How to cook fried borscht at home? A step-by-step recipe with a photo and all the secrets of cooking. Video recipe.
Borsch is the most delicious symbol of Ukrainian cuisine. Bright and rich color, with an appetizing aroma, hearty and nutritious broth. It is used with donuts, croutons, baguette, rich bread … And there are so many interesting recipes for its preparation! Borscht is cooked with porcini mushrooms, dumplings, eggplants, meatballs, chicken, all kinds of meat, sugar beets, cherry juice, smoked ribs, dried fruits, sauerkraut and other products. To cook any of these types of borscht, you need to know some secrets. Because borscht is a multicomponent and complex dish that requires knowledge and sequence of processes.
In this article, we will talk about another alternative, how to cook red fried borscht at home. This is one of the simplest versions of this dish that any aspiring chef can handle. The recipe is particularly simple and accessible. There is nothing complicated here, but the borscht turns out to be excellent. All products are first fried, and then poured with broth and turned into borscht. Also, the recipe pleases that there is no need to attract additional pans for separate frying of vegetables. This principle reduces the cooking time of borscht without compromising its taste.
- Calorie content per 100 g - 92 kcal kcal.
- Servings - 6
- Cooking time - 1 hour 15 minutes
- Meat (any sort) - 500-600 g (I have pork)
- Beets - 1-2 pcs. depending on the size
- Potatoes - 2-3 pcs.
- Table vinegar - 1 tablespoon
- Dried celery - 0.5 tsp
- Onions - 1 pc.
- Carrots - 1 pc.
- White cabbage - 200-250 g
- Greens (parsley, dill) - small bunch
- Tomato paste - 2-3 tablespoons
- Garlic - 2-3 cloves
- Vegetable dressing (if available) - 1 tbsp
- Vegetable oil - for frying
- Salt - 1 tsp or to taste, Black ground pepper - 0.5 tsp.
- Bay leaf - 2 pcs., Allspice peas - 4 pcs.
Step by step cooking red fried borscht, recipe with photo:
1. Wash the meat, dry it with a paper towel and cut into medium-sized pieces across the grain. Take a cauldron, a kettle, a wok, a pressure cooker or, like mine, a teflon-coated pan. Pour vegetable oil into it, heat it very well and put the pieces of meat.
2. Fry the meat over high heat until golden brown, so that the pieces are covered with a golden brown crust on all sides, which will seal all the juice inside.
3. Peel the beets, grate on a coarse grater and send to a saucepan with meat.
4. Immediately pour in the vinegar and stir. It is necessary for the beets to retain their bright and rich color. Lemon juice can be used instead of vinegar. The same products will slightly acidify the borscht.
5. Peel the carrots, wash, grate on a coarse grater and send to the pan to the food.
6. Stir and grill vegetables and meat over medium heat. Add vegetable oil if necessary, and if desired, add a little drinking water to simmer the vegetables slightly.
7. Peel the potatoes, wash, cut into medium-sized pieces and place in the pan. Choose tubers that are not boiled.
8. Stir the food and continue to fry and simmer under the lid for 20 minutes. The most successful option is not to fry the vegetables, but to caramelize - simmer over moderate heat.
9. Wash the white cabbage, remove the top leaves. they are usually lethargic and dirty. Then dry with a paper towel, chop into thin strips and send to the pan to the food.
If using winter white cabbage, it needs more time to cook, about 10 minutes.Therefore, lay it when the potatoes are half cooked.
10. Stir the ingredients, add oil if necessary and add a little drinking water so that the food is fried and stewed.
11. Add tomato paste and vegetable seasoning to a saucepan. The latter consists of twisted tomatoes, onions and bell peppers. If you do not have such a sauce, add one chopped tomato and, if desired, a pepper of any color: green, yellow, red, orange.
12. Season food with salt, black pepper, dried celery and any spices to taste. I put in dried herbs and chili peppers.
13. Mix everything well and put the peeled onion into a saucepan.
14. Pour drinking water into a saucepan and boil. Boil covered over low heat for 40 minutes. Since I use pork in my recipe, it cooks quickly, so the cooking time can be different. Depending on the type of meat used.
15. When the borscht is ready. Remove the boiled onion from the pan. He has already given his taste with aroma. And immediately add the bay leaf with allspice peas. Although, if you wish, you can cut it into half rings and fry it with carrots.
16. Peel the garlic, wash, pass through a press and add to the borscht. You can not skip the garlic through a press, but heat it in a mortar with salt. But the classic dressing for borscht is pounded lard without skin with garlic. Therefore, you can do this. Although lard can be removed from the recipe, but garlic - in no case. Without it, delicious borscht will not work. The garlic aroma gives the dish a bright, juicy and very appetizing taste.
17. Greens, wash, dry, chop finely and add to the saucepan. Boil the fried borscht for 2-3 minutes and remove the pan from heat. Let it sit for 15-20 minutes to soak in its own aromas. Then serve rich red fried borscht with sour cream, herbs, donuts …