What is a fungus? Why does it appear on the ceiling? Prevention. Elimination of the causes of the appearance. Folk remedies to combat mold. Useful tips and videos. The fungus on the ceiling spoils the appearance of the room and harms the health of the residents of the house. If you do not take any measures to combat, it will lead to irreparable destruction. Performing a few steps will help remove black plaque, get a clean ceiling and a safe room for your health.
What is a fungus?
The fungus that settles in our apartments is called mold. It represents the simplest unicellular organisms that reproduce by spores. This is a very prolific microorganism, therefore spores form wherever moisture persists for a long time. Once in such a favorable environment, microorganisms grow and multiply rapidly. They are inherent in concrete, brick, plaster, tiles.
Causes of the fungus on the ceiling
As mentioned above, mold on the ceiling (floor surface, inside the pores of concrete, plaster, whitewash) is formed due to excess moisture and the presence of moisture. A few weeks of dampness is enough for this and a black spot will appear, which is very difficult to remove, and it will appear again and again. A favorable environment for the settlement of parasitic microorganisms is a stable air temperature from 20 ° C and humidity from 90%.
Preventive measures and elimination of the cause of the appearance of fungus on the ceiling
- Decorate the ceiling with moisture-repellent finishing materials (stretch ceilings, vinyl or glass wallpaper, water-based, latex, acrylic or silicone paints, PVC plates, moisture-resistant plasterboard, plastic lining, slatted and suspended metal ceilings).
- Use high-tech waterproofing materials.
- Check for roof leaks. Possibly water is leaking through the roof. If there is a leak, then repair the roof, otherwise mold will constantly appear.
- Ventilate the room regularly.
- Maintain ventilation systems. Make sure there is good ventilation and air circulation. You can add fans or extractors to the room to ensure the outflow of humid air.
- Monitor the health of the water supply and plumbing.
- Increase natural light. Mold loves poorly lit places. Try to keep windows open to allow sunlight to enter. Add artificial lights as needed.
- Improve insulation. Poor insulation will cause persistent mold growth.
- Condensation contributes to mold growth. It is formed when cold air from the outside meets warm air inside the room against a cold wall. Make an insulating barrier between air of different temperatures, improve the insulation of walls, heating devices, ventilation and air conditioning systems.
- Use a dehumidifier indoors. It will remove moisture from the air that mold loves so much.
- Leave the bathroom doors open and the fan on for 15 minutes after showering. This will remove excess moisture that can cause mold.
- Do not hang damp towels in the room. They will add moisture to the room. Dry them in a bathroom or other area. Do not dry on hangers or chairs.
Preparing to remove fungus from the ceiling
You can remove fungal infections with chemicals and folk remedies. But before starting work, it is necessary to prepare the necessary tools and means.
- Putty knife.
- Sprayer with water.
- A stepladder or high table to reach the ceiling.
- A floor covering to keep it from getting dirty. These can be old sheets, newspapers, or paper.
- Antifungal primer or other solution.
- Brush or roller for applying the product.
Folk remedies to combat mold
The list of folk remedies includes copper sulfate, bleach, bleaches, baking soda, vinegar, and soap. Let's consider each method separately.
Dissolve 100 g of copper sulfate in 10 liters of water. Apply the solution several times to the cleaned surface.
Soda and vinegar
Spread baking soda over the affected area and sprinkle vinegar on it. Treat the ceiling carefully to avoid getting the vinegar in your eyes. Wear rubber gloves to protect your hands.
This method is effective only at the initial stage of the defeat. Dissolve the soap in a little water to get a thick composition. Wipe the mold area with a product. This method does not kill the fungal infection, but only helps to eliminate the external manifestation. Therefore, mold may reappear over time.
Bleach and bleach to clean the toilet or sink
Pour water into a bucket and add bleach. Apply the liquid to the ceiling, wait 2 hours and rinse. For such disinfection, put on a mask so as not to get a chemical burn from chlorinated vapors.
Peroxide is a good alternative to bleach. It is safe and environmentally friendly. Spray 3% peroxide on the mold and wait a couple of hours, then rinse.
This product is suitable for smooth surfaces. In addition, ammonia is a harsh and toxic chemical and therefore does not need to be mixed with bleach. This will generate toxic gas. To clean the ceiling, you can use a mixture of ammonia and water in equal proportions.
Tea tree oil
This is an expensive antibacterial agent. It is safe for people and pets. Prepare a remedy from 1 tsp. butter and 1 tbsp. water.
How to remove fungus from the ceiling - useful tips
- Remove mold as soon as it is discovered. This will avoid permanent damage to your home and adverse health effects. In addition, it is easier to remove it early and it will be less likely to reappear.
- Examine the ceiling covering. A porous ceiling with a textured coating (covered with popcorn, wood, plasterboard) cannot be fully cleaned. The mold will soon grow back. Then you will have to replace the damaged part of the coating.
- Spray the area with the mold and scrape it off with the hard side of a kitchen sponge back and forth.
- Leave the treated ceiling to dry. If there are fans, turn them on. If the weather is warm, then open the windows and ventilate the room.
- Before using any compound, test it on a small, inconspicuous area of the ceiling to make sure it will not damage the finish.
As you can see, the problem of the appearance of the fungus is quite solvable. Although sometimes its solution requires a certain investment of time and money. To learn more about how to get rid of fungus on the ceiling, videos will help you.
How to get rid of mold and mildew on the ceiling?
How to get rid of mold and mildew in the apartment? Cheap and effective!