Many people avoid cooking cabbage rolls, thinking that this is a long and complicated process. But if you know all the subtleties and the classic recipe, then the dish will be ready in a minimum of time and with minimal effort.
- Step by step cooking
- Video recipe
Stuffed cabbage is a traditionally Ukrainian dish, although its counterparts are found in many national cuisines. Today there are many options for their preparation - with Peking and Savoy cabbage, with buckwheat and mushrooms, in the oven and on the stove, pre-fried in a pan or without frying. To allow yourself to go to the "advanced" level and conduct culinary experiments, you need to understand and learn how to cook them in the classic version, and these are cabbage rolls with meat and rice.
How to cook meat cabbage rolls correctly?
Choosing cabbage for this dish is not an easy task. The head of cabbage should be dense, but not tough, otherwise the leaves will be difficult to separate from each other. Fruit size is medium. Few cabbage rolls will come out of small heads. Strongly large heads of cabbage are also not suitable, otherwise the cabbage rolls will come out the size of the sole. There are some more recipes in cooking that will be useful to learn about.
- For stewing, use a saucepan with a thick or double bottom so that the cabbage rolls do not burn. If there is none, then a vegetable pillow is made of carrots, peppers, onions, tomatoes, etc. Cut the vegetables into medium pieces and put them on the bottom of the dish, salt and add a little water. Smoked meats or pieces of bacon, sausage, ham, etc. are also added to the pillow. A little water is added during cooking to prevent the pillow from burning. But it is better to simmer over low heat, then additional water is not required.
- For stewing, instead of water, use dry wine or juices, for example, tomato, grape, apple and others to taste.
- When stewing, put a few pieces of butter on top - the dish will be much tastier.
- Stuffed cabbage rolls are stewed on a hob over low heat in a closed saucepan, deep frying pan, roast pan, or on a baking sheet in gravy.
- Caloric content per 100 g - 96.6 kcal.
- Servings - 20-25 pcs.
- Cooking time - 1 hour 45 minutes
- White cabbage - 1 pc.
- Pork or other type of meat - 1 kg
- Rice - 150 g
- Tomato paste - 2-3 tablespoons
- Sour cream - 400 ml
- Onions - 2 pcs.
- Garlic - 3 cloves
- Bay leaf - 4 pcs.
- Allspice peas - 3-5 pcs.
- Vegetable oil - for frying
- Salt - 1.5 tsp or to taste
- Ground black pepper - pinch or to taste
Cooking cabbage rolls with meat
1. Pour water into a large cooking pot and place on the stove. Rinse the head of cabbage, remove the dirty tough top leaves and stick a knife or fork into the stump. Dip his pot of boiling water.
2. Boil the head for 3-5 minutes to soften the leaves and begin to remove them one by one. To do this, hold the head of cabbage by the handle of the knife with your left hand, and with your right hand, cut the leaf at the base of the stump with the other knife. Pry up the cabbage leaf and peel it off gently. Repeat this procedure until you have removed the maximum number of leaves.
3. Rinse the rice under running water several times to remove all gluten and boil in salted water until half cooked.
4. Wash the meat, remove the films with veins and pass it through a meat grinder, or buy ready-made minced meat. Peel the onions and garlic and twist as well.
5. Add boiled rice, tomato paste (or tomato puree of fresh tomatoes), salt, pepper and any spices to the minced meat.
6. Mix the minced meat well until smooth.
7. Cut the hard base off the cabbage leaves and place a portion of the filling on one end.
eight. Wrap the stuffed cabbage in an envelope. First cover the top edge, then wrap the sides and wrap the sheet in a tube.
9. Heat a frying pan with vegetable oil and put stuffed cabbage to fry.
10. Fry them on both sides until golden brown over medium heat.
11. Put the fried cabbage rolls in a thick-bottomed saucepan.
12. Prepare the sauce. Dissolve sour cream and 2 tbsp in 300 ml of drinking water. tomato paste. Season with salt and pepper and mix well.
13. Pour the sauce over the cabbage rolls.
14. Place the pot on the stove, cover, bring to a boil, reduce heat to low and simmer for 1 hour.
15. Serve the finished meal warm. When serving, the dish can be poured with sour cream if desired.
See also the video recipe on how to cook stuffed cabbage rolls with meat, rice and carrots on a carrot and onion pillow (Recipe from Chef Ilya Lazerson).