The benefits of flaxseed oil for hair, possible contraindications. The rules for choosing a quality product. Methods of application, recipes with flaxseed oil for hair care. Real reviews.
Flaxseed oil for hair is a natural remedy that can compete with many expensive beauty products. It will always benefit your head of hair, whether you are worried about dandruff, dryness or increased hair loss. But you need to handle oil skillfully, otherwise there is a risk of getting greasy strands with untidy ends and a persistent fishy smell instead of healthy, beautiful, shiny curls. We will tell you how to avoid this.
Why is flaxseed oil good for hair?
In the photo, flaxseed oil for hair
The benefits of flaxseed oil for hair and skin have long been recognized. The unique set of active substances allowed this golden liquid, extracted from flax seeds, to confidently occupy its niche in medicine and cosmetology.
The most valuable components of the oil are:
- Complex of polyunsaturated fatty acids Omega-3, 6 and 9 … They inhibit the aging process, stimulate collagen production, heal the hair structure, make the color richer, and add shine. True, it is thanks to them that the oil slightly gives off fish, but in a fresh product this smell is usually not very pronounced.
- Stearic and palmitic acid … They also participate in the synthesis of collagen, and also hyaluronic acid, simultaneously responsible for the regeneration of the scalp.
- Vitamin E (tocopherol) … It is thanks to him that masks with flaxseed oil have gained popularity for colored hair, as well as for weakened, split ends and falling out. Tocopherol improves blood circulation and the supply of nutrients to the follicles, moisturizes, relieves itching, rejuvenates and literally revives the withering strands.
- B vitamins - choline, thiamine, folic acid … They neutralize toxins, relieve inflammation and irritation, reduce dandruff, enhance general immunity, strengthen the skin's natural defenses against harmful environmental factors, and restore split ends.
- Vitamin PP (B3, nicotinic acid) … If hair begins to grow faster after flaxseed oil, say "Thank you" to niacin, which is regularly included in cosmetics for the care of weakened strands for its ability to strengthen follicles, accelerate hair growth and slow down the rate of gray hair.
- Vitamin K … It takes care of the condition of the skin, heals micro-wounds, preserves pigmentation.
- Minerals iron, potassium, calcium, molybdenum, phosphorus, zinc … Retain moisture in the tissues and hair structure, eliminate fragility, strengthen the roots.
- Squalene … It is a hydrocarbon related to the famous squalane. Our body produces it on its own as part of the natural secretion of the skin, but sometimes it needs help in this.
Regular use of flaxseed oil for hair relieves scalp inflammation and helps fight dandruff, gives curls silkiness and shine, inhibits hair loss, accelerates growth, reduces sectioning, makes the strands strong, vibrant and lush.
Contraindications and harm of flaxseed oil
There are two ways to make the active substances of flax work for the benefit of your hair. The first is to regularly make hair masks with linseed oil. The second is to take it internally to strengthen the immune system and fill the body with healing compounds that will reach the hair follicles with the bloodstream and take care of them from the inside. Both methods look harmless, but such methods are not suitable for everyone.
Who shouldn't try to use the unique properties of flaxseed oil for hair:
- Hypertensive patients, since it can increase blood pressure, including being absorbed into the body through the skin.
- Patients with pancreatitis, as the oil affects the activity of the pancreas. Moreover, it is not necessary to drink it for this, a mask may be enough to worsen the condition.
- People with cysts and tumors. Flaxseed oil saturates the body with phytoestrogens that resemble female hormones. When the body is out of order, any shake-up in this regard can lead to negative consequences.
- Allergy sufferers, because it is no, no, and it causes a scattering of red spots, itching and hives. At a minimum, test a small area of skin near your elbow or wrist before applying flaxseed oil to your hair.
- Children under the age of 5, as they are more likely to be susceptible to allergic reactions.
Note! If you are taking a sedative or medicines for ARVI, you can make masks with oil, but it is better to refrain from taking it inside. Together with sedatives and antiviral drugs, oil often causes indigestion, vomiting and poisoning. As for the use of oil internally during pregnancy, the woman should make a decision about this together with her supervising doctor.
How to choose flaxseed oil for hair?
In the photo there is linseed oil Oil King at a price of 120-150 rubles. for 250 ml.
The times of scarcity are long gone. Today it is not difficult to buy neat glass bottles with a transparent yellowish liquid in the nearest supermarket, or, if you wish, to find flaxseed oil in hair capsules at the pharmacy. But whether it will be of any use is a big question.
To get all the possible benefit from a product, you need to look for:
- First pressed oil … That is, obtained by cold pressing without the use of high temperatures and cleaning with chemicals, because only such oil retains the maximum of its medicinal properties and benefits.
- Famous brand … It doesn't matter if you want to buy flaxseed oil for hair or for general strengthening of the body. In any case, you need products from time-tested brands whose owners care about maintaining their reputation.
- Glass bottle … Plastic shortens the shelf life of the oil and degrades its performance. It is also desirable that the glass be dark, as it keeps the product from exposure to sunlight.
- Small container … Immediately after opening the bottle, the oil will begin to oxidize, and the sooner you use it, the more active substances you will receive. So it's better to buy several small bottles than one big one.
- Average cost … It makes no sense to buy flaxseed oil for hair at the price of amaranth, but it is also undesirable to look for the cheapest product.
High-quality flaxseed oil has a transparent yellow, sometimes orange tint without excess suspension and inclusions and has a subtle smell of fish oil. A strong unpleasant odor indicates that the product is likely to reach the end of its shelf life.
Popular brands of flaxseed oil:
- Solgar (USA) … The company is engaged in the production of organic vegetarian and kosher food, which will not prevent you from using the flaxseed oil presented in their range for hair growth, strengthening or general health. An amber glass bottle with a volume of 473 ml will cost 1600 rubles.
- Agroselprom LLC (Ukraine, Russia) … It has two subsidiaries GoldenKings of Ukraine and Golden Nature, the main production is located in Dnepropetrovsk. Produces a wide range of different types of oils. The estimated cost of linseed is 150 rubles. for 100 ml.
- Trawa (Russia) … The company has 2 awards in the field of healthy lifestyles. For 500 ml of raw-pressed flax oil, you will have to pay 400 rubles.
- Oil King (Russia) … Oil from Veliky Novgorod, costs 120-150 rubles. for 250 ml.
- Health Compass (Russia) … Vologda oil costing 150-200 rubles. for 500 ml. The downside is the plastic bottle.
Note! Store the oil in a cool place away from sunlight. Close the container tightly after each use!
Popular pharmacy products with flaxseed oil to strengthen hair and not only:
- Health Compass, Flaxseed oil, 180 capsules at the price of 200 rubles;
- OleFut, Flaxseed oil, 120 capsules at a price of 60-80 rubles;
- Real Caps, Linseed oil, 120 capsules, price 40-60 rubles.
Ways to use flaxseed oil for hair
Flax oil can be introduced to curls in different ways: with the help of traditional cosmetic masks, a hot compress or a relaxing comb. Let's talk in more detail about each method.
Combing hair with linseed oil
There is not always enough time for a mask or compress. But there is nothing easier than running through the strands of an oil-treated comb to make them more obedient, smoother and get rid of electrification.
How to use flaxseed oil to comb your hair:
- Buy a wooden comb (by the way, it is useful for the lock itself).
- Apply 2-3 drops of oil on it and spread over the cloves in a thin layer.
- Comb your hair.
Note! The recipe is not suitable for owners of high-fat hair. After brushing like this, they will look heavy and unkempt.
Linseed oil masks for hair
The most effective way to tidy up your hair, while investing a minimum of effort and money, is to choose a suitable recipe for a mask with linseed oil for hair and arrange a series of spa treatments. But first, don't forget to consider the type of curls you have and the problem you want to solve.
On average, women with very dry strands can use flaxseed oil 2 times a week, with normal ones - once every seven days, with oily ones - once every 10-12 days. The general course of procedures takes 2-3 months, after which you should take a long break and turn to other cosmetic products.
Effective linseed oil masks:
- Classic … 1-2 tbsp. l. Heat oil slightly on a steam bath, but do not overdo it, as it will be practically useless when hot. Rub into scalp, massaging with your fingertips. Spread the remainder along the length of the hair, wrap your head with plastic wrap and a thick towel. After 2 hours, wash off the mask, you may need to soap your hair twice for this.
- To stimulate hair growth … Using the finest grater, chop the onion until you get 3 tbsp. l. gruel, and mix with 2 tbsp. l. flax oil and 1 tbsp. l. liquid honey. Rub the resulting mass into the scalp, and saturate the strands with the rest. Wrap your hair with a film and a towel, wash your hair after 30-45 minutes, and to cope with the smell, rinse your hair with a couple of liters of water with a half lemon squeezed into it. If you are worried that lemon will not cope with the smell of onions and do not want to risk it, try an equally effective mixture for hair loss with linseed oil and pepper tincture, taken in a ratio (3: 1). With sensitive scalp, to avoid burning, pepper tincture is replaced with cognac.
- For silkiness and shine … Take 1 tbsp. l. warm flaxseed oil and the same amount of avocado oil, stir in 1 tsp. liquid honey. Scent the mask with 2-3 drops of your favorite essential oil. Connoisseurs recommend taking lavender, mint, orange, ylang-ylang and green tea, because they give the strands a shine. Keep the mixture on your hair under a heat-insulating cap for about 45 minutes, rinse off as usual.
