great-grandmothers prepared it themselves and actively used it for baking, and today you can buy it in any large supermarket.
Watch a video about bird cherry jam:
Bird cherry jam is a delicious dessert that can also benefit your body. It is good both for serving with tea, and as a culinary ingredient for baking pies. However, do not forget that the product, like everything else, has contraindications, read them before you eat dessert.