Honey mustard sauce: main ingredients and variations. How is this dressing useful, what are the contraindications to its use? Simple rules for making sauce, recipes with it.
Honey mustard sauce is a dressing for various dishes, usually consisting of three ingredients - honey, table mustard and olive oil. The sauce is extremely useful, because its composition is a combination of products that are very valuable for health. It is also definitely very tasty, and it can be adapted for a sweet tooth, adding more honey, and for lovers of "thrill", with an emphasis on mustard. Another indisputable advantage of this dressing is ease of preparation, only 15-20 minutes - and the aromatic sauce is ready. And, of course, one cannot fail to say about its versatility - the sauce is best suited for poultry, but this is by no means its only purpose.
Composition and calorie content of honey mustard sauce
The classic composition of the sauce is honey, mustard and extra virgin olive oil, taken in equal proportions. In one case or another, as we said above, deviations are possible, however, we will analyze the content of biological substances in the product on the basis of a traditional recipe.
The calorie content of honey mustard sauce is 548 kcal per 100 grams, of which:
- Proteins - 1, 9 g;
- Fat - 46.6 g;
- Carbohydrates - 30, 1 g;
- Water - 20 g.
Note that fats in this case are vegetable in nature, which means that in the body they are converted to fatty acids with free carbon bonds, namely mono- and polyunsaturated. These acids have a beneficial effect on the body, help to realize many important functions and save from a number of diseases. So in this case we are talking about fats, which should not be feared. However, the value of the dressing lies not only in healthy fats; other substances are also present in the honey-mustard sauce.
Macronutrients per 100 g
- Potassium - 12 mg;
- Calcium - 4, 67 mg;
- Magnesium - 1 mg;
- Sodium - 3.33 mg;
- Phosphorus - 6, 7 mg;
- Sulfur - 0.33 mg;
- Chlorine - 6, 33 mg;
Microelements per 100 g
- Iron - 0.4 mg;
- Iodine - 0, 67 mg;
- Manganese - 0.0113 mg;
- Cobalt - 0.1 mcg;
- Copper - 19.67 mcg;
- Fluorine - 33, 33 mcg;
- Zinc - 0.0313 mg;
Vitamins per 100 g
- Vitamin B1 - 0, 003 mg;
- Vitamin B2 - 0.01 mg;
- Vitamin B5 - 0.033 mg;
- Vitamin B6 - 0.033 mg;
- Vitamin B9 - 5 mcg;
- Vitamin C - 0.67 mg;
- Vitamin E - 4.033 mg;
- Vitamin H - 0.013 mcg;
- Vitamin PP, NE - 0.41 mg.
Useful properties of honey mustard sauce
We will also analyze the benefits of honey-mustard sauce based on the traditional composition - olive oil, honey, mustard. However, it must be borne in mind that the ingredients must be of high quality (special attention must be paid to the quality of the honey) in order to obtain all of the following beneficial effects:
- Strengthening immunity … First of all, the sauce owes this property to honey. Everyone knows about the properties of the product to stimulate the body's defenses. Consuming 1 tablespoon of honey a day has been shown to reduce the likelihood of developing a cold by 50%. However, even if it was not possible to avoid a cold, honey will help in its treatment. It is noteworthy that it works both as an antibiotic and as an antiviral drug in one person. Olive oil also has an anti-inflammatory effect, the oleic acid in its composition neutralizes the action of proteins that provoke inflammation. Mustard also boasts powerful antimicrobial properties.
- Improving the functioning of the digestive system … Honey is able to relieve many digestive problems, it is especially effective in eliminating constipation, flatulence, bloating, in therapeutic dosages it is even used for the treatment of gastritis and ulcers. Mustard also has a very important effect on the activity of the gastrointestinal tract, suppressing pathogenic flora. Olive oil supplies dietary fiber, which improves peristalsis.
- Cleansing the body … One of the little-known, but very important properties of the bee product is a blood-purifying effect and a stimulating effect on blood vessels. Thus, honey not only cleanses the blood, but also prevents anemia. Olive oil, in turn, is a well-known detoxifier for the liver, it reduces the load on this vital organ and takes some of the work of removing dangerous toxins on itself.
- Beneficial effect on metabolic processes, prevention of obesity … Honey mustard sauce is a great idea for a dietary table. Honey and mustard stimulate metabolic processes and accelerate fat burning. As a source of beneficial fatty acids, olive oil provides faster satiety and prolongs the feeling of fullness.
