What is PVC film and its distinctive features, the advantages and disadvantages of the material, how to prepare a pool for pasting, basic work, final finishing. Finishing the pool with PVC film is a time-tested technology that has gained recognition due to the promptness of such work and the relatively loyal cost of the material. Consider in more detail the advantages and disadvantages of the insulator, as well as the technology of its installation.
Features of the use of PVC films for the pool
When deciding on the construction of a pool, it is important not only to determine its location, take into account where the groundwater passes, decide what shape the reservoir will be, but also choose what material its inner side will be finished with.
Tiles, mosaics and PVC films are offered to consumers' attention as a finishing material. If it will take up to 3 months to install the first two, then it will take a short period of time to install a film coating, and even a non-professional can do it, following our instructions and recommendations. If we take into account the decorative properties of PVC films, then they are inferior to tiles and mosaics, but not everyone wants to make a work of art out of the pool, the main asset of the film material is waterproofing qualities and reliability. The film undergoes a special treatment that prevents microorganisms from growing on the surface of the water. This allows the pool to be cleaned less frequently. The PVC film for the pool also has other names - "liner" or "alcorplan" (manufacturer's name). It contains polyester fiber with added stabilizer that protects against the damaging effects of ultraviolet rays. An acrylic layer is also added to the composition of the material, which gives it a shiny, attractive appearance.
This material is widely used for interior decoration of both outdoor and indoor pools. 60% of internal and 90% of outdoor reservoirs are finished with a liner.
Customers are offered two types of film:
- Plain PVC Film for Swimming Pool… It is a synthetic material based on plasticized PVC. The liner is produced in rolls, its width is as follows - 1, 6 m, 2, 4 m and 6, 8 m, the length has one size - 25 meters. One roll is enough to cover a 40 m pond2… The film thickness is 0.5 mm, 0.8 mm, 1.0 mm, 1.2 mm. For pools with shallow bowls, use a film of 0.5 mm or 0.8 mm. For deeper ones, respectively, 1.0 mm and 1.2 mm. Both smooth and non-slip versions are commercially available. Corrugated material is used for finishing the steps, as well as the bottom in small areas of the bowl for the safety of bathers, especially children. The liner tolerates temperature fluctuations well and therefore is used to cover outdoor ponds. In addition to the monochromatic film, the attention of consumers is offered materials with patterns imitating tiles, marble and even mosaics. The cost of such a coating is slightly more expensive than a smooth one.
- Butyl rubber film… Possesses the following qualities: durability, as well as a significant service life. This film is well cut and adhered, suitable for large ponds where high strength is required. The material perfectly tolerates temperature fluctuations, which means that you can work with it even in a harsh winter. It is produced in the following sizes: thickness - 1 mm, width - 3.05 m, 6, 1 m, 9, 15 m, 12, 2 m, 15, 25 m. Roll length - 15, 25 m, 30, 5 m, 45, 75 m, and 61, 0 m.The double complexity of the film increases its strength and durability.
Small pool owners can be offered the first, more economical type of film. For owners of large and relief structures, it is necessary to choose the second, more durable and expensive option. When choosing a PVC film for pasting for pools, you need to take into account its two important properties: elasticity, that is, the ability to stretch well and not lose its properties, as well as the thickness of the material, which determines the service life of the coating.
Liner is a very durable material, it is suitable both for installation on new pool bowls and for renovation of old ones. The relatively low price makes it affordable for buyers and provides high waterproofing properties of the pool.
Advantages and Disadvantages of PVC Film
The service life of the film coating is up to 10 years, which is much less than covering with tiles or mosaics. But the installation of such a finish is done quickly, it is easily repaired and, if necessary, replaced by another, while changing the appearance of the pool.
The main advantages include the following:
- Easy to assemble.
- It is not affected by the sun, frost, ice, therefore it is used for outdoor swimming pools.
- Acceptable price for a wide range of customers.
- Possesses universal properties, it is used for bowls made of any materials (brick, concrete, stone, etc.).
- Long service life.
- Prevents the development of microorganisms.
Disadvantages of PVC film:
- Damaged by a cutting object.
- It is destroyed by direct contact with chlorine.
- The liner has a limited selection of colors.
Swimming pool waterproofing technology with PVC film
Before waterproofing the pool with PVC film, prepare the tools that will be needed for its fastening: a welding machine with nozzles, a metal ruler of a maximum length, a dyeing string, sharp scissors. In addition, you will need the following materials: foil, backing, fastening strip, elastic adhesive, screws.
To make the technologically correct lining of the reservoir, it is necessary that the surface of the bowl is flawlessly smooth. If there are small adhesions of plaster on the walls and at the bottom, they must be removed using ordinary tools for this - a spatula, emery cloth. If there are potholes on the surface, they must be putty. The brick bowl of the pools is first plastered, then sanded, concrete - putty. It is necessary to attach importance to the corners and sides, here all materials must be especially well connected to the surface.
