Description of oat kvass, home cooking recipes. Calorie content and composition, benefits and harms to the body. Cooking use.
Oat kvass is a sour soft drink made by fermentation from oat grains or flour and naturally carbonated. Color - from light yellow to rich ocher with a slightly greenish tinge, taste - soft, sour, with a slight spice. After consumption, astringency remains as an aftertaste. The consistency depends on the density, it can be liquid, like water, or a little stringy. The drink is considered primordially Russian.
How is oat kvass made?
For the preparation of the starter culture, the raw materials and malt (mash) are mixed under industrial conditions, kept at a high temperature, due to which the starch is decomposed into sugar and dextrin, organic enzymes are introduced - fermentative fungi and lactic acid bacteria. Fermentation produces lactic acid and alcohol.
Due to the long exposure, lactic acid fermentation suppresses the activity of the alcoholic fungus, alcohol practically disintegrates. The sourdough is mixed with water and the drink is packaged in containers, adding carbon dioxide, or after the dehydration process (evaporation of the liquid) it is sold in dry form.
At home, this sourdough is diluted with plain or carbonated water, adding raisins, honey and other ingredients to your liking. But to be sure of the naturalness of the product, it is better to do everything yourself.
How to make oat kvass:
- Classic recipe… 300 g of peeled oat grains are washed, poured into a glass jar with a volume of 3 liters, add 4 tbsp. l. granulated sugar, pour in warm boiled water so that 7-10 cm remain up to the neck. Close the neck with gauze folded in several layers. The container is placed in a warm place for 3-4 days. The end of fermentation is indicated by no more bubbles. A sieve with fine holes is covered with gauze, the liquid is drained, and the thick is filtered. This is the leaven. It is again poured with water and the same amount of sugar is added. The drink is ready in 3-4 days. If the taste is still not satisfied, all the manipulations are repeated. Sometimes 3-4 times fermentation is used to obtain a high-quality starter culture.
- Recipe for oat kvass with raisins and honey… 250 g of oats are pre-washed with running water and soaked for 3 hours, rinsing 2-3 times. The liquid is drained, again poured with warm water (1 l), 30 g of sugar are added and left for 4 days in a warm place for primary fermentation, closing the neck of the jar with gauze. Drain the liquid, pour in the starter culture again 2.5 liters of water, add 2 tbsp. l. honey and 50 g of raisins (preferably pitted). Leave warm under gauze until the end of fermentation.
- Recipe with coffee… This drink not only has an original invigorating taste, but also a rich color. Oats (10 tbsp. L.) Are soaked in hot boiled water for 3 hours, washed, poured with a new portion of water (the amount does not matter), add 2 tbsp. l. sugar, put in the sun for fermentation under cheesecloth. Once fermentation is over, the liquid is drained. Pour another 1 tbsp into a jar with sourdough. l. sugar, 2 tbsp. l. honey and raisins, 1 tsp. freshly ground coffee. Pour in water, as already described in recipe # 1, and leave it in the sun for one day. In the evening, pour it into small jars, add water and cover with gauze. You can taste it in 2-3 days.
- Oatmeal kvass recipe… Dilute 5 g of yeast with warm water with 40-60 g of sugar. Pour 150 g of oatmeal (or Hercules), pour water and add the yeast mixture. Leave for 2-3 days in a warm, bright place, tying the neck with gauze.The resulting drink can be drunk after the end of fermentation, but it is still better to use the usual preparation scheme: drain the liquid, add sugar and leave to re-ferment for another 2 days.
- Bread and oat kvass… Within 2 hours, 1 glass of washed oatmeal is soaked, the water is changed (2.5-3 liters are poured) and cooked over low heat for 10 minutes. Cool the viscous broth, but so that it remains warm, filter, pour 1.5-2 liters into a glass jar with a volume of 3 liters. Pour in 2-2, 5 tbsp. l. sugar and add 50-100 g of rye crackers or bread. Leave to ferment in a warm place, constantly checking not to over-acidify.
- Milk-oat kvass… To prepare the starter culture, prepare 2 cups of washed oat grains, 2 tbsp. l. raisins, 1 tbsp. l. kefir, 1 tsp. honey. Everything is placed in a glass jar, poured with warm water, the neck is closed with gauze and set to ferment. After 3 days, the water is drained, and the leaven is diluted with water and sweetened to taste.
The finished drink should be stored in a cool, dark place. Useful properties persist for 3 days.
Composition and calorie content of oat kvass
In the photo, oat kvass
The simplest drink contains the minimum amount of ingredients - water, oats and sugar. When made at home, preservatives, flavorings and dyes are not used.