- Improving the functioning of the nervous system … Honey helps to improve sleep, it triggers more active production of the hormone melatonin, which helps you fall asleep better and ensures a sound sleep throughout the night. Olive oil has been proven to fight depression.
- Reproductive benefits … In this regard, the sauce is useful for both women and men. For the first, it helps to awaken sexual energy, the second to improve potency. The role of an aphrodisiac in this case is played by both honey and mustard.
- Improving the condition of the skin of the face … Honey mustard sauce is a real find for female beauty. Olive oil holds the record for the content of the main beauty vitamins - A and E, which help fight imperfections and promote intense hydration. Honey, in turn, perfectly nourishes the skin and helps to fight the first signs of aging.
- Anti-cancer property … The above vitamin E is effective not only in the fight for female beauty, but also in counteracting free radicals, an excess level of which can trigger abnormal molecular growth and lead to the development of tumors, including malignant ones.
- Help prevent and treat diabetes … Few people know, but with diabetes you have to limit not only the amount of food containing sugar, but also fatty foods. This is due to the fact that insulin works less efficiently in a greasy environment. Nevertheless, we absolutely need fats as a link in the metabolic process. The trade-off is switching to healthy fats, which are abundant in olive oil. Honey, in turn, will become an excellent substitute for refined sugar.
- Strengthening the cardiovascular system … Another benefit of healthy fats is their ability to raise so-called good cholesterol and lower bad cholesterol. This is an excellent prevention of atherosclerosis and, as a result, the development of acute cardiac conditions.
As you can see, honey mustard sauce is not just a culinary delight, but a real medicine. If you make it a habit to eat dishes with this sauce 3-5 times a week, you can count on good health effects, especially if you replace it with store-bought mayonnaise.
Contraindications and harm of honey mustard sauce
Any product, along with useful properties, has a number of contraindications. Honey mustard sauce is no exception: both honey and mustard are products with a pronounced biologically active effect. This means that they will benefit a healthy body, but in the presence of certain diseases, they can harm.
Honey-mustard sauce can be harmful when:
- Digestive system diseases - in the presence of minor disturbances in the work of the gastrointestinal tract, honey-mustard sauce can become a medicine and restore a slightly shaken balance, but if we are talking about serious diseases such as ulcers and gastritis, the product must be discarded.
- Tooth problems - honey has been proven to cause tooth decay faster than refined sugar or sweets, and therefore, after consuming it, you need to thoroughly rinse your mouth or brush your teeth for prevention. For those who already have dental problems, it is better to avoid this product altogether.
- Allergy tendencies - honey is considered a highly allergenic product, and therefore, with great care, the sauce should be introduced into the diet for those who are prone to allergic reactions. For the same reason, carefully monitoring the reaction, you need to eat the sauce for pregnant and lactating women, as well as children under 3 years old.
- Diseases of the gallbladder - olive oil stimulates the outflow of bile and can provoke an exacerbation of the disease.
- Diseases of the respiratory tract and kidneys - in the presence of these diseases, mustard, which is part of the sauce, is prohibited.
It is also worth mentioning the importance of the measure: abuse of the product can cause unpleasant symptoms even in an absolutely healthy person. Season dishes with a reasonable amount of sauce and alternate honey-mustard dressing with other healthy ones.
Keep in mind that replacing olive oil with refined vegetable oil will negate all the benefits of the sauce.
Note! If you have serious medical conditions not listed above, it is better to consult with your doctor before introducing the product into the diet. In addition, if you add additional ingredients to the dressing, study their contraindications separately.
How to make honey mustard sauce?
It is not at all difficult to prepare honey-mustard sauce, but it must be borne in mind that only liquid honey is suitable. A natural product for winter, as people say, is candied. If yours is in this state, you should not go to the store for liquid, it will not be natural, you just need to melt the existing one in a water bath. The lower the temperature you can melt honey, the more beneficial properties it will retain.
So, as we already said, there are many varieties of recipes for honey mustard sauce, we will analyze a few:
- Classic sauce … Combine honey (1 tablespoon) with mustard (1 tablespoon), stir well. If you use salt, you need to add salt to the sauce at this stage. Add olive oil (60 ml) in the last step and mix thoroughly.
- Sauce with lemon and spices … To make honey mustard sauce, first combine honey, mustard and lemon (all 1 tablespoon each). Then add a pinch of nutmeg, a clove of garlic crushed under the press, salt to taste. Finally, pour in the oil (50 ml). Stir the dressing thoroughly after each step.