At the stage of preparation, it is necessary to make sure that the embedded parts are installed flush with the surface of the bowl and have sealing flanges. If these parts are recessed, it will be difficult to cover the pool with PVC foil. Usually, flanges are made of plastic or steel, they are equipped with a rubber gasket that does not react to the effects of chlorine. Screw connections make it possible to hermetically fasten flanges with embedded parts.
The PVC film is also of great importance for the restoration of reservoirs faced with tiles, which have lost their waterproofing qualities. Here the liner is laid directly on the tile or mosaic finish. If the surface is damaged, it is necessary to dismantle the coating, level it, and then lay the film material.
Laying the underlay and fixing strip
The PVC foil lining of the pool usually begins by placing a backing material under the liner and attaching an anchor strip. The underlay material is used to protect the film from contact directly with the pool surface.
On the sides of the reservoir, the substrate is mounted between the concrete wall and the metal fastening strip, to which the film itself is then attached. The edge of the material must be hanging down.When fastening, it is necessary to avoid overlapping material and, accordingly, the appearance of thickenings.
On the base of the reservoir, the substrate is spread arbitrarily. When the pool has embedded elements, holes must be cut in the backing material equal to the size of the flange.
In the event that it is attached to a ladder, special materials, such as foil, should be used, which protect the substrate from burning out when welding to the fastening strip.
The fixing strip is a tape made of metal covered with plastic, where the PVC film will be attached in the future. Strip length - 2 m, thickness - 2 mm. Fastening is done using screws, with an interval of 10-15 cm.
If the reservoir is of a complex structure, then the fastening strip must be installed at its bottom. If the base of the pool is pyramidal, then it is fixed to all edges. In a situation where the base is in the form of steps, the fastening strip is installed as on the sides.
If there is a ladder in the pool, a fixing angle should be used to attach the film. In this case, all corners of the structure will be covered with corners. The most difficult part is securing the fastening strip for rounded pools. Moreover, the less the roundness is, the more difficult it is to fix it. Additional hardware costs may be required.
Installation instructions for PVC film
Before gluing the PVC pool film, prepare the welding machine, which is equipped with various attachments. The most favorable temperature regime for welding the material is +15 degrees and above. Welding work will be carried out more efficiently if the air temperature is high.
To preserve the hermetic qualities of the film and give it an aesthetic appearance, it is necessary to observe the welding technology of the material and prevent debris from getting on the sheets to be welded, correctly cut the film coating in order to prevent unnecessary waste of material.
Installation of film material is performed as follows:
- Laying the coating begins from the bottom of the reservoir. When installing, PVC films recede from the walls of the pool by 1-2 cm, making an overlap of 5-8 cm. If the bottom of the reservoir is of a complex shape, it is spread and given the opportunity to lie down.
- Before starting welding, check the sheets for debris and other contamination.
- Starting the welding of surfaces, you should grab the sheets, for this they use a low temperature. The tack is made so that the panels to be welded do not change their position, since in the process they can move, and then folds appear that cannot be smoothed out when the pool is filled with water.
- With large voltage drops, it is necessary to monitor the uniform heating of the surfaces to be welded.
- When welding the PVC film for the pool, care must be taken to ensure that no carbon deposits form. When it appears, it is removed using a metal brush.
- After installing the film on the bottom, they begin to place the sheets on the vertical parts of the reservoir, making an overlap of 5-8 cm.In the area of the wall-bottom, wall-wall seams in the corner, an overlap of 15 cm is maintained.PVC film is laid on the vertical parts of the reservoir by welding to the fastening strip. Here, too, before welding, it is necessary to weld it.
- Welding the pool corners is done last.
Note! When making a wall-bottom seam, it must be taken into account that the stretching of the film coating occurs in the horizontal plane. In this regard, it is recommended to move the sheet away from the edge of the pool by 3 cm along the entire bottom.
Treatment of seams with a sealant
After the end of welding, it is necessary to check the seams, whether some part of them has been missed somewhere, whether a marriage was not allowed during welding. Then it is recommended to process them all with the so-called sealant. It is a liquid that hardens in air, but remains soft during hardening. It is the same color as the base material.The sealant is distributed using a special oiler. When applying the substance to vertical seams, work must be done from top to bottom. Then he must be allowed to dry for at least 30 minutes, after which you can pour water into the pool. After installing the film coating, you can fill the structure with water, always warm, about 40 degrees, approximately to a height of 30-40 cm. Next, the flanges of the embedded elements are placed. At the same time, holes are made in the film, ensuring the necessary tension of its sheets. Once the flanges and other embedded parts are in place, the pool can be filled to full level.
How to glue PVC film for the pool - watch the video:
The pool is now fully operational! It's time to enjoy your vacation on the shore of your reservoir.