- Dandruff … Whisk 1, 5 tbsp. l. linseed oil with 2 yolks. Protein can also be used, but you risk overdrying your hair. Stir 0.5 tbsp to the oil mass. l. mustard powder. To soften the mask, add 1 tsp into it. honey or sour cream, and for fortification - 1 tbsp. l. sprouted and chopped with a blender of wheat grains or finely grated cucumber pulp. Treat your head by carefully rubbing the mixture into the roots and smearing the strands along the entire length with the remnants of the mask. The ends, if you have them very dry, can be left intact. Let the mask work for 30 minutes and wash off with warm water and plenty of shampoo. For hair, flaxseed oil with egg and mustard serves as a source of nutrients and salvation from excess oiliness, for the skin it becomes an effective remedy against dead skin flakes, from which dandruff is formed. But if the mixture starts to burn your skin noticeably in the process, go to the bathroom without waiting until 30 minutes have elapsed. And make sure that the mustard streaks from your hair do not get into your eyes!
- For oily hair … Steam 1-2 tbsp. l. butter, combine with the same amount of lemon juice. Work all the way down to the ends, but avoid the roots. Hold the mask under a warming cap for 30 minutes, rinse with plenty of shampoo. Cosmetologists recommend using flaxseed oil recipes with caution for hair prone to greasiness, since overdoing it can aggravate the situation.
- For dry hair … Mix 1 tbsp. l. linseed and coconut or palm oil. Strengthen the mask with 2-3 drops of essential oil. For dry strands, ginger, jasmine, lavender, myrrh, chamomile and grapefruit are considered the best choices. Distribute the mass through the hair, wrap it up with plastic wrap and warm with a towel. Rinse off after 40-45 minutes.
Note! Flaxseed oil and honey in hair masks are found at every turn. They make the curls soft and glossy, so it is not forbidden to add 1-2 tsp. honey in almost any recipe for a cosmetic mask.
Linseed oil compresses for hair
In fact, a compress is not too different from a mask. That is, you can treat your hair with the proposed composition, wrap it in a film and a towel and rinse it off after a certain time. Or you can do a little trickier.
How to apply flaxseed oil for hair as a compress:
- Combine 1 tsp. jojoba, linseed and burdock oil.
- Add 1 tbsp. l. horsetail extract (sold in a pharmacy) or a decoction of dry herbs of the same plant.
- Inject 2-3 drops of vitamin A in oil.
- Treat the problem area of the hair with the mixture: the ends, if they split, or the main length, if the strands have lost their shine and strength. The only thing is, do not apply the mask to the roots, unless they are extremely dry.
- Wrap your hair in a plastic bag.
- And then the curls need to be properly warmed up so that the hair scales open under the influence of heat, and the active substances of the oils penetrate as deeply as possible. How exactly, we will tell you below.
- After 30 minutes, all that remains is to wash your hair.
How to ensure the flow of heat to the mask:
- A hot towel heated on a battery or in a microwave oven at minimum power.
- Double insulated caps filled with silicone balls or … flax seeds. They are also heated in a microwave oven, after which the flax retains heat for a long time.
- Two towels: one moistened in hot water and wrap the hair, and the second, dry, fix the structure.
- A jet of hot air from a hair dryer. There are even special caps with a "tail" into which the nozzle is inserted before pressing "Start".
- Electric caps powered by the network.
Real reviews of flaxseed oil for hair
In order not to be unfounded, let's see what reviews on specialized sites say about the use of flaxseed oil for hair. The following are the most revealing ones.
Alina, 25 years old
I have fairly dry hair that is regularly exposed to heat from a hair dryer and iron. For preventive purposes and to enhance the shine, I make a simple mask with linseed oil and 3-4 drops of orange or grapefruit ether (I do not apply to the roots). As a result, they look more elastic, citrus ester adds shine even to my dull hair, and besides, just a funky citrus scent, it lasts about a day for me!
Christina, 23 years old
I decided to buy this oil, made a hair mask with it, kept it for about 1, 5 hours. It washes off well, although I read a lot, which is bad, and the result was visible from the very first mask. The hair became more alive, after a month it completely recovered and even grew a little. I am satisfied with this oil, only I will take it. It is indispensable for our hair and health in general. I advise everyone!
Anna, 28 years old
I add it to oil-based hair masks. The recipes can be different, the compositions too. I prefer this: 1 tbsp. l. oil solution of vitamins A and B, almond oil, sea buckthorn oil, linseed oil. Do not be lazy, ladies, in the fight for health and good looks. Flaxseed oil will be a good helper for you.
How to use flaxseed oil for hair - watch the video:
How flaxseed oil is good for hair, you now know. Well, decide for yourself what to do with this information. We can only say one thing: if you consider including it in your hair care program and follow the precautions strictly, you will surely not regret it.