Stretch canvas is an original and practical method for finishing the ceiling. However, to ensure its durability and aesthetic appearance, it is necessary to properly prepare the surface before installation work. You can even carry out the preparation yourself. First you need to prepare the room for cleaning the ceiling. To do this, it is recommended to take out all the furniture, carpets, remove curtains, curtains, lamps, chandeliers, paintings from it.
Put on work clothes and a headscarf before work. In some cases, you may need a respirator, goggles and rubber gloves. The cleaning process is often very dusty.
From the tools, you need to stock up on a narrow, pointed spatula to remove the old layer, a brush and a roller with a long nap for applying the priming impregnation.
It is also important to find the right primer for your type of ceiling. For interior work, it is recommended to use an acrylic-based deep penetration compound. An antiseptic primer may be required to remove stains and marks.
Methods for cleaning the surface before installing the tension panel
This process includes not only removing the old coating, but also removing grease, soot, rust, mold, and mildew. If traces remain on the ceiling, they will soon appear on the new finish, spoiling its appearance.
The removal of the old layer depends on the type of material:
- Whitewash removal… The procedure consists in abundantly wetting the coating with water, soap and salt solution or adhesive composition. Chalk or limestone finishes will swell with these solutions and can be removed with a sharp trowel. Traditionally, ordinary warm water is used for chalk, and acid-base mixtures for more aggressive and durable lime.
- Removing paint… This process is carried out in two ways. In the first case, a special wash is applied to the surface, which reacts and corrodes the paint. This is an easier process, but requires the use of protective equipment due to the release of toxic fumes. The second method is to beat off a layer of paint with a hammer. This procedure is more dusty and time consuming.
- Wallpaper cleaning… Ceiling wallpaper is denser than wall wallpaper, since it consists of several layers. To remove them, it is enough to soak the surface abundantly with warm water. Wet wallpaper can be easily removed with a sharp metal spatula.
- Dismantling tiles… Removing the ceramic coating takes a lot of time and effort. To do this, use a drill with a special attachment. In some places, you need to beat off the solution with a hammer. As for the polyurethane foam tile, it is easy to remove it with a spatula.
After removing the old finish, you need to inspect the ceiling for stains. You also need to get rid of them. For each type of footprint, an appropriate product must be used:
- Mold, mildew - antiseptic primer.
- Rust - 10% copper sulfate solution.
- Fat - gasoline, alcohol, acetone.
- Soot is a 2% hydrochloric acid solution.
After cleaning the ceiling, wash it with warm water using a foam sponge. This will help get rid of any remaining dust.
Ceiling repair technique for stretch ceiling
Although it is not required to perfectly level the surface, it is worth taking care of sealing large cracks and potholes.
In the process, it is recommended to adhere to the following sequence:
- We tap the ceiling and the joints between the walls with a hammer and a screwdriver.
- If there are voids, we completely clean the cracks from dust.
- Blow out large cracks with polyurethane foam.
- Potholes from 1 cm deep are sealed with a sealant or cement-based putty. For these purposes, we use a narrow spatula, with which we work first across the crack, and then along.
If the house is new, and there is a gap between the floor slabs, then it must also be repaired and subsequently sealed with a bandage using PVA glue.
Ceiling priming before installing the stretch ceiling
This process is one of the most important in preparation for the installation of a stretch ceiling. It is important to choose a deep penetration primer to prevent future mold and mildew.
We carry out priming in the following sequence:
- With a brush we process the joints and corners with a primer impregnation.
- Apply the primer with an overlap along the perimeter of the ceiling with a roller with a soft long pile.
- After the first layer has dried, cover it with the second in the perpendicular direction.
It is necessary to start further work after the primer has dried.
Electrical work before fastening the tensioning web
The selection of lighting elements must be taken seriously. The power of the luminaires must be below 60 W. As for halogen lamps, models with a power below 35 W are suitable for these purposes. LED and energy-saving products are considered optimal for installation in stretch ceilings. They can be used in any capacity. The canvas does not heat up from them.
Ceiling marking rules for attaching a stretch panel
Before proceeding with the marking, it is worth preparing the walls - to clean them of the old finish and level them. Otherwise, dust from this process will settle on the already installed tensioning structure.
After these works, you can start marking the ceiling covering:
- We make marks in the corners using a laser level.
- We connect the points using the building level to form a solid even line around the perimeter of the surface.
- We measure the length of the segment from the resulting line and the ceiling.
- We measure the distance to the upper level of the stretch cover.
- We calculate the height of the "step" by measuring the lower level.
- We measure and transfer the length of the segments from the points to the main line in all corners.
- We connect the points, forming two straight parallel line segments. They must lie in the same plane with the main line.
- We mark all the tiers in this way.
- We transfer from the drawing to the surface of the installation location of the lighting elements and the location of the tiers, if the installation of several levels is supposed.
It is more convenient to mark up with a simple soft pencil. After that, the surface is completely ready for the installation of the tensile structure. How to prepare a ceiling for a stretch canvas - watch the video:
[media = https://www.youtube.com/watch? v = aadLyh0hXNw] Stretch ceilings are a fashionable and practical solution for decorating ceilings in an apartment. However, before installation, you should learn how to prepare the ceiling for a stretch ceiling so that the coating is fixed firmly, does not become covered with fungus, mold and does not deform.