- Ginger sauce … Rinse the lemon well, squeeze the juice from half and remove the zest from the same half with a fine grater. Also rub the ginger root (15 grams). Combine prepared ingredients with honey (25 grams), mustard (15 grams) and minced garlic (2 cloves). Pepper, salt to taste, add oil (60 ml), mix thoroughly.
- Sour cream based … If you want a denser sauce, you can use sour cream instead of olive oil. Combine mustard and honey (15 grams each), chopped garlic (1 clove), add salt, pepper, grated dill seeds to taste. When all the ingredients are well combined, add sour cream (120 grams).
Please note that these are only the most popular sauce recipes, you can experiment and add certain ingredients depending on which dish it will accompany.
Honey Mustard Sauce Recipes
Honey mustard sauce is universal - it is perfect for light original salads, and for various second courses of fish, poultry and meat. In addition, it should be noted that this dressing can act not only as a sauce for the finished dish, but also play the role of a marinade.
Let's take a look at some interesting dishes with honey mustard sauce:
- Chicken nuggets with honey mustard sauce … Cut the chicken breast (700 grams) into small pieces, put in a bowl, cover with cream (100 ml), leave for half an hour. Grind cornflakes (1 cup), add paprika (1 teaspoon) and salt (1/4 teaspoon), if the cereal is not sweet, you can also add sugar (1/2 tablespoon). Drain the cream, pour the seasoned cereal into a bowl of chicken pieces, stir and place the pieces on a baking sheet. Bake in the oven at 180 degrees, eat with honey-mustard sauce.
- Danish sandwich … Cut off a slice of rye bread, lightly brush with butter, pour over with honey-mustard sauce. Now add the arugula, a slice of lightly salted salmon and two slices of herring, as well as the red onion rings and chopped green onions. Garnish with a lemon wedge.
- Original potato side dish … Boil potatoes (400 grams), cut into slices. Fry an apple (1 piece), cut into strips, and leeks (20 grams) in a pan, add green beans (200 grams), simmer for a couple of minutes. Transfer the potatoes to the skillet, stir and turn off the heat. Serve with honey mustard sauce.
- Warm vegetable salad with mackerel … Chop zucchini, eggplant, bell peppers (100 grams each) into large strips, fry with chopped onions (40 grams) in a pan. Season cooked vegetables with salt and pepper to taste, season with oil (40 ml) and balsamic vinegar (40 ml). Cut mackerel (1 piece), wrap in foil and bake - 20 minutes at 180 degrees. Put the prepared vegetables on a plate, add the cherry tomatoes cut in half (100 grams) and lettuce torn by hand (40 grams), put the fish next to it and pour the sauce over the dish.
Note! It is undesirable to subject honey-mustard sauce to long-term storage. Ideally, it should be cooked 2 hours before serving, so the dressing will have time to brew properly, but will not lose vitamins, minerals and will not deteriorate.
Interesting facts about honey mustard sauce
To make the sauce not only tasty, but also healthy, approach the selection of its ingredients as responsibly as possible:
- Butter it is necessary to use, if not olive, then still necessarily unrefined cold pressed. Also, pay attention to the bottle - do not buy the product in a transparent container. Vitamin E, which is rich in any unrefined oil, is oxidized by light and turns from a useful compound to a harmful one.
- Honey it is advisable to buy from a trusted beekeeper who does not feed the bees with sugar. By the way, you can check its quality by a simple experiment: put a little product on a wooden spatula and bring a lighted match to it, good honey will start to melt, bad honey will burn slightly, and the characteristic smell of burnt sugar will appear.
- Concerning mustard, here the problem of choice lies only in the selection of the type of spice. So, if you make it yourself from powder, the taste will turn out to be pronouncedly spicy, but the finished product, as a rule, is softer.
- The best additional additives sour cream, cream, egg yolks, garlic, ginger, soy sauce, lemon juice, various types of vinegars are considered to be used in the sauce. You can also add chopped herbs, vegetables, nuts, etc. to the honey-mustard dressing.
How to make honey mustard sauce - watch the video:
Honey mustard sauce is a rare occasion when incredible health benefits and fantastic taste are combined. Regular use of this dressing to spice up certain dishes is a great healthy habit. However, you need to choose products for making the sauce responsibly. In addition, it is important not to forget about the measure - excessive consumption and ignoring of contraindications can not only nullify the benefits, but also cause harm.