The calorie content of oat kvass is 52.5 kcal per 100 g, of which
- Proteins - 1.3 g;
- Fat - 0.8 g;
- Carbohydrates - 9.9 g;
- Dietary fiber - 1.6 g;
- Ash - 0.433 g;
- Water - 86 g.
Vitamins per 100 g
- Vitamin A, RE - 0.4 μg;
- Beta Carotene - 0.003 mg;
- Vitamin B1, thiamine - 0.063 mg;
- Vitamin B2, riboflavin - 0.016 mg;
- Vitamin B4, choline - 14.79 mg;
- Vitamin B5, pantothenic acid - 0.134 mg;
- Vitamin B6, pyridoxine - 0.035 mg;
- Vitamin B9, folate - 3.63 mcg;
- Vitamin E, alpha tocopherol, TE - 0.188 mg;
- Vitamin H, biotin - 2.017 mcg;
- Vitamin PP, NE - 0.5378 mg;
- Niacin - 0.202 mg
Macronutrients per 100 g
- Potassium, K - 56.68 mg;
- Calcium, Ca - 19.59 mg;
- Silicon, Si - 134.454 mg;
- Magnesium, Mg - 18.99 mg;
- Sodium, Na - 5.76 mg;
- Sulfur, S - 13.75 mg;
- Phosphorus, P - 48.5 mg;
- Chlorine, Cl - 17.18 mg.
Microelements per 100 g
- Aluminum, Al - 264.9 μg;
- Boron, B - 36.8 μg;
- Vanadium, V - 26.89 mcg;
- Iron, Fe - 0.748 mg;
- Iodine, I - 1.01 μg;
- Cobalt, Co - 1.076 μg;
- Manganese, Mn - 0.7072 mg;
- Copper, Cu - 81.18 μg;
- Molybdenum, Mo - 5.244 μg;
- Nickel, Ni - 10.797 μg;
- Tin, Sn - 4.38 μg;
- Selenium, Se - 3.2 μg;
- Strontium, Sr - 16.27 μg;
- Titanium, Ti - 23.13 μg;
- Fluorine, F - 99.76 μg;
- Chromium, Cr - 1.72 μg;
- Zinc, Zn - 0.4854 mg;
- Zirconium, Z - 8.26 μg.
The benefits and harms of oat kvass are determined not only by the rich vitamin and mineral complex, but also by other substances in the composition. It contains nonessential and essential amino acids, alcohols, a complex of fats (polyunsaturated, monounsaturated and saturated), including omega-6 and omega-9, sterols (sterols). An overdose of sterols has a negative effect on the immune, hormonal and nervous system, disrupts the production of sex hormones and lipid metabolism.
Useful properties of oat kvass
The drink is appreciated not only for its taste, but also for its healing properties. How useful is oat kvass, folk healers of ancient Russia knew. It was recommended to give it to scrofulous and rickety children, weakened adults and patients with tuberculosis. Now the product is often used as a means for tyubage (cleansing the liver and bile ducts). Official medicine recommends including it in the diet of persons with a history of various types of hepatitis and cirrhosis of the liver. They drink the drink in a course of 4-6 weeks, the frequency of repetition is 3-4 times a year.
The benefits of oat kvass
- Improves the quality of nails, eliminates brittle hair.
- Accelerates the healing of purulent wounds, helps cleanse the skin.
- Stimulates the dissolution of "harmful" cholesterol that accumulates in the lumen of blood vessels.
- Accelerates the recovery of muscle tissue, including the myocardium.
- It improves the tone of the body, helps to cope with chronic fatigue, to recover from emotional stress, speeds up falling asleep and improves the quality of sleep.
- Suppresses the development of neurosis.
- Oat kvass does not possess anti-aging properties, but it slows down the appearance of age-related changes, eliminates puffiness under the eyes and increases skin turgor.
- It is useful for pregnant women, as it contains folic acid, which is necessary for the formation of a neural tube, and increases resistance to viral infections.
- It has a mild diuretic and choleretic effect.
- It normalizes metabolic processes, accelerates digestion, increases the acidity of gastric juice, suppresses pathogenic microorganisms that invade the digestive tract.
- Reduces cravings for tobacco, helps to get rid of the bad habit - smoking.
Despite the sugar content in the composition, the glycemic index of homemade oat kvass is relatively low - in the range of 15-45 units. In addition, fermented oats stabilize the functioning of the pancreas.
Oat kvass prepared according to a classic recipe at home with a minimum amount of ingredients will quickly get rid of excess weight. When losing weight, the vitamin and mineral reserve of the body is not depleted, but is steadily replenished with useful substances necessary for normal life.
Contraindications and harm of oat kvass
The allergenic danger of the drink is low, but it can also provoke unwanted reactions in the body, especially when added to the composition of additional ingredients.
Abuse of oat kvass can cause harm with increased acidity of gastric juice, chronic gastritis and peptic ulcer disease. In case of liver and kidney diseases, the drink is taken only for medicinal purposes, in a course, the average daily rate is no more than 800 ml per day.
Temporary refusal is necessary for exacerbation of enterocolitis and enteritis, gout, arthritis. For diabetes mellitus, you should cook yourself, choosing recipes with a low amount of sweetener, replacing sugar with honey. With urolithiasis, colic may appear due to the advancement of calculi.
For weight loss with oat kvass, individual reactions of the body can become contraindications. With regular introduction into the diet, flatulence increases, and the mild diuretic effect is replaced by a pronounced one. In this case, you should choose a different method of weight loss or change the way of use. For example, set aside weekends for unloading and drink only during this time.
The use of oat kvass in cooking
The drink is rarely used to dress cold soups, but it can be used to make refreshing cocktails. The taste goes well with fruit and berry juices.
Oat kvass drinks:
- Non-alcoholic sangria… Cut an orange, lemon, nectarine and 2 apples without peeling, but remove the seeds. The finer the slices, the easier the juice will separate. Fruits are put in an enamel pan or glass jar, 1-2 tbsp. l. sugar, put in the refrigerator. After 1-1, 5 hours, cold green tea (300 ml) and home-made oat kvass (1 l) are poured into the fruit. Stir, decant the liquid, pour into glasses with ice and decorate each portion with mint.
- Sea buckthorn cocktail… The berry (70-80 g) is kneaded with a crush, rubbed through a sieve. Mix the juice, half a glass of oat kvass and 300 ml of highly carbonated water. Serve with ice.
- Apple cocktail… Combine 150 ml of oat kvass with 50 ml of apple juice. Honey and cinnamon to taste.
Oat kvass for weight loss
In the 21st century, when the fashion for weight loss reached its apogee, studies began to be carried out on the effect of the most popular "natural fat burners" on metabolism. An interesting property of the fermented drink was found out. Whatever recipe is used for the preparation of oat kvass, prolonged use and abuse against the background of a low-calorie diet disrupts the work of the endocrine system.
When the metabolism is accelerated, the fat reserve is not deposited, which means that the pancreas, thyroid and adrenal glands limit the production of hormones. In the future, this leads, at best, to rapid weight gain, at worst - to the development of dangerous diseases: impaired renal function, thyrotoxicosis, and so on. To prevent this from happening, you should not reduce the total calorie intake of the daily diet. It is enough to change the nature of the diet. That is, eat, drink and lose weight.
There are several ways to use oat kvass for weight loss
- drink a drink before each meal;
- use as a snack;
- drink food;
- drink only on the fasting day - 1 time in 1-1, 5 weeks.
When losing weight, it is advisable to adhere to a diet with a predominance of fruits and vegetables, with a daily calorie content of 1700-1800 kcal.
The best way to use is 4 glasses of oat kvass a day 30 minutes before meals. The maximum duration of unloading is 3 months, but it is better to limit it to 8-10 weeks. If you do not forget about playing sports, during the first week you will be able to get rid of 2-3 extra pounds.
Correct use of oat kvass helps to acquire the desired volumes, heals, soothes, replenishes the vitamin and mineral reserve of the body. But do not forget, this is also a very tasty soft drink. You can drink it with the whole family, along with children. Of course, if they have reached the age of 2 years.
Interesting facts about oat kvass
Oatmeal kvass is considered a primordially Russian drink, and it is classified as a bread variety, since grain is also used for baking bread. However, the Egyptians were the first to make it: handwritten papyri with a description of a similar product are dated to the 4th century BC. A little later, the fermented drink began to be prepared in Ancient Greece.
The first mentions in the Old Russian chronicles date back to 989, however, it contained a grain mixture (wheat, oats, barley), and the fortress, according to structural studies of the remains on the shards of pottery, was at the level of 5-15%. It was from that time that the word "ferment" appeared. Until the beginning of the 19th century, when beer was brought to Russia, the average per capita consumption was up to 200 liters of kvass per year, and in hospitals, hospitals, monasteries and children's institutions, preference was given to a drink made from oat grains or flour.
At the end of the 19th century, recipes for oat kvass from whole oats were reprinted in newspapers and magazines. At that time, it was officially proven that the drink accelerates recovery from cholera, typhoid fever, and even preserves life with anthrax.
It was found that bacteria that cause diseases die in an acidic environment after 20 minutes. The sick were given oat kvass without fail. There were no antibiotics at that time, people had to rely only on their own immunity, therefore, funds with antibacterial properties, which simultaneously strengthen the body's defenses, were valued.
Watch a video about oat kvass: